One of those jobs...

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crooksey

Hi Lads,

Went to look at a job last night, friend of a friend (always the case with these jobs), anyway...

I get there and hes asking me to re-plaster the stairwell, which would be a bitch on its own as its full height from ground floor, almost 4m. Thats not really a problem, what is a problem is the walls.

This place is ex council id say around 80 years old maybe. Its had two coats of wallpaper over it and vinyl paint for what seems like a very long time.

All of the plaster has blown, but I think its lime plaster, it seems to have hairs in it and the plaster isnt crumbling and snapping like you would expect, its more like damp cardboard consistency.

Here is a shot, of where he started to take the paper off:

Now also some parts of the wall on the other side sound hollow, I chipped a tiny bit of plaster back to find hardboard like sheets under it, not plasterboard.

Now as the walls are quite big areas, and as you can see a mix of mortar, wood and bricks, what do you suggest my best course of action is?

I was guessing, take it all off, EML over the wood, then re lime render the solid walls.

Then when finding hardboard, remove and replace with plasterboard, what happens if this wall is a mix of lime render and hardboard, EML the hardboard?

He has three kids (one a baby), is it safe to remove all the plaster in one go?

If this was for any old customer I would have passed the job on, but trying todo him a favour.

All help appreciated

Sounds a right mess! If your goin to take it all off why not line it all with pb and skim it?

The walls underneath the lime are so bad that I think they would need re-rendering just in order to stop them falling down. I would love to board over it, but really think the walls might suffer.

Also the stairwell is the narrowest ive ever seen, so dont want to loose to much space.

The walls underneath the lime are so bad that I think they would need re-rendering just in order to stop them falling down. I would love to board over it, but really think the walls might suffer.

Also the stairwell is the narrowest ive ever seen, so dont want to loose to much space.

If its that bad that the walls are ready to fall down he better move out with the kids..., that is some favour you are doin for him! It cant be that bad surely? If the walls as you say are falling down a coat if render aint going to solve it?if you are taking all the plaster off,rake out joints and repoint the brickwork to stabalise , and dab pb on. If youv taken all the plaster off then dabbin you shouldnt be makin the stairway any smaller. How do you know how bad the walls are? If you ain stripped all the plaster off?

If its that bad that the walls are ready to fall down he better move out with the kids..., that is some favour you are doin for him! It cant be that bad surely? If the walls as you say are falling down a coat if render aint going to solve it?if you are taking all the plaster off,rake out joints and repoint the brickwork to stabalise , and dab pb on. If youv taken all the plaster off then dabbin you shouldnt be makin the stairway any smaller. How do you know how bad the walls are? If you ain stripped all the plaster off?

Agreed apart from the bit about Dabbing the walls wont make it any narrower, dabbing is atleast the thickness of a board thicker than the thinnest you could lay any render on! so atleast an inch can be lost if dabbing two opposite walls.

I can tell all the render has blown under the paper as I touch it and it flexes up to an inch.

The walls are so bad behind, hes going to call the council in as its a massive job and I cant do a weeks work for a mate of a mate. I think hes still in the process of buying it off them so given a full price for all the work (more than his 100 budget) so hopefully he can knock the price of the quote off of the house.

Its about 3-4mm thick and the whole walls are swaying with touching it. I spoken to a mate who did a job in the same road and ended up having to rebuild a whole wall, safely say im walking away!!

Status
Not open for further replies.