Opinion needed.

Members online

Wouldn't get paid for that shite in domestic world/ On site you'd probably get a bit of bread n water
I've done absolutely loads of domestic work over the years and witnessed even more domestic work done by others. There's no one more delusional about the quality of their own standards than a day in day out domestic spread. There are good and bad both on site and on domestics.
We've done several coffers on the 'one off' builds we tend to work on and it's impossible to replicate the lights that will finally go in, yet we've never once been 'tugged' on them. I still don't kid myself that our work is flawless.
ramsden-bellhouse-05.jpg
fyfield-coffer-03.jpg
fyfield-basement-07.jpg
barrington-kitchen-02.jpg
barrington-coffer-02.jpg
barrington-breakfast-04.jpg

I've done absolutely loads of domestic work over the years and witnessed even more domestic work done by others. There's no one more delusional about the quality of their own standards than a day in day out domestic spread. There are good and bad both on site and on domestics.
We've done several coffers on the 'one off' builds we tend to work on and it's impossible to replicate the lights that will finally go in, yet we've never once been 'tugged' on them. I still don't kid myself that our work is flawless.
View attachment 28749View attachment 28750View attachment 28751View attachment 28752View attachment 28753View attachment 28754

I’ve found the opposite.. site spreads I know couldn’t give a f**k they just wanna bang on £600 a day. Smashing the sqm out neglects the quality. And who can blame them? They’re in a world of rush. Everything is about speed not quality. New build quality now is absolutely disgusting compared to what it used to be.

Guy who trained me up had the mentality of getting everything done right regardless. His reputation and work was flawless and he charged accordingly. Hes done it all and offered me good advice early on.

No debate there. We all know a brutal light shows everything. The debate is that the work in pictures here is rough as f**k, light or not. Shudder marks are shudder marks f**k all to do with light.. it's just rough. Surely you agree.

Nobodys work is perfect but some of us try harder than others. I have OCD and even if a wall being tiled I can't not finish it properly (also, customer can suddenly change mind on layouts)
As I've said, I'm sure that work does look poor in the natural light, but they shouldn't expect it to be flawless with that sidelight.

E7422B5F-855A-4B8A-8142-E2C0FF13FF69.jpeg
This is a wall on a stair case some other firm had done
I was doing the bedroom at front
U can still see similar marks like them on the oringnal pics at start in daylight

As I've said, I'm sure that work does look poor in the natural light, but they shouldn't expect it to be flawless with that sidelight.

Agreed. But the customer isn’t being overly critical, he’s asking for the opinion of plasterers.

And the correct answer is that work is rough. There is no debate.

I’ve found the opposite.. site spreads I know couldn’t give a f**k they just wanna bang on £600 a day. Smashing the sqm out neglects the quality. And who can blame them? They’re in a world of rush. Everything is about speed not quality. New build quality now is absolutely disgusting compared to what it used to be.

Guy who trained me up had the mentality of getting everything done right regardless. His reputation and work was flawless and he charged accordingly. Hes done it all and offered me good advice early on.
In fairness I haven't worked on a 'normal' site for many years now, things may be worse than when I did. Even now though I see some dreadful shite in the domestic market, quite often the client is perfectly happy with the work as well. Ignorance is bliss they say.

View attachment 28755
This is a wall on a stair case some other firm had done
I was doing the bedroom at front
U can still see similar marks like them on the oringnal pics at start in daylight

You’ll see judder marks with lights off lol.

The real question is why was it left. s**t happens. Lose grip, new trowel whatever and bang theres a train track. The fact it was left is the question. It’s not like you wouldn’t notice. If anything it should make the hairs on ur neck stand up when u feel it happen.

Agreed. But the customer isn’t being overly critical, he’s asking for the opinion of plasterers.

And the correct answer is that work is rough. There is no debate.
Then they should turn off the lights and take some new pictures.

In fairness I haven't worked on a 'normal' site for many years now, things may be worse than when I did. Even now though I see some dreadful shite in the domestic market, quite often the client is perfectly happy with the work as well. Ignorance is bliss they say.

That’s a whole other debate I guess. One side is “customer knows f**k all about plastering so happy with anything” and I’m sure that happens.

The other side though is that customers have unrealistic expectations of plastering too. And expect absolute perfection under all lights. Also, you’re not pals with the decorators behind you and he will be very quick to slag the spread off to customer. As will the chippy etc.

I’ve had a customer bring me up on the finish of a wall before i drove home. It was a wall I’d bonded out. I told him to have a look when I’ve skimmed it.

On site theres the friendly painter. The snag man who knows what can be sanded etc. Then theres the site thats a month behind and corners are cut with cheap fast firms in there.

Its an endless debate but there is less tidy spreads than rough ones

That’s a whole other debate I guess. One side is “customer knows f**k all about plastering so happy with anything” and I’m sure that happens.

The other side though is that customers have unrealistic expectations of plastering too. And expect absolute perfection under all lights. Also, you’re not pals with the decorators behind you and he will be very quick to slag the spread off to customer. As will the chippy etc.

I’ve had a customer bring me up on the finish of a wall before i drove home. It was a wall I’d bonded out. I told him to have a look when I’ve skimmed it.

On site theres the friendly painter. The snag man who knows what can be sanded etc. Then theres the site thats a month behind and corners are cut with cheap fast firms in there.

I've been on loads of jobs where the decorators were far from friendly until they'd actually worked on my work. I did have one decorator get shitty with me because I was pulling of the job, he reckoned he'd priced the job thinking he'd be following me and that I was costing him money by leaving lol.
I worked for the same developer for twenty+ years and they didn't even have anyone to make good or sort out problems with the finish.

You’ll see judder marks with lights off lol.

The real question is why was it left. s**t happens. Lose grip, new trowel whatever and bang theres a train track. The fact it was left is the question. It’s not like you wouldn’t notice. If anything it should make the hairs on ur neck stand up when u feel it happen.
Shocking as it’s the wall u walk up by as u go up the stairs all I can say the lad must have skimmed with all doors shut in just the pendant on as light

How much time have spent on site? Reading all bs I can tell none!

I'll do my best mate...

Have you worked on site and if yes, which will surprise me, for how long?

Don't give me that b*ll***s anyway. There was a time when site spreads were the real deal. SC, screeding, all that shite. Proper spreads.

Most site spreads now are skimmers. I get calls every other week begging to go skim board on site @ £3.50/4.25. Any muppet can get on site. Even andy g who struggled to bond n skim a wall all pimpled up on him can just walk on site when he feels like it .

Theres some proper firms out there who have solid systems who do well on site. But the majority of them now are 20 year old meth heads coked up and red bulled up with speedskims n sponges 1 coating boards.