Patching up with plasterboard ?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

christiffa25

Hi guys, after some tips on patching up where a fireplace has been removed.

It's down to bare brick behind where the fire place used to sit. My idea was to use plasterboard to patch up and level the brick with the plaster remaining on chimney breast.

Hows best to secure plasterboard to brick?
There is not enough depth to use adhesive or Batton out.

I was thinking of drilling a few holes through plasterboard and brick behind but found it made big holes in the plasterboard... To big for the screw!

So experts what's the best way for patching walls ect with plasterboards? Or should i say best way of fixing them in place?

Cheers

If its to shallow for adhesive then it should be bonded out instead.then skim the lot for the best finish.if your not confident then get a plasterer in to do it.:)

I'm Fine with the skimming it all. It was just the patching really. The gap in depth is just right for some plasterboard if it can be attached. Seemed alot easier to board it than bonding it all.

Not got any at mo... If you just imagine a chimney breast with a square hole at the bottom where a fire used to sit, and all round the square hole about 60cm all round, The plaster has been knocked off to bare brick. Towards the external corners the plaster is still there and obviously above the fire place hole (60cm excluded) the plaster is all still sound and well. It's just getting the brick level and to butt up with the remaining plaster in prep for skimming

If your not going to get a plasterer to do it properly, you could dab the plaster board up with grip fill.

Not got any at mo... If you just imagine a chimney breast with a square hole at the bottom where a fire used to sit, and all round the square hole about 60cm all round, The plaster has been knocked off to bare brick. Towards the external corners the plaster is still there and obviously above the fire place hole (60cm excluded) the plaster is all still sound and well. It's just getting the brick level and to butt up with the remaining plaster in prep for skimming

If I am understanding correctly you want to fix ti the wall but screws won't do? Try plastic
mushroom plugs ,drill hole,hammer them in till just flush with pb.
View attachment 1331

Why try and make the job more complicated than it needs to be ?, just use bonding as said and use the exsisting plaster to level off then skim when ready skim .

Status
Not open for further replies.