Pebble dashing

If you're dry dashing don't let it pull in too much. Make the receiver almost fluffy, so it spreads, if the stones are bigger, obviously need a heavier coat, but generally you're not too bad depth wise, slightly less than a float coat,but heavier than a scratch. (way we do it anyways) coat it on nice and flat, coat up and down then trowel across it, and flick the stones at it. If you let it pull in, the stones won't stick right, will bounce off. If it's roughcast, better to let it pull in a bit, but it sounds like normal dry dash uv described
I have read it 10 times , but still can’t understand what thickness should be the top coat.

I have read it 10 times , but still can’t understand what thickness should be the top coat.
Depends on the size of stones. I also don't think there is a set thickness lol. If I was to guess id sary 6-8mm on average:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
It is best to have a good scaffold as you need to get to all of the wall easily (and quite quick if the sun comes out). i prefer not to use a tower if you are doing a full wall and not just a panel or a bay.
next thing is to remove all of the down spouts and waste pipes, some plasterers like to leave the down spouts on if it is a big wall as you can hide a joint behind them but i would recommend that if the wall is to big then just get more men in to do the work.

With all that done you can now bead up, put all the bell-cast beads on and the corner beads (IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE THEM).

Now for the top coat, you can go around and cover all the windows if you are not that conferdent at throwing the stones. you should start on the opposite wall to where the sun is shining and try to complete each wall before the sun comes round. soak the wall with a hose pipe first then when you look at the wall you will notice a glisten on the surface from the water, once the glisten has gone you can start to put the top coat on, some plasterers like to use lime in the top coat to give a lighter background to the finished job, when the top coat is on you should rule the wall with the feather edge and fill out all the hollows until the surface is full and flat. once done you should put down sheets at the bottom of the wall to catch all the stones that dont stick, all your stones should be in buckets on the scaffold and the ground where you are working (they should have been washed and dried out in the sun a day before).
now start throwing the stones, you use the flick of the wrist, its all in the flick of you wrist when dashing load the scoop up and then sort of shake it to level the stone of then throw straight at the wall I've seen guys throwing with the scoop at an angle and it looks awful, if you throw them too hard then you will cause the topcoat to move and sag, you only want to throw them so they stick to the wall as you can press them in with a clean float to make sure they stay on.
now go and pick all of the stones up from the sheets, these should all be washed and dried out fore the next wall.