Plaster depth gauge beads

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
You leave them in. No tape over them required. Level of them then 2-3 mm finish coat over that. They don't corrode as intended for internal applications only. Also known as screed beads.

When re plastering after the removal old and deep horse hair and lime at 30mm deep, I used to use strips of 9.5mm plasterboard stuck on as a depth and rule guide. all ways found that helpful. Doesn't make me a bad person :D

Fastest way iv se out to float is
use door trim batten cut to lenth you want floor to ceiling then use a 6ft level to plumb them up nailing in place with packers behind each bay just under 6ft wide soo you can rile off.
then just fill in the bays once you have ruled off pull the batten out and fill the gaps double check the float and finish as needed.

Fastest way iv se out to float is
use door trim batten cut to lenth you want floor to ceiling then use a 6ft level to plumb them up nailing in place with packers behind each bay just under 6ft wide soo you can rile off.
then just fill in the bays once you have ruled off pull the batten out and fill the gaps double check the float and finish as needed.
you really are a ******* weapon

This technique works for us.
its fast clean easy to set up and take off the wall when your finished! 006 (7).jpg

If some one comes up with a way of doing things ie setting out bays along a wall to float ready for a skim coat and.
This works for that person and the end result is a clean flat wall ready for painting wheres the problem???

hows it fast by the time youve messed about with packers battens and nails i would have it on and be ruling.

if you get in to a rythem it can be quite fast if you spent that little bit of time in the morning or afternoon.
Setting up ready then there's no stopping its simply just a case of mixing and getting it in on the wall as there is battens as a guide there's no need.
To keep stopping and checking with a level im not saying its faster then a time served spread that has been doing it for years but. It leaves a 100% plumb flat wall ready to set over.

@plasticfantastic all these posts prove is that you and your chums are DIY standard chancers, not proper tradesmen.
I would also add that any builder/developer that accepts you fixing battens to work off is also a clueless chancer.

Last edited by a moderator:
we only done this because we was asked to by the builder!!
not worth arguing with him as there will be anther spread willing to do it.
with the way things are you need to take all the work you can get if not some one else will. and not moan about!!!!!

i did say the battens are removes after the wall is completed then the gaps filled
005 (8).jpg smooth flat straight plum ready for setting :RpS_thumbup:
its not the normal way of floating out but guys do it in germany for MP75 funny how it works for them!!!

All that proves is that the builder has absolutely no confidence in "your" floating capabilities.
In thirty odd years I've never had a builder ask me to use battens or depth beads, but that's probably because they've used me because they're confident of getting a good finish in the first place.

Thinking about it he probably uses you knowing your rough but cheap and this his way of getting cheap and not quite so rough.

ha ha ha rough yer ok lol@u.com
he wanted to use battens because he makes all his spreads use them dont ask me why
he make bricklayers use profiles and his roofers to use hip runners
its the fist time we worked for the guys soo gust went along with it

as people have said in the past on here if you come up with a way of doing things that others may or may not like it your name is mud to them but if it gets the job done and its finished well and paints good why is there a problem???
same as speedskims and plastic trowels? now your bitching about bays for hardwall??
It works it gets the job done and finished good whats the problem.
next your be saying you cant use the same mix for two coats or you cant use a sponge float or water bottle

hi i'm new to this site but have been a spread for 37 years ( dont know where the time has gone !)

I have been using depth gauge beads for about 10 years, only on tiled areas, when it makes it much much quicker and a perfect finish every time, ( provided you know how to plumb them up )
I can see from the comments above that the site has a few chancers , "battens on the wall" !!! the proper term is "grounds" but hay ho

when i have a tiled area, I only float and no need to set, however if some of the wall is painted, set the whole wall, the beads dont crack through the finish, they are perforated on every side (unlike stop beads)

is it not best to set the walls before tiling rather than tiling onto a backing coat?

sorry i mis read your post ....i only float the wall if the whole wall is tiled , there is no need to set, ....the tiler is perfectly happy and so am i as it saves me time

so why do the germans use them in all their mp75 vids?

they always seem to have all the time in the world, setting up beads, brushing all the walls. seems a nice life really

Status
Not open for further replies.