Plasterboard Above A Window.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I've just registered on here to ask a quick question.

I'm about to plasterboard a wall in our conservatory but am not sure how to fix the plasterboard above the window. I was intending to use board adhesive, so do I just support the board at the bottom with a couple of long pieces of wood? Once the adhesive has set, I assume it is easily strong enough to hold the plasterboard in place once the supports are removed? Is this correct?

Dab the board to the head of the window first making sure that it over hangs about 50mm. Leave to set then use the over hang to support the board above. When that has set cut off the excess with a board knife or an old saw. Welcome BTW.

Or put a couple of nails through the board into the brick/block joints and remove when set or cut the side boards to allow you to rest the top board on them

Thank you for your quick answers.

As it was originally the external wall of the house (before the conservatory was built) there's no usable window rebate which would support the board. Using the rebate as a support does sound a good method for internal walls though, so I will remember it.

I did think about supporting it with the side boards but there's only 20cm one side of the window (it's actually French doors) and 50cm the other. The width above the window is 1.7 metres which is over the standard size of board width, so the side boards weren't wide enough to support.

It's quite handy having these answers because it has jogged me into a decision. I'll leave the side pieces a little wider so that they're wide enough to support the board above the window, then cut the remainder away when they've set.

I've used a bit of both of your answers, the cutting off excess from one answer and supporting on the side boards from the other has been a great help. I'd just got to a point in my head where I couldn't decide what to do and it was damn annoying. I needed the guidance.

Thanks again, for all your help and the different methods you gave.

I did reply yesterday but as I'm newly registered, the post is waiting for approval by the moderator (unless it hasn't been approved). I guess this one will too.

Thanks for your advice. I'll make the 2 side boards a little wider than they need to be, so that they are wide enough to support the top board. I'll then cut away the surplus after they've set. It'll save me trying to work around the lengths of wood that I was going to use.

As it was an outside window, it hasn't a usable rebate for the other method (but no one would have known that).

This will be the first time I've put up some plasterboard and I'm sure it ain't going to be great. I was just a bit worried that the adhesive was strong enough to hold the board above the window (actually French doors) after it had set and that it wouldn't drop onto my head at a later date. Even though I know all the other boards will be suspended 3 inches off the ground downstairs, I still couldn't convince myself that the one above the window would be safe. I'm ok now though.

I should think I've repeated some of the details in my last message but I don't know if that one is to be posted.

Thanks again for your help

What kind of adhesive you used?
I fixed a plywood sheet on my kitchen wall with wooden adhesive but it has lost the grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.