Plastered Ceiling - Good Finish?

CLH_1

Hi,
I'm looking for some advice on a plastering job I've had done in my bathroom.

I live in a 1930's semi. The walls have been skimmed and by and large, the finish is pretty good. A couple of tool marks, nicks and splashes but they should be able to be sanded and filled if necessary before the final colour goes on.

My concern is my ceiling. Now being a 1930's house, the ceiling isn't plasterboard flat but the skim finish to me seems awful and different to the walls. I can see tool marks, ridges in the plaster, it's lumpy in places and is rough to the touch. I doesn't feel at all that this is ready to paint. It doesn't appear to be 'polished'.

From the photo's, please could I have your advice?

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 153
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Pic3.jpg
    Pic3.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 146
  • Pic4.jpg
    Pic4.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 146
Hi,

I live in a 1930's semi. The walls have been skimmed and by and large, the finish is pretty good. A couple of tool marks, nicks and splashes but they should be able to be sanded and filled if necessary before the final colour goes on.

My concern is my ceiling. Now being a 1930's house, the ceiling isn't plasterboard flat but the skim finish to me seems awful and different to the walls. I can see tool marks, ridges in the plaster, it's lumpy in places and is rough to the touch. I doesn't feel at all that this is ready to paint. It doesn't appear to be 'polished'.

I can't tell anything from those pictures, apart from the fact you're not a photographer.
Plaster shouldn't be polished, it should be matt and sort of have a grain to it.

I can't tell anything from those pictures, apart from the fact you're not a photographer.
Plaster shouldn't be polished, it should be matt and sort of have a grain to it.
"A sort of grain to it" ? What kind grain are we talking about here, mate ?

Hi,

Are you in Glasgow by any chance ?

Hi,

Looks like someone’s been at that with a silly boy sponge.

It's been sponged and 'plasterer' got onto it too late. Should be fine with a quick blitz using 120 sandpaper.