Pricing

What’s your Mrs got to go with anything.. and I’m not looking down my nose at anyone. Your Mrs will get holiday pay she’ll get a pension etc these are all things to consider if your self employed is my point. It’s clowns like you working for chump change that drags the trade down.
Clowns like me haha. I make far more than £100 a day as I work purely off recommendations and good at my job. I just don't judge people who haven't got as much work on and who's day rate is less. All I'm saying about people in normal jobs is some of them are on 15k so what's the problem earn 22k on £100 a day? Put 7k in a pension if you really want... Still better pay than alot of people.
Plus holiday pay is irrelevant, they're still on 15k per year compared to 22k

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agree
Reactions: Djr
Clowns like me haha. I make far more than £100 a day as I work purely off recommendations and good at my job. I just don't judge people who haven't got as much work on and who's day rate is less. All I'm saying about people in normal jobs is some of them are on 15k so what's the problem earn 22k on £100 a day? Put 7k in a pension if you really want... Still better pay than alot of people.
Plus holiday pay is irrelevant, they're still on 15k per year compared to 22k

The problem is if you want a mortgage, have to support a couple of kids, want a pension, 1 holiday a year, eat out now and again, business overheads etc etc...

You have no chance charging £100 a day. More like £250 to £300.

If you are living at home with parents and just want to pay your Xbox subscription monthly, £100 a day is fine.

trouble is though with trades is people understand the trade but forget the business side of things.

As far as pensions.... I dont have one... my state one will be worth nothing so I have piled money into property and then using that capital growth to buy more... it may all go tits up and I could lose the lot... However my wife is a high paid teacher and so I only spend within her means so if it all goes wrong she can still support our lifestyle.

What a lot of people don't realise is that when they get a payrise they think they cans spend more...

I got a mate who was on £18K a year and always skint.,.. he is now on £60K a year and still skint... he increased his spending with his wage increase.

Amazing how using a spreadsheet for a year can show how much ££'s you waste on absolute shite

trouble is though with trades is people understand the trade but forget the business side of things.

As far as pensions.... I dont have one... my state one will be worth nothing so I have piled money into property and then using that capital growth to buy more... it may all go tits up and I could lose the lot... However my wife is a high paid teacher and so I only spend within her means so if it all goes wrong she can still support our lifestyle.

What a lot of people don't realise is that when they get a payrise they think they cans spend more...

I got a mate who was on £18K a year and always skint.,.. he is now on £60K a year and still skint... he increased his spending with his wage increase.

Amazing how using a spreadsheet for a year can show how much ££'s you waste on absolute shite
Murphy's law

If your working for sub £150 a day self employed your an absolute mug
I do but I've got a year's work out of this boy and no end of contacts. I make a bit on the labourer and a lot more on his recommendations.

Send labourer to do a 400 euro job, pay him 120, pocket the difference and then look all humble when I ask the Big Cahoona for my measley 120 a day for myself.

I do but I've got a year's work out of this boy and no end of contacts. I make a bit on the labourer and a lot more on his recommendations.

Send labourer to do a 400 euro job, pay him 120, pocket the difference and then look all humble when I ask the Big Cahoona for my measley 120 a day for myself.
A means to an end my ex squaddie friend

@djfleming22 Mate your working for the wrong people. If you dont get the job fcuk them. Price the next one. Theres loads of work about.

I wouldn't worry about losing a bedroom for 300 quid wasnt like it was a good earner. More of a I'd best price this to get it.

Take a chance on your next 3 or 4 quotes, chuck a couple of hundred quid on each of them and see what jobs you win. If you get 2 out the 4 you've made 400 for doing feck all.

Even if you get 1 you've made 200 on top of job. Just keep pricing to make money rather than just a wage.

@djfleming22 Mate your working for the wrong people. If you dont get the job fcuk them. Price the next one. Theres loads of work about.

I wouldn't worry about losing a bedroom for 300 quid wasnt like it was a good earner. More of a I'd best price this to get it.

Take a chance on your next 3 or 4 quotes, chuck a couple of hundred quid on each of them and see what jobs you win. If you get 2 out the 4 you've made 400 for doing feck all.

Even if you get 1 you've made 200 on top of job. Just keep pricing to make money rather than just a wage.
I just can't bring myself to do it. I'm to nice to customers and mug myself off because of it I think. I charged £100 to take someone's fireplace off, cut out the bit of plasterboard behind it, dot and dab new bit then skim and blend in yesterday after a days work and the whole 4 hours I was there I just thought wtf am I doing. I need to start pricing for me rather than for the customer. Don't get me wrong I make decent money per day but I mug myself off on small jobs

Done work for couple . Just moved in to big house stuck extension on . Audi on drive . End of month not got a pot to piss in .

I just can't bring myself to do it. I'm to nice to customers and mug myself off because of it I think. I charged £100 to take someone's fireplace off, cut out the bit of plasterboard behind it, dot and dab new bit then skim and blend in yesterday after a days work and the whole 4 hours I was there I just thought wtf am I doing. I need to start pricing for me rather than for the customer. Don't get me wrong I make decent money per day but I mug myself off on small jobs
The one off jobs are were I make money, I'm in no hurry a piss easy day. Rip out a fireplce board up skim £240, away 4 and I've used materials I've already got.

I priced jobs on what it would take me to want to do it...

Pricing is not difficult...
Day 1.. Sheet and prep
Day 2.. Board and skim
Day 3.. Cove

3 days @ £150 =£450 + £100 for materials

Total £550

You now know how long job will take. What you need to do each day and what costs are involved..

What most do is say...£250 then when they get the job start thinking how will I make money at this. People will be nice. People will give a hard luck story but that won't pay your bills..

Day 1.. Sheet and prep
Day 2.. Board and skim
Day 3.. Cove

Total £550

You now know how long job will take. What you need to do each day and what costs are involved..

What most do is say...£250 then when they get the job start thinking how will I make money at this. People will be nice. People will give a hard luck story but that won't pay your bills..
It takes you aslong to sheet up as it does to board and skim lol

Walk in think of a number then double it.

Seriously I make more on my own jobs just prefer to pimp trowel out on day rate. Some days I get a day rate for sweeping up . Some days can do loads . Swings and round abouts

Day 1.. Sheet and prep
Day 2.. Board and skim
Day 3.. Cove

Total £550

£150 a day FFS! That’s peanuts!
Are you paying the tax on that???

150 is peanuts to sheet up?
£150 is peanuts, depends how much sheeting up there is, I've had jobs that have taken all day sheeting and masking, it's part of the job, not going to charge any less for doing so.

I'm just assuming just a normal job is 20 mins to sheet up.
Only time its taken few hours is spraying that tryolean shite.

But back to the point earning 150 a day is shite. If you're putting a shift in. I wouldnt pay someone 150 day If they were pissing about drinking tea and smoking all day and doing feck all.

It's all relevant.

I
150 is peanuts to sheet up?

I'm just assuming just a normal job is 20 mins to sheet up.
Only time its taken few hours is spraying that tryolean shite.

But back to the point earning 150 a day is shite. If you're putting a shift in. I wouldnt pay someone 150 day If they were pissing about drinking tea and smoking all day and doing feck all.

It's all relevant.

I agree, don't know why he was saying a day sheeting for your average job!

My breakdown was only an example. I break down every job and set a time and I know what I need to do every day and price for it. I also price materials. I turn up with what's needed and don't go shopping at 9am..

Packexe £30
Masking £10
Plaster £30
Cove £60
Cove adhesive £20
Pva £15
Sundries £15 (bags, cleaning, paper towel ect)
Removal of waste £30
If over 15 miles I add a bit for fuel

The job

Sheet up and remove all wallpaper.. 1day

Remove damaged cornice then pva ceiling then skim ceiling 1day

Prepare walls for plastering then plaster walls 1day

Fit new cornice 1day

Half day to snag up and tidy

4.5 days labour plus materials = price

Only difference between trades would be the day rate.. Job also needs to come in on time or your working for nothing. I also charge to remove waste unless they say they will deal with it... £20—£50 depending or its a skip but that's rare as I'm only small business.. Yes I have waste licence

I know a lot of lads that charge 150 day and I wouldn't pay them that! They dont bust balls chat all day stress free. But I say good on them if there happy.

I do wonder if I'm the idiot busting my balls for more.

My breakdown was only an example. I break down every job and set a time and I know what I need to do every day and price for it. I also price materials. I turn up with what's needed and don't go shopping at 9am..

Packexe £30
Masking £10
Plaster £30
Cove £60
Cove adhesive £20
Pva £15
Sundries £15 (bags, cleaning, paper towel ect)
Removal of waste £30
If over 15 miles I add a bit for fuel

The job

Sheet up and remove all wallpaper.. 1day

Remove damaged cornice then pva ceiling then skim ceiling 1day

Prepare walls for plastering then plaster walls 1day

Fit new cornice 1day

Half day to snag up and tidy

4.5 days labour plus materials = price

Only difference between trades would be the day rate.. Job also needs to come in on time or your working for nothing. I also charge to remove waste unless they say they will deal with it... £20—£50 depending or its a skip but that's rare as I'm only small business.. Yes I have waste licence

Good for you mate

You shouldn't need to bust your balls for decent money, I know I dont!

Totally agree with that pricing btw, charge for everything, bags for sockets, masking tape, rubble sacks, plastic sheeting, wipes for windows.. all adds up!

Talking of pricing though I've just had 3 quotes to replace fascias, soffits and gutters at my house. £1200, £1750 and £2980... And I'm going to go with the £1200, because it's the only fair price out the lot, plus company actually has the best reviews of the lot. I worked out materials myself as I was half tempted to do it and it was £400. Which leaves 2 blokes £200 a day each to fit it.
So 2 blokes nailing and screwing a few lengths of guttering are getting the same wage as alot of us per day. Whenever I say £450 for a double bedroom again I think it'll be more than fair in the scheme of things.

I almost phoned the £2980 to tell him he was a robbing c**t and should be embarrassed but thought better of it
Just had my done did it in mahogany we live a semi paid them cash price removed all existing stuck wood supports in above gutter for facials
cleaned up ,done a day hurt me to give them the cash though £1500 -500 a day each I reckon main thing I know they’re done a top job

Just had my done did it in mahogany we live a semi paid them cash price removed all existing stuck wood supports in above gutter for facials
cleaned up ,done a day hurt me to give them the cash though £1500 -500 a day each I reckon main thing I know they’re done a top job
Always nicer to be the one recieving the cash! I talked the 1200 quote down to 1000 all in, 3 of them did it in a day. 200 each and 400materials, I can live with that, just lol

Day rates don't exist in my opinion..

It'd take best part of a day to re skim a small toilet, let's say £200+ materials..

Now if you can skim a 3m x 4m bedroom in a day, that is about 10x the size, why the f**k would you charge the same money? You charge what a job is worth, not how long it takes.

If I boarded and skimmed a 30m2 ceiling in a day a I'd want a hell of a lot more than £200 for doing so.. I think a lot of people get all hung up on this day rate business, as soon as you start charging what a job is worth you realise just how much you can often 'get away' with.. you also work harder and smarter if you there isn't a set ceiling of what you are allowed to earn.

How would you go about pricing a 3m x 4m room ?

Answer it with a question. Politician style! Are you stripping the paper? Oh that’s a nice dog, see you Monday.

If the customer has a dog I ALWAYS take a knee and pat it.

I always do that anyway because I like dogs but I hope that the customer thinks that dogs are a good judge of character.