problem with wallpaper that wont come off

• Thread starter Deleted member 29624
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29624

On a house im currently doing noticed some wallpaper around the very top of the room...from the ceiling to about a foot down from the ceiling....i asked the customer to strip it ready for monday...they gave me ring today and said nothing will get it off even the steamer and said they were having to chisel the plaster off to get it off and he asked me to skim over it.... just wanted opinions on what I should do...is there any prep that would make it still a proper job and not a cowboy job that will fall off in a few weeks...probably get a bit of abuse for the post but its a genuine question, when we noticed it me and the labourer had a go at it and it was like rock.

On a house im currently doing noticed some wallpaper around the very top of the room...from the ceiling to about a foot down from the ceiling....i asked the customer to strip it ready for monday...they gave me ring today and said nothing will get it off even the steamer and said they were having to chisel the plaster off to get it off and he asked me to skim over it.... just wanted opinions on what I should do...is there any prep that would make it still a proper job and not a cowboy job that will fall off in a few weeks...probably get a bit of abuse for the post but its a genuine question, when we noticed it me and the labourer had a go at it and it was like rock.
Is it woodchip? Put some pva on it let it kick in then shud loosen up..its wallpaper lodan it wil come off with a bit of persistence..

Not woodchip, almost looks likes paint, really thin, we sponged it down and it made no difference it was rock hard and had to chip into the plaster inch by inch...problem is customer has now refused to do it saying they cant.

It was built in 1880 and the stuff looks really old but just wont budge

Try a bonding agent like micro. It carries very little fluid so dries fast. If the paper won't come off then you don't have many more options than knocking the plaster back to brick.

Mix up a bucket of skim and give it a thick coat don't bother trowelling, give it an hour then get the scraper on it :):fuckyou: can't believe I've just found the emojis lol and it was an accident :bailando:

Bet its been glossed over a few times aswell..tbh I wudnt even care if there refusing to do it f**k em..get sum blue grit on it and skim away..I'm at the point now where if I get customers who say I ain't taking it off its 2 hard id be like ok luv Il just skim it..

Try a bonding agent like micro. It carries very little fluid so dries fast. If the paper won't come off then you don't have many more options than knocking the plaster back to brick.
Yeah though that might be the answer, with knocking off and hardwall gonna loose half a day and dont think ill get more money, told to skim over and that will be fine:(

Mix up a bucket of skim and give it a thick coat don't bother trowelling, give it an hour then get the scraper on it :):fuckyou: can't believe I've just found the emojis lol and it was an accident :bailando:
U never knew where emojis were and ur a moderator lol..wondered y u only did winks and smiles

Bet its been glossed over a few times aswell..tbh I wudnt even care if there refusing to do it f**k em..get sum blue grit on it and skim away..I'm at the point now where if I get customers who say I ain't taking it off its 2 hard id be like ok luv Il just skim it..
Grit was my first thought..even the steamer wont penetrate it

Lads the client isn't bothered so y shud lodan? I hate clients like that f**k them lodan blue grit it and skim it unless she agrees extra fees

Is that a serious suggestion? Never know with you flynnybob

Use to do what flynny said... done that a few times best wall paper stripper there is

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

You can get a small tool called a hedgehog (like a computer mouse but with little teeth on wheels) which basically scores the wall, a Stanley will do the job but a hedgehog seems to do a better job. Day before score the wall then soak in some very hot water with vinegar (cider vinegar is better) next day will come off a treat

just skim over it. ive skimmed whole hall stairs and landings over three floors when the owners said they couldnt get get the woodchip off. skimmed a boarded up doorway once in an I****n restaurant in birkenhead. the board was on the outside in the yard. told him it wasnt right but he insisted so i did it.

More to point how the f**k can someone 2 weeks off a course have a fookin labourer!!!

Worlds gone mad!!!

Talk about blind leading blind!!!

Last edited:
just skim over it. ive skimmed whole hall stairs and landings over three floors when the owners said they couldnt get get the woodchip off. skimmed a boarded up doorway once in an I****n restaurant in birkenhead. the board was on the outside in the yard. told him it wasnt right but he insisted so i did it.
As long as the owners know...

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

If I asked them to take it off and they didn't and I show up to do the job. Am skimming it not my problem

@Lodan I forgot I could bring my flame thrower and burn it off yeah ?
problem with wallpaper that wont come off

More to point how the f**k can someone 2 weeks off a course have a fookin labourer!!!

Worlds gone mad!!!

Talk about blind leading blind!!!
I aint got an answer just trying to make my life easier not trying to be his mentor or anything just glad of the help...he sent me a txt the other week saying he was looking for labour work....glad to see you back even if you are calling me(y)

Just use zinsser dif, wallpaper stripper that is, you just knock it up and spray or rolling on or brush on, it will get the lot off. Not tried it on wood chip yet but I'm sure it would work on that too.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I know the covering you are talking about.you can pva it but it might bubble in areas,,it is pretty impossible to shift even with a paint stripper.grit it.but as above say to customer it's not spec to plaster over..some of that stuff had what look painted patterns on it,,,,Victorian circa,,,,was in a house 2 months ago for another phase I done work 3 years ago in ,it was not painted,no issues