Rendering badly out of level wall

Foss

Hi Guys
My 1st time post here so hello everyone :D

Am looking for advice about a customers property - she has a 2up 2down with worst cowboy extension ever . She needs bathroom rendered with S+C & sika1 but the walls are badly out of level with the worst wall being 20mm out at one end & 50mm at other end. The wall twists outwards at the top.
It would require 60mm render in the worst place to get level.
some paint is there too.

I was thinking expanded metal sheets & loads of scratches.

My mate thinks it should be lined with metal stud & cement boards but I want to render it if possible because sum1 else will do the job if its to be lined.

Anyone got experience with this type of problem ?

Last edited:
Hi Guys
My 1st time post here so hello everyone :D

Am looking for advice about a customers property - she has a 2up 2down with worst cowboy extension ever . She needs bathroom rendered with S+C & sika1 but the walls are badly out of level with the worst wall being 20mm out at one end & 50mm at other end. The wall twists outwards at the top.
It would require 60mm render in the worst place to get level.
some paint is there too.

I was thinking expanded metal sheets & loads of scratches.

My mate thinks it should be lined with metal stud & cement boards but I want to render it if possible because sum1 else will do the job if its to be lined.

Anyone got experience with this type of problem ?
Welcome on board mate. After much pondering & consideration for 10 seconds, I would rib-lath the walls - at the low points use screws & spacers to hold the rib-lath off the wall and screw it tight on the high points, this way your not risking 60mm of heavy s&c. Rib-lath is really great for keeping walls straight & level especially a bathroom that's probably going to be tiled.

that sounds like a nightmare

get some pictures up as it may give us a better idea on what is what :D

I wouldn't fuff about dubbing out 60mm personally. Stud it out, ply on it so they have something to fix things to in the future then aquapanel. Why wouldn't you do the studs and lining? I never done metal always use timber but can't be too much of a hassle

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hi guys thanks for swift replies.

The wall in question is actualy the garden wall that the cowboys used to cut costs while building the bathroom. It is the worst bodge ive ever seen - in the kitchen they put browning & skim on top of OSB roof board to save money. Today I had to chisel wood from the bodgers doorframe upright - the plaster had cracked because they put 1mm skim on top of the wood. The list is endless.

My mate John been plastering 47 years he never seen anything like it lol.

Will upload some piccys so u can see for urselfs

I like the rib lath Idea but im thinking metal stud + backer board will be cheaper for her

Id like to render it cos if she wants it studded we wont get the work - she got other guy does chippy etc.

Last edited:
Welcome on board mate. After much pondering & consideration for 10 seconds, I would rib-lath the walls - at the low points use screws & spacers to hold the rib-lath off the wall and screw it tight on the high points, this way your not risking 60mm of heavy s&c. Rib-lath is really great for keeping walls straight & level especially a bathroom that's probably going to be tiled.

If I did this would I have to fill the gap With S+C to get the render to stick to the rib or will it stick to the lath with just a prick coat & nothing behind to grab on ?

We are using plastering sand 3/1 with sika1

Last edited:
It is four points on the wall using S/C and bedding in about 3 inch SQ plywood pieces.

Once all points are level screeds can be formed horizontal and vertical, then fill between screeds.

This is a method that isn't used much these days, but if you want a pukka-true wall to the mm, you can't beat this method.

High rib lath, stainless will last longest, use stainless fixings as well, scratch the worst end of the wall a couple of times to bring it out, then dot and screed it for plumb. First coats would need to be strongish mix, weakening in subsequent coats. Do this over some time to get best results. Studs and backer board will be quicker.

You could stick slabs if you want to keep the job for yourself maybe double slab the tops where its badly gone in and throw a few mushrooms in it for safety .
I wouldnt bother though Id just get the wall battened and packed out

After reading the various options I think the metal stud will be best & cheapest for her. I did want the job & it was ours to do until we looked at the walls. She wanted everything waterproofed with sika so was looking for a way to do that for her.

Thanks for all the input