Skimming on paint

Is blue grit really necessary tho... In order to keep cost down won't devil float and pva do?
Blue grit is definitely worth its wait in gold if skimming over these type of back grounds..
I use board finish (low suction back ground) let it pick it then sponge float before flattening down..
The reason for using the sponge over blue grit is purely for an easier finish on the last trowel..
The finish will not got greasy and it will feel loads lighter on the arm when troweling up..
It’s trial and error when skimming over blue grit or any other type of primer but I feel the sponge float is definitely the way forward..
Every plasterer works different from the next Plasterer but this is a system that works well for me;)

Need to skim a couple of walls in a bedroom which has a semi-glossy finish, like a tough resin based emulsion on top of what is probably some fairly old plaster.

The way I see it, I could either run over it with a low grit sander or summut to give a key and then PVA and skim while tacky or coat directly with a bonding agent (I've not used this stuff before) before skimming.

Any thoughts?
Thistle bond it m8
Leave it 24hrs
Crack on

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Settled on Blue Grit in the end due to the lower cost and no real suggestion that Bostik or Thistle are significantly superior. 'New Formula' on the bucket I think means that you get 6 hour minimum drying time instead of 24 - so that was nice.

Fairly pleased with the results, thanks to all those that offered advice.

Attachments

• Skimming on paint
    IMG_3606.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 322
Settled on Blue Grit in the end due to the lower cost and no real suggestion that Bostik or Thistle are significantly superior. 'New Formula' on the bucket I think means that you get 6 hour minimum drying time instead of 24 - so that was nice.

Good man..there is not really much difference in any of the primers it all does the same thing..
I like to sponge float the skim coat when laying over primers..
I find that you can trowel the fat giving you an easier finish much more trowel friendly on the arm on your last trowel and less greasy..;)

A Henry! Damn good hoovers

A Henry! Damn good hoovers
Give me a Henry over a Dyson any day of the week! Dyson's are SO overrated.
Good man..there is not really much difference in any of the primers it all does the same thing..
I like to sponge float the skim coat when laying over primers..
I find that you can trowel the fat giving you an easier finish much more trowel friendly on the arm on your last trowel and less greasy..;)
Yeah - I'm not sure the first coat did my trowel any good - I think I should have used a shitty old Ragni I use for lesser tasks. That said, I don't think it would affect my level of plastering a great deal!

Give me a Henry over a Dyson any day of the week! Dyson's are SO overrated.

Yeah - I'm not sure the first coat did my trowel any good - I think I should have used a shitty old Ragni I use for lesser tasks. That said, I don't think it would affect my level of plastering a great deal!
If you can here the first coat scrapping the grit m8 you are going to thin..don’t worry it comes with experience..Plastering takes years to master and blue grit is not the easiest of back grounds to skim over..
I took a look at your job and apart from the tiger stripes you left behind I’ve seen a lot worse so good effort ;)

If you can here the first coat scrapping the grit m8 you are going to thin..don’t worry it comes with experience..Plastering takes years to master and blue grit is not the easiest of back grounds to skim over..
I took a look at your job and apart from the tiger stripes you left behind I’ve seen a lot worse so good effort ;)
Thanks dude. My finishes are certainly getting better and I mostly focus on avoiding what will be more obvious once painted......a small area of the ceiling in that room is a bit of a FAIL, especially when the daylight from the windows is coming in, but there's not a lot I can do about it I don't think...it's not the end of the world and unnoticeable with the lights on.

Will certainly try and lay it thicker with the grit on the last 2 sections behind the rads though...thanks for the tip!

Thanks dude. My finishes are certainly getting better and I mostly focus on avoiding what will be more obvious once painted......a small area of the ceiling in that room is a bit of a FAIL, especially when the daylight from the windows is coming in, but there's not a lot I can do about it I don't think...it's not the end of the world and unnoticeable with the lights on.

Will certainly try and lay it thicker with the grit on the last 2 sections behind the rads though...thanks for the tip!
No problem m8 go out and but yourself an orange sponge float around a tenner your best bet is wickes don’t think b and q sell them but I maybe wrong..
First coat with a decent spread on to get over the grit then second coat flatten down let it pick up then sponge float the skim make sure you trowel down while still tacky or else you will struggle getting the pattern out..
Sounds easy talking about it but as you well know Plastering is an art form so practice makes perfect..good luck ;)