Small time VS Big time

Members online

Its hard to find lads to work with..they need the same work ethic and temperament. Iv give up trying and work on my own now...some how im earning more and alot happier just doesnt figure!!!
Must be more productive in your own,instead of carrying passengers

I started out working in a large gang and when I went out on my own I had about 4 to 6 guys with me was always a hassle lads not turning up listening to there problem s marking money when things go well and losing it when the don't vans fuel bills tax I just work on my own now most of the time get help if I need it for bigger jobs would like to have a young lad to train sometimes but then other days I am like f**k it stay on my own grumpy plasterer

Great thread lads, makes me not feel like we're the only ones . We are a 2 gang, been going 20 years , we used to sub out full houses and made so little it wasn't worth it, plus the hassle.
Someone once told me that you won't make anything substantial with between 4-6 subbies because you'll struggle to make your own wage on the tools because of looking out for them. You need 10+ then the profit will pay you a good wage and you don't need to be on the tools. But then you lose the quality that got you the work in the fist place.
We just get help on odd days here and there now, even that's a stress.
I've got to disagree with that mate. I did very nicely thank you with less than ten subbies. And I was always on tools, I wouldn't have had it any other way.

was that on New builds Andy? I'm glad you did well. There will be reliable good quality lads out there who are happy to sub. Not many though.

was that on New builds Andy? I'm glad you did well. There will be reliable good quality lads out there who are happy to sub. Not many though.
Yes mate all new builds, I can't imagine how you could run a firm employing more than a couple of guys on private domestic jobs.
You'd just be competing against endless one man bands.

Yes mate all new builds, I can't imagine how you could run a firm employing more than a couple of guys on private domestic jobs.
You'd just be competing against endless one man bands.
Exactly mate, much easier to run a few gangs when on sitework. But you'd still have to have a dedicated team of lads.

Also I suppose it depends on how much extra you wanna make, I'm sure we all have different opinions on what is worth it and what isn't.

Iv the opposite problem then everyone else. All the lads I take on are better than me so I have to let them go.