Sponge float - is the use restricted to boards?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoTrowels

Hi, first post:RpS_biggrin:

I know the use of sponge floats here seems an emotive subject so I apologise in advance for asking another question :RpS_thumbup:

I have searched for the answer to this but came up blank, it seems all the talk of using a sponge float is for skimming boards.

Can you use a sponge float for the finish coat on top of bonding or hardwall? is Multi the best stuff to use when sponging?

You use a sponge float on universal one coat/ knauf one coat, why would you use a sponge on multi ?? brush and trowel is what you need, gotts be proper rough to have to sponge multi up to gety a finish..lol

Thats how some are doing it now Cassie.1 coat of multi,sponge then 2 trowels job done!!!

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

U should put up a vid of u doing it.:RpS_thumbup: How long does it take u to do a set.

i was thinking that, maybe if ur doing a small wall then you could in theory spend 3 hours fukin about with it and need no water, but Ive never seen a plasterer not splash small amounts of water to help with final trowelling...

gibbo trowels with no water ive done it one or twice but unless you know the exact timings on when to do it ivr found it more of a ballache so i give it a little dab of water here and there just makes it easier

I watched a guy use a speed skim once and for me it takes all the skill out of troweling up.

For me 1st pass with a s/steel m/town then switch To a S/steel refina s*p*r*lex, no water at all, i wipe the trowel with a micro fibre cloth rather than brush it to keep water off the finish, 2 passes with the super flex and the multi looks like it grew there, no tears or tiger stripes just a bang on finish.

For me 1st pass with a s/steel m/town then switch To a S/steel refina s*p*r*lex, no water at all, i wipe the trowel with a micro fibre cloth rather than brush it to keep water off the finish, 2 passes with the super flex and the multi looks like it grew there, no tears or tiger stripes just a bang on finish.

U have to make a vid mate. I'd love to see it.

U should put up a vid of u doing it.:RpS_thumbup: How long does it take u to do a set.
Dont save masses of time 20mins ish per set but what you get is an exceptional finish especially coming into the winter months when multi is greasy old shite, if you keep the water off its a dream even in the cold.

Nope, every one who has sponged anything on the site im on has been shown the gate, maybe its possible to get a decent finish with a sponge but ive never seen it. And until i do ill stick with a trowel

That shows nothing apart from some finish on the wall, and i was talking about multi not knauf.

Dont do opposites always full rooms, i do keep my angle tool (twitcher) wet though with a occasional dip in clean water, tbh i have tried dry troweling with just a marshalltown, and cant make it work, i have to switch to s/s refina s*p*r*lex for the last 2 trowels, its similar to using a plazi only it leaves a flatter finish, as it doesnt glide over bumps it flattens them.

how long do them seperflex last you? i dropped my plazi yesterday and it broke :RpS_mad: and i was starting to love that thing too :RpS_crying:

how long do them seperflex last you? i dropped my plazi yesterday and it broke :RpS_mad: and i was starting to love that thing too :RpS_crying:
my 1st lasted less then a month, knocked off my hope up 400mm and bent completly unusable, 2nd one i have had for nearly 18mths still fine as i havent dropped it yet, they are delicate if dropped they bend not bounce.

Refina s*p*r*lex are stainless steel but still flimsy compared to normal towel. Could see it.lasting 12m if used daily...

Status
Not open for further replies.