sponging

Members online

ruddez

what is the point of using a sponge float,for example u lay on 2 coats flatten them out and then its ready for trowelling up and then some boys i know then use a sponge and then you got to flatten out again,i thought u only use a sponge on 1 coat or to bring it back to life if its drying to much

Sponging for me leaves a more uniform finish especially when using a superted..... seen pics on here were people have said the work looks lovely when troweling up but sh*te when dry (lots if white streaks)... sponging eleminates this...

I like to use it on deep rubbish walls evens suction and always finishes better (like adding a new coat almost)..... but I rarely bother.

They use pebbles and wooden floats for tadelakt in morroco it's doubtful they debate what methods are used , always conflict of who's using what toys on here. If it works for you then whatever it maybe happy days.:birras:

I found it messy but on shite walls and walls that dry more in different places than others on reskims it was handy to have, the finish was little to be desired looking when It was drying but did get me out of trouble.

Haven't used it for a good 3 years though

Skimming a wall has become like a dog chasing its tail. Some are over thinking the process of skimming a bit to much i,m,o.

Never have, never needed to, never will. Why would you take a sponge to a nice flat laid in wall there's a t**t on youtube who sponges multi on gyproc FFS

I don't get it but each to their own.

Sponging for me leaves a more uniform finish especially when using a superted..... seen pics on here were people have said the work looks lovely when troweling up but sh*te when dry (lots if white streaks)... sponging eleminates this...
What sort of sponge do you use and at what stage?

The only time I ever use a sponge is rub over a floated External wall, I find doing this does leave a nice finish.

But inside I really can't get my head round it. On a 2 coat skim I apply two wet trowels and a cross trowel ro finish.

Can anybody explain to me how a sponge would help with this.?

I have the opportunity to compare both finishes on site and have said it before- no difference , at least major and you can tell only if you have done it. This time every year I have the weird settings on board and every year only I know what it cost me to get it right. This year I said f**k it I am not runing around like headless chicken and tried the sponge. First time didn't get the timing right, but next day was like winning the lottery. I can honestly say when you have the plaster setting in patches on board , the sponge helps you to have more uniform and flat finish, one you never can achieve without it. Next time don't be afraid to use it, won't make you look like bathroom fairy . You might discover you have waisted sooooo much time with the wrong technic .

The refina medium course one... once i have apllied my 2nd coat i flatten it with a spat , go back around the edges with a brush and trowel then let it pull in for 15 mins then give it a mist of water with a sprayer then sponge it, leave it for 5 mins then go over it with a superted then trowel out as normal bud...
What sort of sponge do you use and at what stage?

The refina medium course one... once i have apllied my 2nd coat i flatten it with a spat , go back around the edges with a brush and trowel then let it pull in for 15 mins then give it a mist of water with a sprayer then sponge it, leave it for 5 mins then go over it with a superted then trowel out as normal bud...
Thanks. I've never tried it and always thought it was a rescue tool, but open to trying anything new and will give this a go.

Matalan are selling slippers with sponge on the soles.....why not use your feet and rub them around the walls and ceilings ??

Hopefully when your upside down and the client walks in or your boss...you can just say "sorry im a fuucking idiot or a vampire"

Anyway a sponge is for cleaning yer cock after a hard days work.

Never really bother with a sponge, but they are a good enough job. Absolutely nothing wrong with the way it finishes carlite anyway, In fact near cuts a trowel out or cuts the set time by about a half an hour.

Probably not Algee,i don't bother with it myself, have tried it out when been with men that use it, and it leaves a good finish, and as some men have already said good for evening out heavy coats, or leveling reveals etc or on high suction. But I prefer to just trowel away, don't own one myself. Trowel is as good as anything.

Probably not Algee,i don't bother with it myself, have tried it out when been with men that use it, and it leaves a good finish, and as some men have already said good for evening out heavy coats, or leveling reveals etc or on high suction. But I prefer to just trowel away, don't own one myself. Trowel is as good as anything.

Why thank you xx
Il use a sponge next time for leveling reveals...or high suction...and whats a decent finish ??
Will the sponge scrim and bead for me cause this is where i loose my time.

Why thank you xx
Il use a sponge next time for leveling reveals...or high suction...and whats a decent finish ??
Will the sponge scrim and bead for me cause this is where i loose my time.
No it won't do all that mate, funnily enough. But it can cut setting time by half an hour, that could be beneficial to you. Look as I said I think a sponge is alright. And a decent finish is a decent finish. Not a s**t one. Can finish well. I'm not a sponger, I prefer not to sponge, but in some situations they can be beneficial. All Im saying., and do price work too, not domestics. Scrim and bead in between trowels, ready for next set.

And yes it's the prep work is the b*****d. I've worked for boys who seem to think that the bead fairy comes in the night before to set the beads for you for never seemed to take the time for beading into account.

And yes it's the prep work is the b*****d. I've worked for boys who seem to think that the bead fairy comes in the night before to set the beads for you for never seemed to take the time for beading into account.

Im too pissed trying to boil a fuucknig egg at the minute.....i had too re right this about 6 times