Step in plasterboard that needs a skim

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

christiffa25

Hi all, got to do a bit of skimming for my dad over some plasterboard that has just been put up.

Problem is there is a meter long step in the middle at the joint of 1 of the boards. I think the board has bowed a little while stood before they put it up.

Am I best using some easy fill or plaster or something to build it up a bit prior to skimming?

I'm a newb to all this any help would be appreciated ??

The joist could have a slight twist in it.
So one board will be on the highest point of the bottom of the joist & the other board will be at the lowest point on the bottom of the joist creating a step.
(If it has a slight twist it should've been bridged with the boards.)

Take down the whole ceiling plane the bottom of the joist so it's flat then reboard. Or just use some bonding to build it up before skimming :)

Last edited:
nisus are you having a giraffe ? if this is the case take down the board and cut the one back behind it and run the new board over the twisted joist so the join doesnt land on it

Cheers guys. The boards are Dab'd on brickwork. It's a slight bend at one side of the board where it was stood for a week.

Course?? Not been on one spunky. Self taught skimming, with a bit of help from a plasterer I know. Did many a s**t Walls before I picked it up.. Ha!

I can take the board down if needs be but thought I may be able to build it up a bit prior to skimming. ??

Ha yeah that's why I didn't really fancy taking it off. Will build up with some bonding prior to skimming. Will easy-fill do? Just Iv got a bag of that already?

i dont know mate, I've never used it. Some of the lads on here use pallet loads so they might know better than me. Casper, spunky NPS or Nisus.

Sorry to go off topic but Christiffa25 are you the dude who bought a trowel off me last wk on ebay?
you putting it to good use then?

up in class?? if youd have bought a spoon youd have gone up in class

never used easy fill just use bonding,,,,,,, end of....

Yea thats the one!

Those Ragna trowels are just about good enough for scraping a floor thats it!

How deep is the step.

You could just blast some multi finish on it as soon as your mixed then start wall as usual then just top it up everytime you go over it.
Or just bond it out.
Or just make it a feature of the wall :RpS_lol: cough bodge cough!

Status
Not open for further replies.