Stop or Angle bead

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeD

Private Member
I'm re rendering one side of a house, not going to render other sides.

The existing corners have been freehanded.

What method is best to use on the corners...stop bead or put angle bead on and cut into the side up i'm not rendering and patch up?

Cheers

yup, either as per malcs advice or freehand.

I prefer freehand, but that isn't waving a trowel willy nilly cutting into the edge; work up to the straight edge, then finish very very lightly with a sponge.

Rock on !

could free hand to match the rest in, sponge will do the job nicely! or as said, stop bead and fill in the back. i use silicon if the gaps too small.

Use a stop bead but put a line of sealant down the back edge of the bead before fixing to stop any ingress of water behind the bead.

We always put corner beads on and return a bricks width, im not convinced theres enough strength in a corner bead on edge of a wall, if it gets knocked your bead will crack.

Depending on the property, you could, and we have sorted this problem out with quoins before.
It can look really good in my opinion especially if the there are other mouldings on the building, but comes down to cost again.

Rock on!

This is something I'm asked regularly and the advice is always the same. Use a stop bead to add to the strength of the edge but make sure you bed it well into a good and continuous line of render or adhesive mortar. This will create the seal you need at the edge and give you a perfect finish.

Be careful, if you opt for the sealant technique as when it goes on, the sealing bead you create can be of different thicknesses as you run it from brick/block/stone to mortar and so not behave entirely consistently over the life of the render. It can also increase the risk of an air pocket being trapped between the sealant, the stop bead, the wall and the render.

So now you have 2 beads with the potential to get knocked instead of one, how do you sleep at night?:RpS_scared:

Quite easy mate, the chances of a stop getting knocked on a return wall are slim, less chance than on a corner anyway. But im guessing you knew that anyway, and was just lining yourself up for your last answer.

Much better to render the whole house, this will greatly reduce the possibility of any random future failures. Cheaper in the long run too.

Now where's my calculator...........?

Feck starsky n hutch, where's my avatar?????:RpS_cursing: An good to see you back bub:RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.