Thin coat base finish

rt88

Just wondering how many people finish they're basecoat with a spat on thincoat systems rather than a float/sponge finish. I know manufacturers differ in opinion but the likes of sto and k rend recommend a spat finish if it's prior to their silicone/ acrylic topcoat. I get some might frown upon it but the amount more area we cover a day now not having to wait around to float and can just keep coating makes a difference. Found the key is to keep the second pass of basecoat as tight as possible and do all the work in the first pass.

Base coat is like skimming. We apply the first coat with mesh . Then lay on the second coat. 2 of us will carry on laying on while 1 will double back to sponge up.
If it is a large wall like the flank of a tower block we would have extra operatives laying on. We use the same method no matter what manufacture.

Base coat is like skimming. We apply the first coat with mesh . Then lay on the second coat. 2 of us will carry on laying on while 1 will double back to sponge up.
If it is a large wall like the flank of a tower block we would have extra operatives laying on. We use the same method no matter what manufacture.

I've nearly finished prepping this one if you fancy it.

Thin coat base finish