This trade going down the pan!!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chizam

Right here goes!!

had 3 jobs to price up today all a waste of time!!

job 1!!
after ringing me Friday we arranged for me to go see the job today @ 10:30am so rings the guy before leaving as it's 17 miles away, he answers, so make my down there....... Knock the door 3 times....no answer......so ring him still no answer, I know he's there as seen him in window when pulled up plus his car in drive!!! Wtf like???

job 2!!!
rocks up and she wants 2 artex ceilings skimmed over.......... Both about 10m2 each so quoted her £400, which was met bye a chuckle from the husband, so I asked what's up? He tells me that his son(who's a painter & decorator) that ceilings cost no more than £120 each!! So I left them with my card and wished them luck!!

job 3!!! This one wound me right up!!!
she wanted hallway/stairs & landing plus 2 bedrooms,
so priced up the stairs a landing, as I was doing this the husband was writing in a note pad......which got me wondering(as I seen a plumbing van outside)
so give them a price which was X amount,
husband looked at me strange, he said " how much are materials then mate & how much are you earning???
it worked out without materials I was having £150 a day,
Now listen to this fellow spreads/plasterers
he said no way is a plasterer earning roughly the same as a plumber, as in work we get our labourers to do the skimming!!!

The look on his wife's face when I left without looking at the bedrooms!!!

so today I have wasted 2hrs of my life
and clocked up 51miles on my van for no reason!!

Some customers need a reality check !!! As soon as a new customer tries telling me my job or what somebody else charges I say that's fine and walk out!! When quizzed as to my quick departure? I simply say well you know enough yourself by the sound of it? You don't need me so crack on!! :RpS_thumbsup:

Just had a text

"hi mate I've been passed your number by a friend you done work for.
ive got a plasterer in at the mo but he ain't to confident about plastering around windows and ceilings.

can you come give me a price please??

i swear I ain't got the energy did these people and it ain't even Monday yet!!!!

should have told job 3 that materials cost is your business not his and you price is your price regardless of how little he earns as a plumber

its getting like this all the time.. thats why I dont give advice to chancers on here... its them thats fukin us up, and people are advising them how to **** us up... never used to be like this until the coursers started... and fuk plumbers..lol

I very rarely look at jobs now unless I'm sure I'll get it or if it's 2mins away from my house . I just stick with builders.

Just looked earlier at bathroom ceiling, boarded between beams and a splayed velux,one bag would do it,he will tape the timbers and paint bond it on painted bits, gave him cost for a day,he accepted, hope I have the time now. The op should get a big torch ,shine itin their eyes and shout chizam,chizam.

To be fair £400 for skimming two small ceilings is a piss take I may off had to stick one right on your Vera and throw you out.

To be fair £400 for skimming two small ceilings is a piss take I may off had to stick one right on your Vera and throw you out.

Agree, seems a tad on the high side. I'd have been happy with 250-300, easy little shift.

No I'd have based the price on doing both of them at the same time. If it was just one ceiling I'd have charged more.

So in the other thread (3 gauges a day) the lads are saying between £400 - £500 for a room and you think £200 for a 10-11m2 artex ceiling is dear??

Each to their own I suppose

Always the same when the nasty subject of money comes up!! Trouble and falling out!! When will we learn !!?? :rolleyes)

Your pricing seems a bit confusing, for the ceilings you were happy to make say 360 for half a shift but you priced the hall at 150 day rate?

This trade going down the pan!!

Your pricing seems a bit confusing, for the ceilings you were happy to make say 360 for half a shift but you priced the hall at 150 day rate?
Some I price day rate and some I just price up the job!!
with the hall stairs and landing it was a lot of prep work involved so went with the day rate

If I walked away from those 2 ceilings with 210 profit basing (not saying this is my rate as various factors can alter pricing) it on say 250 for the job i'd still be laughing tbh... easy days work and if I strung it out id still be home by 3 pm ... I couldn't get your prices where I live ... too many jack of all trades who think they can plaster .

Exactly guys I'm getting my ass tanned for being so cheap it offends me that they referring me to a chancer most of my work are in banks schools and hospitals. My work is clean and crisp I bit my tongue when they were telling me to use a angle trowel to get more on the walls do that u loose the crispness of the angle. Hard angles are the way forward to get a decent straight finish. Pricing may b abit cheap I will probs look at increasing but as we're getting out of reccession and being up north I'd preference to be busy all the time getting the work as when it does pick up they will refere back to me as being the cheapest but by then I've earns ther trust I can put the price up a slight bit

Status
Not open for further replies.