What to do? HELP!

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BristolRuss

Hi, i'm Russ live in Bristol and just after a bit of advise?

I finished my level 1 and 2 diploma with ease in fact finished 1month in front of every body on the course, currently doing my diploma level 3 and I am a head of the group again.

I feel that i'm ok at plastering but by no means a tradesman teachers are always picking up on things, I know i'll pass this course but i'm not sure what to do next? my teachers have told me loads of different options like just labor for a few years learning site standards.
Go self employed start off small and build my way up?
Or continue to further education (Higher national certificate) witch is like site management course.
Work abroad for few years slapping muck on the wall and see it all whilst i'm young.

Seems like no one is willing to take me on as a plasterer just because the fact they got no work or I ain't got enough experience. And I need money! lol like every body else I like money!

It's not what you know it's who you know I guess?

So over to you guys, be honest because I want the harsh truth and to get on with it.

Where in Bristol are you Russ? I do know its hard at the moment but it will pick up soon if i was you mate i would keep trying all the local firms optimum, north bristol, ght, avalon, there all worth a try but if you give me your number when work picks up we could give you a go.

Forget about getting into plastering mate even though its a young mans game you would be better off steering clear of the building game if you can, at worst, get into site management. Trust me, I was halfway through a degree when I spotted the 'Harry loadsamoney Enfield' characters and jacked in Uni. Stiff and gutted now

Live in Knowle bodplasterer ( don't worry not the typical chavy type!)

I'll keep banging on after xmas, seems like my chances our even slimmer at the moment!

And cheers appreciate that a lot. 07847933481

Yeh after 3 years of doing easy college plastering I moan a lot about it lol that's why I was looking into site management but been told that's twice as stressful! and will cost me lots in course fee's but a lot more money in your pocket at end of the week.

Wish I could get out of it now but if I leave now the best i'll be settling for in life is a sh***y part time asda/tesco job on the weekend earning £400 a month( many of my friends are the living evidence). there seems to be a bit of money floating around in plastering too (what my teachers have told me) sooner earn £400 for a 2-3 day job than 1 months hard craft stacking shelves.

And he's from Knowles west so you too should have a great time breaking into each others cars

I grew up there just around the back of filwood but living in totterdown now so not too far away and we always need extra hands when the work loads bigger so i will give you a shout russ.

lol i've had nothing but bad experiences on that road lol

no comment on your old dear haha, sure there are some nice people I just haven't met them.

Though i'd just update you all, i'm about 2 months away from passing after finishing the practical side of things just need to sit the exams (piece of piss)

I decided to go into further education when the summer ends seems like every where I looked no one was hiring with out 5 years experience.
Until I go into further education i'm going to plaster on the side to fund the course shouldn't be to hard the standards out in the real world seems to be worse than college! won't be dropping my standards though.

Seem like a good lad i wish all the best to you. Cant seem to find anyone decent like you round our way

I would say try the local colleges but I asked a few of them the other day what do they plan on doing next to witch 4 out of 5 replied not plastering lmao

I have not, need to do it! how fast can you book and sit the test?
Never been asked though been out on site few times not once, have I just got lucky?

If there's work in it for me I shall get onto it this week.

On most of the sites I work on you have to be inducted and part of it they need your cscs card, speak to your college they might help you out Russ but im sure if you are not working its free.

I tried through the college before they couldn't help me out because I was already funded once for the course.

I'll have a look online and get back to you this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.