Where to start...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CW

Hi all :)

I'm 26 years old and want to change career. I have never worked in the construction industry before but my current job involves alot of hands on work.

Can anyone tell me the best way to 'get my foot in the door' in the plastering industry? Do I try and get a job as a plasterers mate then train on the job with college day release or do I need to get any qualifications before I look to start?

I have a wife with a baby on the way so I need to earn some money whilst I'm training as a plasterer.

Can anyone also tell me roughly how much a plasterers mate can expect to earn and how long the training lasts before you can become a fully qualified plasterer?

Sorry for all the questions :eek:

Cheers

CW

alrite mate a said this in another post. wat a did was a course that lasted about 7months(cng) but a learned everything browning, skimming, dot n dab, patching, floor screeding, fixing boards to timber frames etc etc.n a was only there for 2days a week you cud maybees do sumthing like that n work the other 3days or just learn the basics on a 2week course it up to you ;)

oh and a plasteres mate shud get about 50 quid a day but av found it hard to get a labourers job.

Alright mate best way to learn is with a plasterer every day as a mate. Trouble with that is there isnt much need for a spread to have a mate nowadays with electric paddle mixers it has taken place of the labourer, when i first started i had to labour on 2 spreads with a plunger and stick and roughing was mixed up in a metal bath with a shovel and a rake that was when it was hard work, but nowadays you mostly see 2 spreads working together, that way they can cover most situations with out the need for a mate. What i would suggest is trying the larger plastering contractors in your area see if they are in need of a labourer if you show a keen intrest, before you know it you will be on the trowel. Any old spread will tell you its all about practice with plastering the more you do the easier it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.