Which boards for a fully tiled bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

herds

My little bathroom has been gutted and I need to start boarding it after the plumber has done a temporary first fix.

Bearing it mind it is fully tiled which boards would you use for walls and ceilings.

Cheers

12.5mm for the ceiling/walls i would just use normal boards.Are you skimming them or just tiling straight into the board? maybe tilers like to spec their own boards if ya not skimming them..................:RpS_unsure:

Is this gonna be another 3 page thread like your bay window one Herds...............:rolleyes). Have you finished that yet?

My little bathroom has been gutted and I need to start boarding it after the plumber has done a temporary first fix.

Bearing it mind it is fully tiled which boards would you use for walls and ceilings.

Cheers

Aqua boards in the shower area and normal boards with a tight skim will be sound or you can pay extra and get moisture boards.

12.5mm for the ceiling/walls i would just use normal boards.Are you skimming them or just tiling straight into the board? maybe tilers like to spec their own boards if ya not skimming them..................:RpS_unsure:

Is this gonna be another 3 page thread like your bay window one Herds...............:rolleyes). Have you finished that yet?

I'll have to check with the plumber in that case about what he likes. Be nice to know what you guys would do.

The bay window was done months ago, I predict this being a 2 page thread, maybe more if i'm feeling generous.

Aqua boards in the shower area and normal boards with a tight skim will be sound or you can pay extra and get moisture boards.

walls:

is this right:

moisture board = more expensive but no need to skim before tiling
regular board = cheaper need to skim before tiling

Ceiling

just use regular board.

walls:

is this right:

moisture board = more expensive but no need to skim before tiling
regular board = cheaper need to skim before tiling

Ceiling

just use regular board.

Regular board doesnt need skimming before tiling

Its just more piece of mind with the moisture boards . . . . Your pocket will be lighter though. Quite a difference in price, to be honest though there's no real problem with just normal 12.5 board it will all be sealed after its been tiled

Ok cool, think i will go for regular boards, maybe 1 moisture one around the shower.

What does adding a skim to to a regular board do, just adds a bit more protection after they're tiled? Might get a mate round to do that as he wants to practice plastering.

Putting a skim on means you cant use large format tiles there are weight issues no need to skim at all MR boards would need priming same as if you skimmed them.

Ok cool, think i will go for regular boards, maybe 1 moisture one around the shower.

What does adding a skim to to a regular board do, just adds a bit more protection after they're tiled? Might get a mate round to do that as he wants to practice plastering.

Skimming is purely to provide a decorative surface, If I recall correctly Drylined walls maximum 32KG per M2 tile weight and skimmed walls 20KG per M2

the floor in the bathroom is ply, then tiled.

offtopic - but for some reason I thought that when you're boarding to a concrete floor to leave a gap at the bottom to stop damp. Thinking about it if a gap is left then skirt is added it kinda renders leaving a gap in the first place pointless?

Artisan998 - i think this may only be a 2 page thread :( saying that, i've not even got the boards yet, and then theres fans to add, downlights (when to add these) etc etc so you never know, maybe we could have a 6 pager on our hands.

you put packers down when you board 1 to keep board off the floor 2 so you can move /apply board with more ease try to cut a board tight to ceiling and floor and tap it back = problems

the floor in the bathroom is ply, then tiled.

offtopic - but for some reason I thought that when you're boarding to a concrete floor to leave a gap at the bottom to stop damp. Thinking about it if a gap is left then skirt is added it kinda renders leaving a gap in the first place pointless?
No it don't cos strictly speaking Floor boards if fitted correctly by a joiner who knows his/her stuff they should not be touching the floor either ! :RpS_thumbup:

No it don't cos strictly speaking Floor boards if fitted correctly by a joiner who knows his/her stuff they should not be touching the floor either ! :RpS_thumbup:

That should read skirting boards not floor boards :RpS_unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.