Which thermal insulation boards

Members online

chief_67

Hi,

So following on from this thread:

https://www.plasterersforum.com/threads/dot-and-dab-advice.74652/

I need some advice on thermal plasterboards, I'm renovating my 1930's house and have stripped all the walls back to the brickwork. Im thinking of using thermal insulate plasterbaord on the external walls, what have people used, which make would they recommend, what mm was thinking 27mm myslef. Any links would be appreciated. Would apply the board via dot and dab method and secure with the screws if needs be, what you think of this method.

Thanks in advance.

apply the board via dot and dab method and secure with the screws if needs be, what you think of this method.

Thanks in advance.

They are needed , I put 4 at the top per board

What I dont understand is that you have asked peoples advice/opinions on your damp problem and your cold wall problem. Then ignore it and then start asking about the product and procedure others advised you was the worse option you had.

Why? :aburrido:

What I dont understand is that you have asked peoples advice/opinions on your damp problem and your cold wall problem. Then ignore it and then start asking about the product and procedure others advised you was the worse option you had.

Andygvitus

I never really had a damp problem apart from the rising damp I had, on my other thread I mentioned why the damp guy thinks you had damp coz of the rooms never heated and ventilated for 10 plus years which that had been adrssed with a course of DPC, rest of walls were checked and they were fine going by the damp guy I've got no cold wall issues.

Now the issue is I'm gona start dot and dabbing the house coz I stripped house back to brick work. Was also gona dot and dab the external walls using normal plasterboard. As I'm a newbie I thought it will be fine until a friend said u gona have problems just dot and dabbling external walls using normal plasterbaoed. So I went online and it seems like I will. So as a precaution to Any damp or cold spot issues in the future im asking advice from you guys. Other thread was what shall I do and I've decided using thermal boards on external walls. And this thread is which make thermal board is good and I should use and what mm.

Hope this clarifies

30mm will be fine. Dabbing them on will be reet. Standard board on interior walls will suffice. Anything else you’re overthinking it.

So in the event of a fire the boards fall off the wall , blocking access for escape or a nice surprise for fireman to the rescue, also exposing the foam to the flames

Someone who needs to ask this many questions really should consider getting someone in.

I fear this may end in tears.

Someone who needs to ask this many questions really should consider getting someone in.

Obviously not all plasterer's put fire fixings in so perhaps he's better off researching , DND isn't rocket science , personally I think most dry lining is diy, simple tips on fixings and techniques can go a long way , after a lifetime of observing some trades work in all seriousness would you trust anyone on a budget to make their days money,

Obviously not all plasterer's put fire fixings in so perhaps he's better off researching , DND isn't rocket science , personally I think most dry lining is diy, simple tips on fixings and techniques can go a long way , after a lifetime of observing some trades work in all seriousness would you trust anyone on a budget to make their days money,
Turn your back for 5 minutes and you may end up with ceiling board joints on a joist

Customers ALWAYS think that you're going to bury it, then you don't know how they're going to take it when they realise that you can't - or you can but it's gonna cost more. And they always do something wrong.

You're right that boarding is simple enough to be DIY but you still gotta know the rules.

Customers ALWAYS think that you're going to bury it, then you don't know how they're going to take it when they realise that you can't - or you can but it's gonna cost more. And they always do something wrong.

You're right that boarding is simple enough to be DIY but you still gotta know the rules.
Agree but rules and regulations tend to lead some people astray as they don't always take into account their lack of common sense coupled with the " done my bit " attitude

Agree but rules and regulations tend to lead some people astray as they don't always take into account their lack of common sense coupled with the " done my bit " attitude

My last terrible one was a fella who'd done what @satan did and confused drylining and skimming. He'd tried to dryline square edge board and made a right fcuking mess....lumps of filler sticking out of the boards, up to 10mm in places and loose boards everywhere.

My last terrible one was a fella who'd done what @satan did and confused drylining and skimming. He'd tried to dryline square edge board and made a right fcuking mess....lumps of filler sticking out of the boards, up to 10mm in places and loose boards everywhere.
Makes plastering interesting sometimes , but have been to some diy boarding that's been flawless

Makes plastering interesting sometimes , but have been to some diy boarding that's been flawless
Dont you listen to Stevio. He will say nothing good about me. My boards were flawless and all is done now and looks good.

But I couldnt find plastering interesting. It's really a s**t dirty dusty orrible job especially in winter.

Dont you listen to Stevio. He will say nothing good about me. My boards were flawless and all is done now and looks good.

But I couldnt find plastering interesting. It's really a s**t dirty dusty orrible job especially in winter.
Personally I love it , but as a lifestyle never recommend it to anyone else

Personally I love it , but as a lifestyle never recommend it to anyone else
I know what you mean. Radio on. Nobody to bother you. Just drift away and before you know it job done.

When I was doing lots of sanding it was like that. I used to put radio station with stories on in afternoon. just flew through my work.

I know what you mean. Radio on. Nobody to bother you. Just drift away and before you know it job done.

When I was doing lots of sanding it was like that. I used to put radio station with stories on in afternoon. just flew through my work.
I love the freedom , music on , spliff if you want, getting paid to go to the gym

I love the freedom , music on , spliff if you want, getting paid to go to the gym
I used to smoke years ago but spliff.........no it never agreed with me. First time I tried it I got nothing but a banging headache. Second time I went white and couldnt move. Mate told me the very strong stuff he gave me, I had made it up too strong as well..................feck it. Too much hassle and too old now.

I used to smoke years ago but spliff.........no it never agreed with me. First time I tried it I got nothing but a banging headache. Second time I went white and couldnt move. Mate told me the very strong stuff he gave me, I had made it up too strong as well..................feck it. Too much hassle and too old now.
I lost interest when it all became skunk , was always happy with occasional small change in mental balance , got me to calm down and accept injustice in the world of some people's selfishness and greed , kept me from prison for gbh no doubt , regular alcohol is a more destructive social problem , I always used to smoke for a positive experience , an alternative view of things not to get mashed and do nothing

I got a plasterer to do the work I'm not doing it lol. It will look better if it was just brick if i did it lol.

Don't get me wrong the plasterer did mention thermal boards on external walls but being a newbie I ignored him and thought he trying to get more money out of me, until my friend told me you gona get problems if you just dot and dab normal plaster board on external walls. That's why this thread started. Thanks for all your help guys, I know what to do just need to do some shopping around now for thermal boards.

The best insulated plasterboards to use are Celotex...obviously the thicker the better but you will see a very good improvement even using 27.5mm.

https://www.insulationshop.co/15mm_celotex_pl4000_insulated_plasterboard.html

These boards have a vapour control layer...this will stop moisture in the house passing through the board and condensing on the cold solid wall in the cavity. If there is no sign of damp direct bond should be fine, if the wall is damp try to fix the damp issue then use battens or membrane before boarding. Avoid gaps in the boards...seal around the outside with foam.

If you opt for cheap sh*tty thermal boards like polystyrene backed you will need a vapour control layer behind the boards...e.g battens, polythene, thermal boards.