window frames

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
theyre plywood kirk. the council put them up to stop kids breaking in. just take them down...

Its called pargeting kirk you measure and mark around the windows ,there called bands there are smooth render float and sponge , then with a straight edge you run a purpose made tool made out of copper or any metal you can shape or even wood run in along the edge to create the affect tidy up and finish .

Sort of mate , your not actually cutting anything out with parge work, you run the tool to make a shape that's normally convex , Andy is very good at it , its quite a common thing in Essex and Suffolk some people call it Essex rendering .

Yes mate normally from copper pipe or plumbers pipe bending formers you can mitre them as well looks better when you make a corner ,also you can make double treble pipes for a different feature, i would show you picture of one of my pipes but dont know how

kirk johnstone said:
how do you get this nice effect around the window when rendering?

The easiest way of getting that effect Kirk is to pay Church or myself vast sums of money, we will both turn up if you guarantee some tea and cakes. Church has explained exactly how it's done, the original tools where make from a piece of batten shaped wood with the desired shape carved (concave) out of one end, they were know as giggly sticks. I now use tools which I have made for me out of stainless steel or high grade aluminium.

Thats it , the shape of the tool is concave to create THE feature thats convex nice one Andy your so much better with words i know what i want to say but cant type it ;D BTW i should of said that you cant use copper on white render it stains it .

church said:
Thats it , the shape of the tool is concave to create THE feature thats convex nice one Andy your so much better with words i know what i want to say but cant type it ;D BTW i should of said that you cant use copper on white render it stains it .

I'm good with words and know what I want to do but can't quite plaster it ;)
You're right Church copper will stain white render as will low grade aluminium.

church said:
wonder where his from ;D

He's from Tillingham Essex and lives in a house I plastered. He did actually start out as an artist, his pictures are amazing even close up but his banding work leaves a lot to be desired even from a distance on the jobs I've seen.

If you look at the work in progress page looks like he sketches out first on the backing coat then goes over it again and carves it out .

essexandy said:
kirk johnstone said:
how do you get this nice effect around the window when rendering?

The easiest way of getting that effect Kirk is to pay Church or myself vast sums of money, we will both turn up if you guarantee some tea and cakes. Church has explained exactly how it's done, the original tools where make from a piece of batten shaped wood with the desired shape carved (concave) out of one end, they were know as giggly sticks. I now use tools which I have made for me out of stainless steel or high grade aluminium.

andy dont mean to sound cheeky but can i buy one of these giggle sticks from you mate?

Status
Not open for further replies.