dry lining - skim or tape and joint

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

messy

Is skim coating the best way to finish dry lining ( dot and dab plaster board ) or can tape and joint be is as good. I'm not sure whether to tape and joint myself or get somebody to skim coat.

Is skim coating the best way to finish dry lining ( dot and dab plaster board ) or can tape and joint be is as good. I'm not sure whether to tape and joint myself or get somebody to skim coat.

Hi messy,

Have seen people get away with it and can look ok but personally I'd get the job done properly. Unless you're having a particularly hard month I'd fork out a little bit extra and know you've got a good finish

All the best

Personally i would say skim looks better but if your short of cash and not too worried how it looks and plenty of time to keep filling and rubbing down then go for it. If you are worried about quality of finish when it's painted then get someone in to skim it.

A competent plasterer will be able to skim in roughly the same time it takes to tape and join. Sanding the joins is also a messy job (no pun intended) if you don't use a dust extractor connected to your sanding block/machine.

If quality is an issue, then skim all the way! :RpS_biggrin:

Thanks everybody I will go for skimming then. Do I tape the all joints in advance before the plasterer comes to skim?

I prefer to skim it, but some clients want tape and jointing for faster turnaround time to decorate. It is amazing how quickly you can skim nice boardwork, it is also a better way to hide errors in the stud and boardwork..

Thanks everybody I will go for skimming then. Do I tape the all joints in advance before the plasterer comes to skim?

No, leave him to do that. I doubt he'll knock off a few quid because you've scrimmed the joints.

Personally, I don't like clients being overly helpful ie scrimming the joints because sometimes it's not done correctly and I have to waste more time fixing their mistakes.

Personally, I don't like clients being overly helpful ie scrimming the joints because sometimes it's not done correctly and I have to waste more time fixing their mistakes.
Beading yes ,leave it alone, but scrimming , come on, how could that go wrong, well I suppose , each to there own, lots of jobs I have been on I have wished the builders team had not done the stud or the boarding and the beading can make me cry...

Beading yes ,leave it alone, but scrimming , come on, how could that go wrong, well I suppose , each to there own, lots of jobs I have been on I have wished the builders team had not done the stud or the boarding and the beading can make me cry...

There's nothing worse than arriving at a job to find that the client has used a cheap scrim tape that doesn't even stick properly. You then have to waste your time trying to press it back into place and then have the constant annoyance of having to push the scrim back under the surface when skimming :)

in the old days, we went around pushing each board to make sure the nails would not pop when troweling , sometimes now I see screw sticking out, or not enough screws or believe it or not screws counter sunk, oh the joys when troweling and a board flaps on the joint, worst still when a ceiling becomes live with 240 v, had that a few times. too much rushing and too many idiots on site these days...

the only people that tape and joint are the people who carnt PLASTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ............................SKIM ALL THE WAY

the only people that tape and joint are the people who carnt PLASTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ............................SKIM ALL THE WAY
Right, so your suggesting that im wasting my time taping the joints then skimming the whole wall for the best possible job as per by the book but should instead follow the rest like a sheep cos its easier and quicker to just scrim and skim cos that wil do?

Right, so your suggesting that im wasting my time taping the joints then skimming the whole wall for the best possible job as per by the book but should instead follow the rest like a sheep cos its easier and quicker to just scrim and skim cos that wil do?

James, People tend to just use scrim these days but don't be afraid to fight your corner :)

what i am saying i dont no any plasterer who would tape and joint if he had to chose between that and skimming

baarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

You need to know what you're doing with both, done properly there both the same if anything you run less risk getting a tape jointer in that a **** skimmer

what i am saying i dont no any plasterer who would tape and joint if he had to chose between that and skimming

baarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

What about if you had a 200m2 ceiling?

Had a customer tape all the joints for us with masking tape lol. Had customers plasterboard before and either leave nails proud so they all had to be banged in or they've used the wrong screws (which rust..). Even worse, we've had builders make a right bodge of boarding and expect us to put get over it.

As to the original question, skim it.. Anything else is just a bodge (to tape it they need to be bevel edge boards).

Status
Not open for further replies.