Getting a new youngin

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was often said to me many moons ago that , the teacher doesn't go to the pupil,the pupil comes to the teacher....pretty true that

chill out arti - if you follow your dream -----------you need patience :RpS_scared::RpS_lol:

maybe i set the bar too high marra.................asking them to turn up on time and do what they are told......................is it a bridge too far................:glare:

maybe i set the bar too high marra.................asking them to turn up on time and do what they are told......................is it a bridge too far................:glare:

You need to ask yourself. "What would The Wand do in this situation?"

Another update.............lost another youngin today, set the scaffold up to do a vaulted ceiling today and he refused to get on it, told him if he wasnt prepared to get on it he might as well go home.................so he did.

Had him on a ladder and scaff board the other week for a H/S/L no bother, had two towers with a newman board inbetween and he reused.

Got a text off him later saying he had the right to refuse to get on a scaffold he deemed unsafe............hairy muff i said, but why not explain your grievance rather than walking off the job like a petulant child..............:rolleyes)

Last edited by a moderator:
Our lab mixed 4 full mixer loads of sand and cement but only one problem he put in 1.5 bags per mix cement to 2.5 sand, instead of .5 . What a mess to clear up and weaken down,

I once got that annoyed with a new lad that started on with us, we pushed him out of the van on the moors in winter and made him walk home, a good 6-7 mile away, cue his mother phones me a few hours later, i just said he was a waste of space, she started getting funny I put phone down. 2 hours later his dad rang me ''is my lad still on for tomorrow then? '' :RpS_biggrin:

I once got that annoyed with a new lad that started on with us, we pushed him out of the van on the moors in winter and made him walk home, a good 6-7 mile away, cue his mother phones me a few hours later, i just said he was a waste of space, she started getting funny I put phone down. 2 hours later his dad rang me ''is my lad still on for tomorrow then? '' :RpS_biggrin:
Owls ,i am so glad i never worked for you as a lad

I let one start walking home, but as it was about 15 miles away and he was only small I was scared he might get picked up and bummed, so I relented and gave him a lift to the nearest town for the bus :RpS_thumbup:

It's always the mum isnt it

I chucked a shovel at my bro once for gobbin off when he started with me he ducked and it stuck in the wall like an arrow e said u nearly killed me!! I said grow up you tit and he kicked the spot in a huff and filled his boots full of finish then walked home haha

I chucked a shovel at my bro once for gobbin off when he started with me he ducked and it stuck in the wall like an arrow e said u nearly killed me!! I said grow up you tit and he kicked the spot in a huff and filled his boots full of finish then walked home haha

Didn't you **** a bouncer with a shovel once, or am I thinking of someone else? :RpS_confused:

I had road rage at an island in October some bloke kept poppin his horn for me to over take a hoss n cart so I stopped and got out didn't give the shovel a second thought I was gonna get the feather edge my standards are slipping

Finding good apprentices is really difficult, being an ex-lecturer I used to interview up to 70 a year to try and get 36 decent ones per year and then find out that only 10 of them were really up for it. Good only knows how you lads go on when you've not got the time or resources to spend the amount of time and effort that is needed to try and get the right one.
Might be worth talking to your local college, they need to get student's out on work experience and you can get a free works trial and see what they are like as well. Good luck in your search and remember patience is a virtue, and you'll need plenty of it, patience that is.

Work for a company so thank God I don't pay him but my apprentice is a year and a half in and today we had a 20m2 ceiling to board nd skim plus a wall. He put one board up nd even then he missed the joist with most of his screws. I put the ceiling on myself layed in and cleaned buckets ect in the time it took him to 1st coat a 5m2 wall. Visits to Facebook rather than cleaning or taking gear back to the van has caused our partnership to finally break. Gaffer was wished a merry Xmas nd told to find the boy someone new to work with patience has all but gone.

I was told by the recruitment lady at my local college to source my own lab and enrol him.
I said isn't that your job to find them. I can't go waiting outside the school gates trying to get 16 year old boys in my van. There was an awkward silence after that!!
I'm still labourer less can't be arsed now

Strange how all thesd young lads wine that they cant get jobs yet on herd wd can't find ypung lads to train...

I used to love the graft when i was learning, the harder the better...I used to like a challenge, and liked to think it made me fit and stronger. And it feels good to know you've worked hard for your money.

all pussys now a days...

Status
Not open for further replies.