Help Please -

Status
Not open for further replies.

sean85

Hoping for some advice -

As an avid DIY-er I've decided I want to give plastering my garage a go - Having done quiet a bit of research I understand most people say leave plastering to the professionals however its not the end of the world if I get it wrong and is more for practice then anything else.

Im going to start with one wall and see how I get on -

The wall is breeze block - would the process be-

PVA/Water
Place a layer of browning and level out
go over this then with multi finish and smooth over finish ?

If so, how much time do you allow between the browning and multi finish? Do I need to wait for the browning coat to completely dry or should it all be done at the same time allowing them to dry together if that makes sense?

I have considered dot / dabbing but as stated this is more a small project just to see how I get on with plastering

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Sean

It all reads very simple on paper doesnt it. Ive been plastering over 27 years and even now i wouldnt attempt to do any joinery or brick laying or any other trades job but thats just me ? Id rather pay the lads who are trained to do what they do !? I understand you may want to "have a go" etc but beware as it could cost you more when you make a complete shambles and then need a pro to put it right costing you double as it were? Im nothaving a go at you or anything its your garage your choice what you do im just pointing out what i would do if i were you
Hope it goes well :birra:

Thanks Marshy,
Its not a case of having a go- If you don't ask questions and try things then you don't learn. Its an external non attached garage which will be costing no one but myself time & money.. I understand people who have years of experience in a trade being annoyed with DIYers getting beyond there station and or cowboys charging money for unskilled work... there are also still a small handful of people who just wish to learn to become slightly more self sufficient within themselves for small tasks and where better to start than a wall completely out of sight which will make no odds if I make a dogs dinner of it anyhow...

Thanks Marshy,
Its not a case of having a go- If you don't ask questions and try things then you don't learn. Its an external non attached garage which will be costing no one but myself time & money.. I understand people who have years of experience in a trade being annoyed with DIYers getting beyond there station and or cowboys charging money for unskilled work... there are also still a small handful of people who just wish to learn to become slightly more self sufficient within themselves for small tasks and where better to start than a wall completely out of sight which will make no odds if I make a dogs dinner of it anyhow...
In that case i shall help you

You will fair better (as much as i hate to say)dryliningthe walls (sticking plasterboard with an adhesive) then applying the finish coat you will have a better chance using this method than the traditional wet plastering method

Thanks Marshy,

I see you have come across @Kitchy,mate!:whistle:

The advice Marshy gave you is more appropriate for you. I think he is concern about the damp penetrating through the wall, hence the dot&dab. Might be wrong tho!

I wouldnt dot and dab if damp was an issue you need to ring round some professionals or tell us where you are and theres enough trusted members on here who could help or at the very least advise you?

The pva will help you to control the suction too. How fast will dry the hardwall depends on the thickness, how strait the wall is and the suction . You don't have to wait for the drywall to dry completely to apply the multifinish. As long is set to touch you can start with the multifinish . Don't overfloated,you don't need shiny hardwall, what you need is key for the plaster, which you can achieve with sereted spatula or ruler. Alternatively run a devil float or just don't overwork the hardwall which will leave it open.

There are alternative products for preparing the wall for the hardwall too, if you want to try something else

20150702_190545.jpg

The pva will help you to control the suction too. How fast will dry the hardwall depends on the thickness, how strait the wall is and the suction . You don't have to wait for the drywall to dry completely to apply the multifinish. As long is set to touch you can start with the multifinish . Don't overfloated,you don't need shiny hardwall, what you need is key for the plaster, which you can achieve with sereted spatula or ruler. Alternatively run a devil float or just don't overwork the hardwall which will leave it open.
Over floated? Shiny hardwall lol? Wtf?

Over floated? Shiny hardwall lol? Wtf?
Would imagine it means having trowelled it too much not leaving very much key......as a level 3 officianado would have thought you'd have know that.

Would imagine it means having trowelled it too much not leaving very much key......as a level 3 officianado would have thought you'd have know that.
There's no such thing that's y I'm asking..ive done 1000s of sqm2 float n set and never heard of that phrase in my life..hahaha..shiny hardwall omg

There's no such thing that's y I'm asking..ive done 1000s of sqm2 float n set and never heard of that phrase in my life..hahaha..shiny hardwall omg
U don't trowel floating! U slap it on rule it off with a feather edge then give it a figure eight scratch the the devil float thus giving a key..trowling floating I've heard it all now

You never seen hardwall thats been closed in because someone tried to trowel it?

U don't trowel floating! U slap it on rule it off with a feather edge then give it a figure eight scratch the the devil float thus giving a key..trowling floating I've heard it all now
You just replied to yourself.....a bit wierd.

You never seen hardwall thats been closed in because someone tried to trowel it?
No..wen its been giving a dusting over with the devil float you give it a quick once over to knock the bits in that have come up from the wall or as I've seen plenty of guys do there will devil float the wall then scrape It bk with a trowel to get rid of any bits that have come up..if never ever heard of u don't want to over do it you dont want shiny hardwall

No..wen its been giving a dusting over with the devil float you give it a quick once over to knock the bits in that have come up from the wall or as I've seen plenty of guys do there will devil float the wall then scrape It bk with a trowel to get rid of any bits that have come up..if never ever heard of u don't want to over do it you dont want shiny hardwall
And Il reply bk to mysen again here..

thats the british gypsian finish not venetian @Kitchy

:maraca:
I am trying to explain to diyer after all :rolleyes:
But it's not that I am afraid! I left you another clue I am expecting for you to pic, hence the tag;)
I didn't get any notification on the thread..fooooookkkkkkkk this I'm outa here lol..

f**k me kitchy....he's talking to a diyer who might not know that you dont trowel backing plaster....dont you get that

You are properly up your own arse this last week or so....you should chill out

f**k me kitchy....he's talking to a diyer who might not know that you dont trowel backing plaster....dont you get that
Here we go again..read the thread..dont tell the guy to do sumat that dsnt exist,I pointed out to vf guy wats shiny floating etc then you piped up agreeing with him saying I'm level 3 I shud know it so dnt try spin it on me asif I'm bad guy

Here we go again..read the thread..dont tell the guy to do sumat that dsnt exist,I pointed out to vf guy wats shiny floating etc then you piped up agreeing with him saying I'm level 3 I shud know it so dnt try spin it on me asif I'm bad guy
He's dumbing down terminology for someone who might not understand the technicalities....imagine a doctor explaining something to a small child....similar principle.....not having a go you just need to chill with the everyone is a rob dog tone.

It all reads very simple on paper doesnt it. Ive been plastering over 27 years and even now i wouldnt attempt to do any joinery or brick laying or any other trades job but thats just me ? Id rather pay the lads who are trained to do what they do !? I understand you may want to "have a go" etc but beware as it could cost you more when you make a complete shambles and then need a pro to put it right costing you double as it were? Im nothaving a go at you or anything its your garage your choice what you do im just pointing out what i would do if i were you
Hope it goes well :birra:
27 years that all

He's dumbing down terminology for someone who might not understand the technicalities....imagine a doctor explaining something to a small chikd....similar principle.....not having a go you just need to chill with the everyone is a rob dog tone.
Nah mate ur the 1 who piped up saying I should know etc he wasn't dumbing down in my opinion..anyway foookk this I'm not arguing about sumat as trivial as this ive got better things to do like washing my hair

No mate, I don't think you are bad person just a cocky prick,tbh! You don't look down to see what's there, but only up where you think you belong to! Reality is a different story, unfortunately:fuckyou:

Status
Not open for further replies.