Tanking Bay Window

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
You dont have to get them to do the work if you feel competant to do it yourself. it just saves you going back and forward on here

oh i see.

I think that sorting the external problems are agreed by all that have contributed and the inside I think that there are many ways to do effectively the same thing, like

membranes or s&c with waterproofer and/or tank and/or dri-coat or limelite.

....A week or so ago a friend that is a roofer suggested I get a de-humidifer, leave that on for a couple days then bond then skim.......... so I think if anything i've got a better idea of what to do/heading in the right direction :)

Herds, you seem ti be takin allsorts of advice? Mabye a bit to much and complicating things. The roofer Is wrong mate.as arti says get someone. in to see what really needs done?or you may be pissin the wind and wastin time and money.why do you think its crafty to get someone in??

bond as in bonding if thats what he means, thats why you shouldnt ask roofers for advice

I meant, in the last week i've gone from being clueless to having a sensible idea of what I need to do.

Herds, you seem ti be takin allsorts of advice? Mabye a bit to much and complicating things. The roofer Is wrong mate.as arti says get someone. in to see what really needs done?or you may be pissin the wind and wastin time and money.why do you think its crafty to get someone in??

I know now the roofer is wrong, that is after listening to you guys with your professional advice.

I thought it was a little crafty getting them in, taking all their advice then doing what they'd do myself.

just to update you further. i did the bathroom part of wall today. showing signs of condensation (no salts) . hacked to brick to find
1 air brick blocked now fixed
2 pointing on brick was goosed (now fixed)

So we have those points fixed we have twin skin of bricks with no gap. brickwork was dry apert from crumbling pointing.

looking for quick fix as its a rental property of mine.

Should i sbr and two coat s and c them skim or
baton,foil line board them skim ?

Sand and cement forgot all the bullshit, fancy creams and injecting it was once dry without all the bullshit, go back to original to sort the problem :) Get a damp company out and waste their time if you ask me, coz they will waste your time with their magic remedies then come back on here and tell us the magic words :)

ok s and c it is. i havent done much of it so do i apply sbr as slurry or watered down like pva?
Can i base coat once sbr is tacky or does it need to dry?
Water proofer needed in base coat if sbr applied?
Can i top coat next day?

ok s and c it is. i havent done much of it so do i apply sbr as slurry or watered down like pva?
Can i base coat once sbr is tacky or does it need to dry?
Water proofer needed in base coat if sbr applied?
Can i top coat next day?

dilute ya SBR 50/50 for your slurry
bang your scratch on with waterproofer in it.......i normally bang the top coat on while the scratch is still green then devil float it & let it all cure 4-5 days
then skim the lot

ok just to confirm slurry 50/water and 50 cement?
Also does the sbr need to dry before the scratch coat goes on?

50/50 SBR/Water and S&C............some people just use cement.......i let the slurry dry....others might not

hey windy, once you're done can you let me know in plain english the materials and steps you took.

Also, is S&C preferred over Thistle Dri-Coat for any particular reason? I'm guessing the answer is going to be something like "Dri-Coat is just S&C premixed with waterproofer and a lot more expensive".

Again thanks for the replies, happy you're in a similiar boat Windy.

dilute ya SBR 50/50 for your slurry
bang your scratch on with waterproofer in it.......i normally bang the top coat on while the scratch is still green then devil float it & let it all cure 4-5 days
then skim the lot

Hey Artisan, forgive me.....

1) Dilute ya SBR 50/50 for your slurry
SBR is a bonding agent, 50/50 is 50% water and 50% SBR. You then apply this mix to the bare brick which you have already cleaned off and applied Salt Neutraliser to.

2) Bang your scratch on with waterproofer in it
Scratch = Scratch coat which here is S&C with some waterproofer mixed in (alternatively Thistle Dri-Coat can be used).
Say the existing plaster that we're going to butt up against is 10mm. You apply this scratch coat how deep? a few mm i am guessing just to cover the bricks.

3).i normally bang the top coat on while the scratch is still green
Top coat here is again S&C without waterproofer. This Top Coat will butt up and blend into the existing plaster which after 4-5 Days is ready to skim.

In between Steps 2 and 3, would it not be wise to add a tanking coat? to be sure for the sake of £30... or its just really not necessary as concrete + waterproofer is more than sufficient.

......You can't knock me for being keen now can ya :D

Last edited:
you dont need a tanking slurry marra...........i would use dri-coat if it was my job rather than S&C.............you only need to leave it 24 hours before you skim it and its a better insulator than S&C

marra = mate, right?... I was googling "Tanking Slurry Marra" for a while, thought it may have been a brand name :D

Cool, i think i am sorted now. The window man is coming to replace the sash in a couple weeks, £750. Then the roofer is going to fix the gutter, check the cavity then crack on with the method above but going to use Dri-coat instead.

thanks for all the help guys i'll update with pics at a later day.

Cheers

Isn't dri coat really expensive ??

I think its about 17 a bag with the same surface coverage as bonding, 2.5m2 (I think). I'm crap at working out the m2 but hopefully i'll need no more than 2 bags. Perhaps I should just man up and try this S&C.

Isn't dri coat really expensive ??

It is compared to S&C its expensive cos its cheap as chips..but S&C can create cold spots as its a poor insulator and this can lead to condensation.......Dri-coat is about £11 +Vat and covers 3.5mish

This is possibly the longest dampproofing thread ever........................:RpS_laugh:

Last edited:
Arti ,shall we just go and do the job for him ?think this one could run and run :RpS_laugh:

i think we need to thrash out a few more ideas so that we can really nail down a solid plan of action before we just go tearing in there like headless chickens chucking injection fluid all over the gaff.........................:RpS_wink:

i think we need to thrash out a few more ideas so that we can really nail down a solid plan of action before we just go tearing in there like headless chickens chucking injection fluid all over the gaff.........................:RpS_wink:
:RpS_thumbup: ready now ?

The damproofing dreamteam..................al get some t-shirts knocked up the morn....think we should go bib and braces rather than hoodies..................:RpS_thumbup:

The damproofing dreamteam..................al get some t-shirts knocked up the morn....think we should go bib and braces rather than hoodies..................:RpS_thumbup:
don,t want Hector coming around with that baseball bat :RpS_crying: think i will have a shave to :RpS_unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.