1. Want to see how the new TPF works? Click here or you can drop me an email danny@plasterersforum.com
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Plasterers Forum has now made it even easier to share photos and videos than ever before Click Here To Learn How
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TPF is the biggest plastering community and resource on internet... we are still growing.... we are nearly 10 years old so we are here for a long time yet...
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Plasterers Forum is growing but we need your help to keep it growing.... Introduce yourself and say hello get involved... they dont bite :-)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Plasterers Forum is very busy!! ...25% up on last year!! Be a part of the biggest plastering community
    Dismiss Notice
  6. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
    Dismiss Notice

A definitive answer to plastering on Knauf Aquapanel

Discussion in 'The Plasterers Forums Information Guides' started by Overboard75, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Overboard75

Overboard75 New Member

I've searched the forum, and need a final answer on this..

Totally enclosed and recently built shower cubicle clad in Knauf AquaPanel which will be tiled floor to ceiling. The ceiling 1400x900mm is also clad in Knauf AquaPanel.

PVA seems a no-go as a "wet area" so bond likely to fail.

What bond if any? And what process? Do we have to use 'Knauf interior Skim' or just like swimming pool ceilings etc is there an alternative?

Thinking of over boarding in standard GP which seems to defeat the object of steam & wet ingress.

Contributions much appreciated.

Regards,

OB

2. zombie

zombie Private Member

If it's going to be tiled floor to ceiling why the need to plaster the boards.

Tiles have a better bond direct to boards I always thought?

Id ask your tiler mate

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chrispy33uk

Chrispy33uk Active Member

As Zombie says, or do you mean just feathering into the edges?

Skim is a pretty weak surface to tile on to, especially if using porcelain tiles etc. I'd rip the lot out if a spread had skimmed over it and I was due to tile it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Overboard75

Overboard75 New Member

I realise my question was a bit confusing.. Sorry, I'm tiling direct onto the AquaPanel..as porcelain needs the strength due to its weight so that's sorted, it's the 1400 x 900 ceiling which I don't know how to deal with as nobody seems to have skimmed it before....There must be away? & if so, what do suggest you use to bond it, given pva is water based & the board is cement based? Or shall I just bang a bit of GP over the top..?
    Thanks for your replies so far

5. JessThePlasterer

JessThePlasterer Well-Known Member

The ceilings boarded in aquapanel?

• Like Like x 1
  6. zombie

zombie Private Member

Blue grit..let it dry overnight then skim as normal pal

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. zombie

zombie Private Member

Though tbh I would have just used normal plaster board for ceiling...never seen them used like that before

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Cockney1

Cockney1 Active Member

Aquapanel sucks the hell out of plaster. It’s a really porous background for Plastering mate!

9. malc

malc Private Member

i would just overboard the ceiling and skim.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Overboard75

Overboard75 New Member

Thanks everyone!

11. Deri

Deri Active Member

I’ve used blue grit before over cement board before. It still pulled a little and had some blebs but was ok in the end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  12. Overboard75

Overboard75 New Member

Thanks Deri.. So it is do-able.. Out of interest...Did you just use standard multi finish?

13. Runswithscissors

Runswithscissors Private Member

Hello mate

Knauf have 2skim products for use directly into Knauf Aquapanel Interior....

Knauf Aquapanel Interior Skim - which is a Ready Mixed Plaster product and can be spray or hand applied

Knauf Aquapanel Joint Filler and Skim Coat White - a powder based Joint Filler and Skim product

Both are suitable in wet areas and give a smooth plastered finish

Visit www.knauf.co.uk and search product data sheets for more info

As per earlier posts, Knauf Aquapanel sucks gypsum plasters, so it is not recommended

Good luck

Richard
    Knauf

• Like Like x 5
  14. Overboard75

Overboard75 New Member

Hi Richard,

So Knauf drywall easyplaster won't be any good then? That's all I can seem to find locally..bought it two weeks ago but terrified it will fall off when the moisture hits the cubicle ceiling. I will take it back
    Thanks again

15. Danny

Danny TPF OWNER

@Runswithscissors

• Like Like x 1
  16. Overboard75

Overboard75 New Member

In the abscence of any further contributions, I'm going with Blue Grit & a 5mm finish to match the rest of the room & tile projections.
    Will see how it goes.. Richard @ Knauf.. Guessing you are having a mega busy day, thanks though to everyone for your help

Regards

OB

• Like Like x 1
  17. Runswithscissors

Runswithscissors Private Member

Hi Mate

Sorry, Ive not seen this post since I posted....

Not 100% certain the make up of the Knauf Easyfill - but as a premixed product I suspect that it would be more suitable. Prime the Aquapanel as you have stated prior to applying this product

• Like Like x 1