Advice on render to use on timber framed house.

Members online

cartman6789

My son's house, built in 2010, it is mostly a timber frame, except for the 1/2 brick walls in the original structure. Currently, the exterior has ply, mesh, sand, and cement render, but it's showing signs of failure in certain areas. The scratch coat seems solid in the section I examined, where it has failed i think there is insufficient cement in the top coat, especially where the wall is more exposed to weather. We're considering either re-rendering or cladding the entire house but do not know the best approach!

One option is adding insulation boards to the existing render and using silicone rendering over them, while another is stripping back to the plywood and starting again. There does not appear to be signs of internal dampness, and most of the wall and existing render is solid its just odd it failed in two areas.

Alternatively, we're thinking of cladding the dormer and gable apex, adding insulation to the lower half, possibly using the SBS EnviroWall.

Do you believe this approach is the most suitable solution, or do you have alternative recommendations? Could the problematic wall be patched using sand and cement/lime, or would the whole house need doing?

Rendering on ply is always got its risks of cracking, best option is to use insulation screwed to the ply and then go with silicone system over the top. I personally wouldn't entertain it any other way. Either that or use cladding and problem solved

My son's house, built in 2010, it is mostly a timber frame, except for the 1/2 brick walls in the original structure. Currently, the exterior has ply, mesh, sand, and cement render, but it's showing signs of failure in certain areas. The scratch coat seems solid in the section I examined, where it has failed i think there is insufficient cement in the top coat, especially where the wall is more exposed to weather. We're considering either re-rendering or cladding the entire house but do not know the best approach!

One option is adding insulation boards to the existing render and using silicone rendering over them, while another is stripping back to the plywood and starting again. There does not appear to be signs of internal dampness, and most of the wall and existing render is solid its just odd it failed in two areas.

Alternatively, we're thinking of cladding the dormer and gable apex, adding insulation to the lower half, possibly using the SBS EnviroWall.

Do you believe this approach is the most suitable solution, or do you have alternative recommendations? Could the problematic wall be patched using sand and cement/lime, or would the whole house need doing?
If your keeping the plywood on I'd use rend aid on top of the plywood with eml over the top for the scratch . Top it off and silicone render that

For timber frame properties , Would leave the ply on to give the frame extra strength .Fit Knauf Aquapanel with a thin coat system finish.

timber frames on domestic dwellings require a cavity.

usual build up.
timberframe.
18mm ply/sheathingboard
membrane
25mm vertical battens
cement render carrierboards
thincoat silicone render.

if in doubt happy to advise if you message