Apprentice getting to work

Members online

Vincey

Private Member
What’s peoples views on apprentice getting to jobs or work do you tell them to get to your house or unit for a time or do you pick them up or tell them the address of the job and meet there , especially in these crazy strange times seems a lot of the under 25s aren’t bothered about passing driving test to be able to drive anymore

It’s all about getting a balance, if they get everything done for them then why do anything yourself! Mix it up a bit, depending where the job is, sometimes they can’t get there but make it beneficial for them to think about getting their own transport to get to work.

What’s peoples views on apprentice getting to jobs or work do you tell them to get to your house or unit for a time or do you pick them up or tell them the address of the job and meet there , especially in these crazy strange times seems a lot of the under 25s aren’t bothered about passing driving test to be able to drive anymore
Tell him to get the bus like we all had to as apprentices . Soft as shite youngens these days

You are not a babysitter…

1709663347104.gif

Depends if your not miles away or not is my take. Its nice to be nice but he may think that's the rules and it shouldn't be if your getting paid by someone for turning up. Also depends if he's a little c**t or not, you'll soon realise if he is though. Then its picked up and dropped of crying at a bus stop many many miles away from home ! Or the words of our true prophet Dollar. "ThE@eND" :confused:

I had one really good bloke that I picked up and dropped off every day. He always appreciated and said so, it rarely felt like a chore to me.
I have had no end of useless ungrateful young T***s that never appreciated being given a lift. They never lasted long.

My mate told me a story about his old apprentice still makes me chuckle now.
The lad went to the bakers to buy the dinner And when he got back they sat down to eat it.
Halfway through eating the pie's he opens a can of pop and Terry said where's mine? The lad says there wasn't enough money...
So Terry paused then said but it was my f**k**g money!! Classic ha ha.

The lad went to the bakers to buy the dinner And when he got back they sat down to eat it.
Halfway through eating the pie's he opens a can of pop and Terry said where's mine? The lad says there wasn't enough money...
Hope Terry booted him where the sun doesn't shine.

One small firm had to let someone go because ehe was a muppet. Terry (another Terry) said “I’ll deal with it, don’t worry, I’ll tell him.” Now Terry used to (ironically to this thread) pick him up at a certain roundabout every morning. Next morning got to roundabout and lad was there ready, Terry just kept driving past giving him the ‘V’s and that was the end of that

When I was an apprentice, if working under 3 miles I would cycle to work. We would be paid traveling time measured from the firms yard.
If the work was out in the sticks [Suffolk] in the yard for 6.30 for pick up in firms vans or mini bus. Our tool box which the leading plasterer made for the apprentices would become your seat in the van. We also had a wooden hop up, in kit form which you would put together when on site.
Those who travelled in their own transport are paid so much per mile. We also received tool money for using our own tools.

One small firm had to let someone go because ehe was a muppet. Terry (another Terry) said “I’ll deal with it, don’t worry, I’ll tell him.” Now Terry used to (ironically to this thread) pick him up at a certain roundabout every morning. Next morning got to roundabout and lad was there ready, Terry just kept driving past giving him the ‘V’s and that was the end of that
@Terry Christmas

When I was an apprentice, if working under 3 miles I would cycle to work. We would be paid traveling time measured from the firms yard.
If the work was out in the sticks [Suffolk] in the yard for 6.30 for pick up in firms vans or mini bus. Our tool box which the leading plasterer made for the apprentices would become your seat in the van. We also had a wooden hop up, in kit form which you would put together when on site.
Those who travelled in their own transport are paid so much per mile. We also received tool money for using our own tools.
Happy birthday.

My lad comes to mine and we go together most days...few days a month he will drive. He has threatened to ditch the car a few times for an electric scooter...insurance is crippling. Doesn't stop him drifting round roundabouts though.

Push bike and meet half way if far or cycle to yours and go from there. They even got these electric scooters now. I used to take a bus to my gaff and when I passed my test drove to his every day.

When I was an apprentice I would catch the train everyday and he would pick me up from the train station if we was working over by me he would pick me up from my house I passed my test when I was 19 but still carried on catching the train as it was more cost effective then driving all that way and back most days

gave labourer some money , for 3 of us to get some chips, that was it never seen him again, not there next day nothing,

When I was an apprentice I would catch the train everyday and he would pick me up from the train station if we was working over by me he would pick me up from my house I passed my test when I was 19 but still carried on catching the train as it was more cost effective then driving all that way and back most days
Sounds nice that does, did you have a good view from the train window mate ? :)

I usually try and take on young lads close to where me and the other lads live.

We’ve really struggled over the last 3 years and have gone through 13-15 who leave after a few weeks / months for a variety of reasons.

If they drive already it’s difficult as they want to start on half decent money from day 1, by half decent I mean £500 take home a week which isn’t viable for a 18 year old with no experience.

Won’t have lads turning up to jobs on their own vehicles as it looks unprofessional in my opinion.

If they are expected to bus it I can’t imagine many would last longer than a week.

We’ve really struggled over the last 3 years and have gone through 13-15 who leave after a few weeks / months for a variety of reasons.

If they drive already it’s difficult as they want to start on half decent money from day 1, by half decent I mean £500 take home a week which isn’t viable for a 18 year old with no experience.

Won’t have lads turning up to jobs on their own vehicles as it looks unprofessional in my opinion.

If they are expected to bus it I can’t imagine many would last longer than a week.
18 year olds wanting £500 week lol f**k**g hell this is why the younger generation are gobshites now they want maximum money for minimum effort it’s what society and social media has created

Do you know a chap called freed he wouldn't get his labourer out of bed for less than £1000 a week

18 year olds wanting £500 week lol f**k**g hell this is why the younger generation are gobshites now they want maximum money for minimum effort it’s what society and social media has created
It’s shocking at the moment.

Interviewed 7 a week ago and half of them had not even looked into the trade or the website.

One lad, 20, when asked about wages said he wasn’t bothered what the pay was as long as it was more than his current job…. Which turned out to be fitting wheels to wheely bins.

Ended up taking a lad of 18, drives and started him on £9 an hour. Found out later in week he has a 71 plate ST Focus and pays £700 a month insurance, both courtesy of his mam and dad. Nice lad but can’t see him doing this for very long with that lifestyle to fall back on.

fellow spread got 18 month driving ban, drink driving, and a hefty fine and insurance went up, anyhoooooo this meant he had to employ a labourer who could drive ,....... for 18 month he had to keep his mouth shut and smile through gritted teeth at him, in case he walked away, a long 18 month that was

Think the best one I had was around 18 months ago.

Got him from college, lasted 6 weeks and went back to college.

Reason - He was better off in college as his mum could get benefits due to him being classed as “still in education”

It’s shocking at the moment.

Interviewed 7 a week ago and half of them had not even looked into the trade or the website.

One lad, 20, when asked about wages said he wasn’t bothered what the pay was as long as it was more than his current job…. Which turned out to be fitting wheels to wheely bins.

Ended up taking a lad of 18, drives and started him on £9 an hour. Found out later in week he has a 71 plate ST Focus and pays £700 a month insurance, both courtesy of his mam and dad. Nice lad but can’t see him doing this for very long with that lifestyle to fall back on.
The worst lad I ever had use to plaster for the council I said why do you wanna leave for chusty little number being on council,he said it was all price work and the meterage wasn’t there and was like being at school being checked on by the gaffers in the office,I thought nothing of it and gave him a trial I ducked him off after 2 weeks he’d been doing it for 3 years he was the laziest useless div I’ve ever had a YouTube chancing diyer had a better finish than him,I f**k*d him off when I went to go and look at another job not far from where we was working and left him to just skim a chimney breast no bother I came back and he was gone the walls were a f**k**g mess tried ringing no answer comes back half hour later he went to the chippy he put the first coat on and went for some scran the c**t