Arch ways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone.
Need some advice please
Got a rendering job coming up and it's got a double arch over front door.
Whats the best way to form decent archway with regards a lack of bead for the arris??
It's gonna be a two coat lime job.
I will add a photie if I can work it out!!!
It keeps asking for a Url rather than just letting me browse my puter.

James

Last edited:
i would put the scratchcoat on freehand.
then use hardboard to form the arch, on the reveal,with a piece of packing out to receive the second coat to the reveal at a later date.
make sure that there is not an open joint when you marry the reveal and face wall up.

not sure how you are building the curves, but Knauf Aquapanel Exterior was used as the backing board to create the curve on the above (obviously you need the structure behind it to create and hold the shape.

contact me for more help if needed

Richard Lord
Aquapanel Exterior Specification Manager
07918766577 [email protected]

Thanks for your help so far. Hope this photie has worked on photobucket????

If so you will see that it has render already but cut short of the arch. Bricks are painted which I will take a angle grinder to to get rid of the paint. Whole front of house will be hacked off. Now if you look closely you will see it has two arches over door. one set half a brick narrower and half a brick closer to the door thatn the first. Well my customer has now decided that they want it all rendered - Of course I sheepishly said yes with the body language of the worlds best plasterer - Oh F%^$ !
Help. Hardboard sounds do-able??

Thanks Guys - Hope the photie helps

James

Attachments

• Arch ways
    Photo-0023_zps254f545a.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 369
like robbiboy said you can form the arch's with ply so you can render up to them

Hi Curry Monster

Mark Ross (and his excellent team of spreads) did something like what you are asking for, see this link:

https://www.plasterersforum.com/gen...ns/44707-mr-scissors-exterior-aqua-panel.html

Not seen Mark on here for a while, but I am sure you will be able to message him if you want.

Your right - Mark Ross is an excellent artist. Met him in tunbridge Well when he taught me Quion stones.
If he's not been around for a while I hope he is okay?

like robbiboy said you can form the arch's with ply so you can render up to them

arti, the arch's have a good shape. that is why i would render the face first then the reveal. if you are going to do the reveal first you would need to dose it up as the op said this is going to be rendered in lime.

arti, the arch's have a good shape. that is why i would render the face first then the reveal. if you are going to do the reveal first you would need to dose it up as the op said this is going to be rendered in lime.

Av only used ply once as av not done many......sounds like you've got more experience than me marra..........al get me coat.......................:RpS_thumbup:

Your right - Mark Ross is an excellent artist. Met him in tunbridge Well when he taught me Quion stones.
If he's not been around for a while I hope he is okay?

Sorry Curry

you miss understood.... I ment, I have not seen him on the Forum for a while...... I spoke to him a few weeks back, he is fine!

Sorry Curry

you miss understood.... I ment, I have not seen him on the Forum for a while...... I spoke to him a few weeks back, he is fine!

Thats good. Might give him a bell later.

Right - So thinking the ply option woul be best for me. Free hand sounds to scary!!
So scratch it up first the maybe some 8-10mm blocks all round the reveal to which I screw 4mm ply.
Then render front face and remove and then do the reveal.
Or would it be better to cut a template out of ply and screw to front face and do the reveals first.
Either way or is one better??

Cheers sor far.
James

obboll41

Hi've done a few of these over the years.
scratch, then use hardboard template cut to the shape of the arch use beads to form the rest of arch.bed the template on [don'tgo to close to the edge]
use beads to finish the rest of the arch
render arch on inside, leave to set for as long as you can
when removing template tap lightly around edge [not to close] and remove scrape off whatever used to bed template
now use strip of hardboard on inside of arch you will need someone to hold hardboard in place while rendering
slide the hardboard away in a sideways motion and finish arch
Hope this helps

Yeah, they take no space up in the van, they come away without the render sticking to them and they're re-usable :RpS_thumbup:

seems an odd job to be wanting lime, not like its a barn or nothing.... did they ask special for it?
personally id just free hand it , you get plenty of time to work it and if it looks good by eye then its good. if you ply it up and spend time faffing and going to something it might look ok up but once down could be off slightly catching the eye... its a small section too is it not so can be done without worrying about chaseing a whole flank going off on you as-well. by pics anyways.....

Could the arch be just made into one or is that not poss if so plastic bell bead upside down bent round

Very interesting - I'll look into that bell bead next time I'm down the ripoff merchant.
As for making it in to one I don't think the customer will go for that.
Lime is a request from the customer. He lives in the Netherlands and -"They use it all the time". So that's what I got to do.
Those plastic strips sound like a good idea - I use Plastic window cills as a feather edge - Best feather edge money can't buy when you find a window fitter on a site - Just apolagise for using it and they never want it back!!! :RpS_biggrin:

Oddboll41 - Is that hardboard or ply mate?

Hardboard.sand the edges after cutting,tap it flat with a straight edge,stand back line up both arch's
[bedding them to wall gives time to adjust so the margins line up]

That sound good. What do you bed it in with and and do you reckon this way would work on the inner arch seems its only half a brick deep?

Cheers,
James

Use compound adhesive,small dabs remember you have to scrape it off later.As for the inner arch,cut hardboard in strip of almost the width of the inside of arch

bed it on inside of arch then put your beads on again stand back and adjust so all lines up. then render profile,

im still not sure why yiu cant just use a flexi bead or pvc coner one cut and bent round!? should get decent fix in the pug joints as it looks like brick arch.

im still not sure why yiu cant just use a flexi bead or pvc coner one cut and bent round!? should get decent fix in the pug joints as it looks like brick arch.

Hi Lizard, ou can't get a flexi bead for rendering I'm afraid, only for skim!!
I've cut one wing of beads before to bend around an arch and I find it never comes out perfect. you almost end up with lots of straight bits making the radius.
My customer comes across as wanting it just so, so I don't want to leave anything to chance. They also seem to know what they are talking about a bit - asking for lime and stainless steel beads as opposed to pvc. Also it's a 5k job in total so needs to be just right.
IMHO forming this arch (which is a major focal point) by hand would end up in a less than perfect job.
Being the main focal point as you walk to the door people are going to see it. If its not perfect IMO then I'm letting my customer down. Or maybe I'm just a crap tradesman??
No offence taken and no offence given,we're all on the same level here aren't we?

James

Try to do it free hand on the scratch to see how it goes for you. Keep the mortar as tight as you can, use a float on the face and just trowel on the arch. If your not happy with it you can try something else for the top coat. I know what you mean about the bead but dont cut the wing off just cut lines in it the way a flexi bead is cut and dont cut too close to the bead thats what makes it kink, try 1 and see if it bends for you without kinking.

Hi Lizard, ou can't get a flexi bead for rendering I'm afraid, only for skim!!
I've cut one wing of beads before to bend around an arch and I find it never comes out perfect. you almost end up with lots of straight bits making the radius.
My customer comes across as wanting it just so, so I don't want to leave anything to chance. They also seem to know what they are talking about a bit - asking for lime and stainless steel beads as opposed to pvc. Also it's a 5k job in total so needs to be just right.
IMHO forming this arch (which is a major focal point) by hand would end up in a less than perfect job.
Being the main focal point as you walk to the door people are going to see it. If its not perfect IMO then I'm letting my customer down. Or maybe I'm just a crap tradesman??
No offence taken and no offence given,we're all on the same level here aren't we?

James

yeah i know, dont know why they dont make one,iv cut a pvc corner bead before and made good curve, and used the thin coat flexi just for the shape before too. but that plstic trim fror windows is good idea, not tryed that one before.

All the ideas I've read so far have been great!! Thanks for everyones contribution - There's lots of ideas for me to check out.

Tam - Thanks for advice - I do do the scratch free hand first any way and I do usually only cut lines in the bead but maybe I go to close.

Lizard - I think maybe there is no call for them or the thickness of render causes an issue compared to skim??
Who knows.

We all learn something new every day and if we don't we think we know it all!!

Status
Not open for further replies.