Artex everywhere! Thick on the walls - Brown under the paint. Is it Artex? Asbestos?

Members online

No members online now.

Is this Artex - Potential to have asbestos

• Yes

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Couldnt say

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
have u ever had a fail with bonding or do u use magic mix
No not even with no pva . But if we have a lot well pva every where mix extra skim and just use that to pack next hit out . You be surprised how much artex a hand board of skim can pack out

Another thing we do @norman moss . Is if it's a large room and ceilings artex. We.ll pva room but do all walls useing bit extra skim to pack ceiling. Of course some patterns need a scrape . But works well on that fan pattern

No not even with no pva . But if we have a lot well pva every where mix extra skim and just use that to pack next hit out . You be surprised how much artex a hand board of skim can pack out
No p.v.a????
4988BEE3-11DA-44AA-A34D-A2856267E474.gif

Another thing we do @norman moss . Is if it's a large room and ceilings artex. We.ll pva room but do all walls useing bit extra skim to pack ceiling. Of course some patterns need a scrape . But works well on that fan pattern
only lost 2 both in same house thank god only small landing and entrance put it down to a bad paint job re did it ok that was many jobs ago years infact but even now always walk in to where ive just done and look up to see if any cracks

Did a job a while back. Went that week big crack down ceiling. I said that's bad . Customer said it prob cause he.s been banging about it loft. I said yeah normally case. . ......But don't ye think bed will be better over other side of room

Hi All,

Really hope you can help, I've been getting different opinions everywhere. Looking to plaster over the artex, one plasterer came round and noticed under the white paint the textured stuff is actually brown/ orangey brown. Would this be gypsum rather than "Artex" am I safe to scrap it back and prep it for the plasterer? What precautions should I take? Mask (will the cheap ones work? OR worth spending the money) overall, googles?
1 - If its brown is it highly unlikely to contain asbestos?
2. Any other ways I can tell without getting it tested? Crumbly? Soluble?
3. Any hits and tips for the best ways?
4. Do I need to take the carpet up because of the dust/asbestos?
5. Should I spray it continually with water?
6. If I use X Tex remover do the walls need to be washed down before they can PVA and plaster?
Any and all advise welcomed.
Thanks ever so much
thats skim for sure

I did a house full on the last refurb, it was everywhere, walls and ceilings ans it looked like it had been there a ling time so I didn't want to disturb it in case of asbestos.

So blue grit, magic mix and two coats of skim it was, hard work but it looked great in the end.

What's blue grit?

I did a house full on the last refurb, it was everywhere, walls and ceilings ans it looked like it had been there a ling time so I didn't want to disturb it in case of asbestos.

So blue grit, magic mix and two coats of skim it was, hard work but it looked great in the end.

Ignore steve he’s a painter.

Blue grit is horrible to apply. Horrible shite.

It’s best used when there is no suction like vinyl paint. It provides a ‘new surface’ along with a mechanical key, and plenty of work time.

It’s very gritty and can feel like you’re skimming artex.

Suction is your friend. Just keep it controlled with pva

Don't you talk to me about suction control you spread beast! The last batch wouldn't set for 3 hours! (put too much retarder in)

In terms of PVA, is there a real different in brands? The local big orange merchant is selling plastering bostik pva (?) for a fiver (5ltrs) on clearance (I'm currently using selco own brand)

Ignore steve he’s a painter.

Blue grit is horrible to apply. Horrible shite.

It’s best used when there is no suction like vinyl paint. It provides a ‘new surface’ along with a mechanical key, and plenty of work time.

It’s very gritty and can feel like you’re skimming artex.

Suction is your friend. Just keep it controlled with pva

Don't you talk to me about suction control you spread beast! The last batch wouldn't set for 3 hours! (put too much retarder in)

In terms of PVA, is there a real different in brands? The local big orange merchant is selling plastering bostik pva (?) for a fiver (5ltrs) on clearance (I'm currently using selco own brand)

Some thickos will assure you pva is pva. I beg to differ.

Cheaper pva takes longer to dry. Which can lead to you skimming on wet pva which can lead to issues.

I’d recommend unibond super pva

You only do one wall at a time, you error of creation. What the f**k do you want with retarder?