Best base coat for bricks laid on side

Members online

Jsmg1978

Bricky dipping my toe in plastering!
I have a bathroom wall to plaster that needs a base coat. It's an old brick wall with the bricks laid on the side so all the frogs are facing forward. What would be the best base coat to flatten out the wall whilst filling all the frogs that are about 15mm deep? Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• Quinn2a.jpg
    Quinn2a.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 227
I have a bathroom wall to plaster that needs a base coat. It's an old brick wall with the bricks laid on the side so all the frogs are facing forward. What would be the best base coat to flatten out the wall whilst filling all the frogs that are about 15mm deep? Thanks in advance :)
is that the mighty quinn /easiest way dab on boards and skim

If your using heavy tiles on walls their is a weight issue to skimming , plain board is up to 32kg/m2 , skimmed is 24 , including adhesive , these are guess figures as I can't be bothered to look it up , not an issue in most cases and prefer to skim if I can as it can prevent a lot of damage if the tiles are removed later also its quick as it doesn't need to be perfect

Thanks guys. Looking for a base coat and skim as literally every millimetre counts space wise so the client doesn't want the wall boarding. The tiles are going 3/4 way up the wall as the ceiling isn't very level. Bit lost for ideas :confused:

that brick bond is called rat trap bond, used in times when there is a shortage of bricks.

that brick bond is called rat trap bond, used in times when there is a shortage of bricks.
That's not rat trap bond, it's just bricks laid face down. Rat trap is two walls tied together with headers,forming cavity spade between the two wall skins.

Scratch coat sand and cement then float coat , rub up with devil float then just tile. You are welcome.

That's not rat trap bond, it's just bricks laid face down. Rat trap is two walls tied together with headers,forming cavity spade between the two wall skins.

Perhaps there is a slight misunderstanding. Malc knows more about plastering than you do about brick work so shut up!

Thanks guys. Looking for a base coat and skim as literally every millimetre counts space wise so the client doesn't want the wall boarding. The tiles are going 3/4 way up the wall as the ceiling isn't very level. Bit lost for ideas :confused:
DND 9 mm board or
Float level as tight as you can with board Addy , only skim the bit that's on show which if you know the tile dimensions but mix 50 50 Addy and skim on first coat , neat multi second
Disclaimer.... I make things up on my own buildings , rarely have I experimented on customers
I use Addy to stick my toilet pans down its much more durable in damp conditions than hardwall
Like what everyone calls zombie mix
Even floating bonding or hardwall , i never devil float , always go on with 50 50 once the base coat is on , then neat multi ( once it starts to pull in but still soft ) pukka is often 2 neat thin coats , timing is crucial ,
Oops got carried away their , unusual for me

The top neat coats ..,. Don't put on thick and over trowel or it'll bubble , you must lay on neat , I use 18" as skim trowel for flatness

You shot yourself in the foot , crucial in this situation insist to level ceiling , all that money and work for diy look , what's the ceiling gonna cost , no wonder I steer clear of customers , if you let them think its OK to save a few quid its you who's going to pay for it if you have any pride , good luck

Don't be afraid to use flat bar as a guide to rule off the walls , might look amateur , but it gets perfect results for a short time investment in prep , old school rules !

Before you hit the bricks with the Addy go over with wet roller , compensating for suction on the high points
Turning into a crash course of Ott eccentric plastering for a havago brickie , lol