Bonding fell off the artex!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mornando

My plasterer decided to bond over my artex in the house and the bonding hasn't taken to the ceiling.

I am tempted to tell him to overboard but there is a loft hatch that will need sorting too and its more work.

Why didn't it stick to the artex? Any ideas?

OK Ill be interested to see the answers to this one. Is there a reason why he was bonding it? Is it not a good mix of PVA, two coat, and skim on top? Perhaps blue grit if you thought you would really struggle.

Imo artex is a nightmare & I say blue grit or overboard it ever time .When the plaster has gone on it sweats bubbles then falls off. had this before myself & I over board now it's not worth the hassle tbh

OK Ill be interested to see the answers to this one. Is there a reason why he was bonding it? Is it not a good mix of PVA, two coat, and skim on top? Perhaps blue grit if you thought you would really struggle.

Depends on the depth of the artex pattern remember multi is supposed to be 3mm finished thickness give or take so, sometimes you may use bonding to fill out the pattern and flatten the wall prior to skimming thus making it easier for yourself and turn ot a better end result.

Ceilings however are a different matter and that's why over boarding is in the majority of cases the best and safest option.

Depends on the depth of the artex pattern remember multi is supposed to be 3mm finished thickness give or take so, sometimes you may use bonding to fill out the pattern and flatten the wall prior to skimming thus making it easier for yourself and turn ot a better end result.

Ceilings however are a different matter and that's why over boarding is in the majority of cases the best and safest option.

Were doing a 3+3mm or 3+2mm coat. Sounds like a right faff on to have to bond it first, Id overboard it as you say.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone.

Below is a pic of my ceiling after it fell off. I noticed it was wrong this morning when it was sagging and cracked a bit. My joiner poked it with a stick and it fell.

I read on here that you can use something called stabilex then beto. (I think it was a post from church)

I tried pva in my little ones bedroom and it cracked after about 5 years. Think it might be best to overboard, but just checking on here first because my joiner will have some extra work to do and its more money. I want it doing right so it doesn't need looking at again.

Bonding fell off the artex!

Were doing a 3+3mm or 3+2mm coat. Sounds like a right faff on to have to bond it first, Id overboard it as you say.

5 handfuls of bonding in the first coat is what I've been doing lately fills out much better and doesn't bleb half as much..

Let it pick up then over with full multi for the second coat.

I find setting fire to the customers house then driving off is always a winner :RpS_thumbup:

the fan patterns need a coat of pva, then a tight coat of thistle bonding ,[ we use bonding and hardwall 50/50 to give suction} to obliterate the pattern, then skim. multi finish can shrink back and show the artex pattern through the finished work.

I was gunna pritty much say what malc has said cowen , best way to go if not overboarding . Dirty water sets if away quicker too lol

You guys are legends appreciate the replies. Bookmarked this as well for the first time I get an artex ceiling.

I have used one coat plaster over an artexed fan pattern ceiling...... Probably about 30m square..... It worked well infact the finish was spot on..... It bonded fine with no problems.... 2 problems in found it takes about 4hours to finish and can be messy...... So I usually do similar to malc.

I can't understand why on earth a plasterer would put bonding onto a pattern as slim as that, a quick scrape for any big lumps, pva or gypbond (blue grit) and skimming over should of been straight forward job.

That's got to be one of the shittest artex patterns I've seen and they're all ****!

Don't know how you can say that fella, love artex and steam strippers, they have warrant me a fortune over the years. Shame I wasted it on wine & women mind.

Never used bonding over a artexed ceiling and never will scrape down that way you check to see if the artex is going come away then stabilex if dusty and PVa and skim never had a problem over combed patterns

The question is...

Why didn't the unibond stick?
What is the best way to have my dream ceiling based on the information?

Seeing the bloke today. I'm sick and just want it done now!

if you want peace of mind you need to over board it.
But i have skimmed hundreds of artex ceilings with only one failing, i think you have just been unlucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.