brand new ceiling repaired 3 times, still cracking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
rock you can have a penny gap and in the real world day in day out butted up boards don't crack

Is it still visible? Can you get a picture and no disrespect didn't you spot it when he finished?

no, it wasnt visible until repainted then its obvious....when the light catches it.
I will try and get pictures tomorrow, they just come out as a blank white screen, although that said the camera I am using is only a phone camera so not the best...

if the boards and scrim ahvent been applied correctly which are menat to strengthen the joints then obviously thats the fault of the plasterer, your statement seems a litltle odd to me again?
The joists are at 450 centres and are 9x2 timbers

Listen, I have worked for countless builders who insist on doing their own boarding and more than a few are terrible at it or get their labourers to do it. I am talking about boarding far far worse than yours. Paper edges following the joists, nailed boards that you can push up a inch popping the nail, big gaps etc etc and quite often i have skimmed ceilings with all of these faults.
After screwing up where needed and a few double scrims here and there I just skim the bloody things.... They dont crack.

However, I have seen a shed load of ceilings crack because of movement, too big centres, 9.5mm boards, water damage.

Let me also rule out poorly applied scrim and too thin plaster, that is clutching at straws.

You wouldn't be trying to steer this thread the way you want to build evidence against the plasterer would you?

can i just ask who the insurer is and have you rung them because they employed them and paid them so they will/should sort it!! just the same as if you broke a laptop and it wasnt working right, the insurer would sort it out

i still cant believe that they paid that much for a ceiling doing, in my experience the insurance company normally go for the cheapest quote not the completely ridiculous one

can i just ask who the insurer is and have you rung them because they employed them and paid them so they will/should sort it!! just the same as if you broke a laptop and it wasnt working right, the insurer would sort it out

i still cant believe that they paid that much for a ceiling doing, in my experience the insurance company normally go for the cheapest quote not the completely ridiculous one

They quite often go for the middle quote.

to be honest its always the cheapest in my experience because I only write 2 out:RpS_thumbsup:

Timbers move, expand and so on no matter how solid. Hence why boards are staggered.
Unstaggered boards on a ceiling that length would weaken the whole ceiling (every joint)

Listen, I have worked for countless builders who insist on doing their own boarding and more than a few are terrible at it or get their labourers to do it. I am talking about boarding far far worse than yours. Paper edges following the joists, nailed boards that you can push up a inch popping the nail, big gaps etc etc and quite often i have skimmed ceilings with all of these faults.
After screwing up where needed and a few double scrims here and there I just skim the bloody things.... They dont crack.

However, I have seen a shed load of ceilings crack because of movement, too big centres, 9.5mm boards, water damage.

Let me also rule out poorly applied scrim and too thin plaster, that is clutching at straws.

You wouldn't be trying to steer this thread the way you want to build evidence against the plasterer would you?

hmmm, as i thought your posts seemed to be going....your first post jumped in making wild statements without any basis the you rule out thin plaster and poorly applied scrim tape without any evidence and against the views of people who have actually seen the ceiling and seemingly the majority of posters on here. you also state the way you get over these issues screwing up where needed and extra scrims - what evidence has been given to say that had been done here??
The boards are 12.5mm there is no water damage, no movement, and the joists are at 450mm centres, so please let me know how you come to your conclusion that the skim was definately thick enough and the scrim applied correctly??
Do the ceilings that you fit have raised lines at all the joints immediately after you have skimmed them then?
please explain yourself, as stated I am taking as much advice as I can regarding the best way to rectify this problem before things get nasty if i was as you put it attemtpting to steer the thread to build a case against the plasterer then I probably wouldnt have been the kind of person to allow him to repair it 3 times would I... If I wanted to simply take him to court then not staggering the boards and the coving falling off would be enough for that!

Why do you not get a straight edge span across the joist and see how well the joist are set out. I have seen this when a joist is proud of the others and the boards butt onto this joist this can bring pressure on the joint and cracking.

JJokeff you don't have to take him to court, the insurance company will deal with it & should put it right.
They paid for the job to be done not you.
Give them a call & see what they say.

hmmm, as i thought your posts seemed to be going....your first post jumped in making wild statements without any basis the you rule out thin plaster and poorly applied scrim tape without any evidence and against the views of people who have actually seen the ceiling and seemingly the majority of posters on here. you also state the way you get over these issues screwing up where needed and extra scrims - what evidence has been given to say that had been done here??
The boards are 12.5mm there is no water damage, no movement, and the joists are at 450mm centres, so please let me know how you come to your conclusion that the skim was definately thick enough and the scrim applied correctly??
Do the ceilings that you fit have raised lines at all the joints immediately after you have skimmed them then?
please explain yourself, as stated I am taking as much advice as I can regarding the best way to rectify this problem before things get nasty if i was as you put it attemtpting to steer the thread to build a case against the plasterer then I probably wouldnt have been the kind of person to allow him to repair it 3 times would I... If I wanted to simply take him to court then not staggering the boards and the coving falling off would be enough for that!

You post on a public forum and you will get a balance of replies. Some agreeing with you and some not, seems you have a problem with the ones that don't, albeit with your extremely limited knowledge of the subject.

I couldn't care less about evidence this and that, i am simply telling you what i have seen through nearly 20 years of experience......take it or leave it. ( bet i can guess which option you'll choose)

Is the coving falling off too?:RpS_lol:

unibond cieling scrimtape any cracks and replaster probably just cost you price of 1 bag and unibond

Last edited by a moderator:
You post on a public forum and you will get a balance of replies. Some agreeing with you and some not, seems you have a problem with the ones that don't, albeit with your extremely limited knowledge of the subject.

I couldn't care less about evidence this and that, i am simply telling you what i have seen through nearly 20 years of experience......take it or leave it. ( bet i can guess which option you'll choose)

Is the coving falling off too?:RpS_lol:

yes the coving was falling off too, and sorry to disappoint you but i have no problem with people having differnet opinions, but an opinion without any basis is simply boll@@@s, might as well have posted that it shouldnt crack just because it shouldnt... being defensive for an entire profession against a member of the public is ridiculous hence my initial reply to your first post - it was odd because although somethings done admittedly were wrong with regard to this ceiling you state that nothing is wrong with way its fitted..
anyway thats enough for me if you actually read the posts I was looking for advice on how to rectify the problems not.. you have meanwhile told me nothing as you havent backed up anything you have stated , just it wouldnt happen.. so whats the point in posting?

To rectify the problem properly

Ring the insurance, tell them.

If joists are proud they need either plaining or the other joists packing out. Personally for the money you'v paid I'd rip it down and start again if you can't live with it, textured paint is also an option to cover cracks.

I'v done my best to give you what I know as have others, without jumping on the van and driving up there to see it, don't think there's much more I can say.

Hope you get it sorted, let us know what insurance say.

This is a fookin wind up. Why the fook don't u get a plasterer round to have a look rather than waste our virtual world time

i have another plasterer coming round next week.
the insurance company just said that he must put it right, but were very vague about what would happen if he refused, so we will see.
thanks for the replies, constructive and not.. not much more can be said i suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.