crack down wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

hail hail

Private Member
Was called out to a cousins chicks house to look a vertical crack down the wall. This wall was replastered a few years ago because the walls were bad. It was pvad then skimmed. I've told them its either 3 things, structural, PVA not done right or the blocks have cracked from shrinkage.

They've asked me do I know of any filler that can fill this crack. One that might be able to take some movement but couldn't think of any. I was just going to fill it with normal filler but thought I'd ask on here first to see if anyone can recommend anything for it.

Was called out to a cousins chicks house to look a vertical crack down the wall. This wall was replastered a few years ago because the walls were bad. It was pvad then skimmed. I've told them its either 3 things, structural, PVA not done right or the blocks have cracked from shrinkage.

They've asked me do I know of any filler that can fill this crack. One that might be able to take some movement but couldn't think of any. I was just going to fill it with normal filler but thought I'd ask on here first to see if anyone can recommend anything for it.
If it was bad for a start then got skimmed and lasted a few years, not sure what they expect from a filler?
Get a decorator in to line the walls with 1400 paper or do it in two hits first one horizontally second vertical that should cover it up but won't solve their problem

Sounds dangerous id tell them to move.(y)

Tell them its down to rising damp which is causing the plaster to expand and contract....offer to inject the whole house and re plaster the full down stairs for them....say as she's a friend of a friend you'll give a really good rate (y)

Take a damp meter and shake your head sadly as you put it on all the walls.

the crack sounds like thermal cracking, the wall needs to be dot and dab and boarded over.

That Welsh songtress Duffy had a 3" crack in her, which made her house fall over or something.
:frenetico:.
crack down wall

Songtress......is that a word, she had really big eyebrows if I remember correctly, for that reason im glad her house fell down.

You need to rake out the crack then pva and fill with filler or similar and at same time put hessian scrim over it. Grit the wall and skim with a couple handfulls of bonding in first coat with added fibres in first coat.

Sounds bad. I'd get a structural engineer in and worst case scenario expect to knock the house down and rebuild.

You need to rake out the crack then pva and fill with filler or similar and at same time put hessian scrim over it. Grit the wall and skim with a couple handfulls of bonding in first coat with added fibres in first coat.

Sounds like a plan thou might just cut out 2 tracks a ft apart, rake it all out, cover crack with scrim then that funny scrim you mention and reskim the part tracked out. Its quite a big wall so couldn't be fcuked skimming it all just for 1 hairline crack!

It's nothing to do with pva, possibly crack was already there and not scrimmed is most likely

The wall was already painted and only 1 coat of PVA. That's what made me think it was the PVA. Its either that or a structural issue thou well only know that after its been skimmed and it reappears again

Is the plaster hollow sounding around the crack, if so its the pva, take all the boast sounding plaster of and patch. If sounds solid most likely structural.

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

Is the plaster hollow sounding around the crack, if so its the pva, take all the boast sounding plaster of and patch. If sounds solid most likely structural.

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

Tried that but no hollow sound

The wall was already painted and only 1 coat of PVA. That's what made me think it was the PVA. Its either that or a structural issue thou well only know that after its been skimmed and it reappears again

I only ever 1 coat pva anyway unless wall is stupidly porous

I only ever 1 coat pva anyway unless wall is stupidly porous

Same here but I was thinking maybe it was a weak spot. I'll know in few months or years anyway after I sort it. Might even see the crack if its in the block work when I get the small kango on it. On the other side of the wall is where its tied into a non structural wall and no cracks there in either side of it alought one side is a bathroom and tiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.