filling over new plaster

Members online

Hello,

I'm up against a bit of a deadline to get a room finished and painted.

My plasterer is telling me he will finish the plastering tonight, I should then fill any bits that aren't smooth and do a mist coat in the morning then he will come back and sand the bits I've filled tomorrow afternoon. then I can continue pianting this weekend.

Can I fill over new plaster? If so what should I use easyfill or caulk?

Also I have paint for new plaster which I understand is what I need to allow the walls to breathe, but will that be OK to use even if the plaster is still pink? Finally if the paint is OK, should I water it down - it doesn't say that on the tin, but I'm not clear for the first coat.

Many thanks
Sorry to say but from what I’ve just read, He definitely IS NOT a plasterer! Asking you to fill his mistakes and talking about sanding down his work!!! What a complete embarrassment!!!

Sorry to say but from what I’ve just read, He definitely IS NOT a plasterer! Asking you to fill his mistakes and talking about sanding down his work!!! What a complete embarrassment!!!
Gotta feel for some people and how he can call himself a Plasterer I will never know

No problem
Sorry just realised I'm also not clear - should he sand down any other rough bits (not the stuff that he has already filled but where there are rough bits in the plaster ) before or after the mist coat? Thanks again

Sorry just realised I'm also not clear - should he sand down any other rough bits (not the stuff that he has already filled but where there are rough bits in the plaster ) before or after the mist coat? Thanks again
Paint it first after what I said and see what you got put some pics up

Just get the ruff c**t to rub it all down before and after! just for taking the f**k**g piss mate!!

IMG_1269.PNG

Hello,

My plasterer is telling me he will finish the plastering tonight, I should then fill any bits that aren't smooth and do a mist coat in the morning then he will come back and sand the bits I've filled tomorrow afternoon. then I can continue pianting this weekend.

Also I have paint for new plaster which I understand is what I need to allow the walls to breathe, but will that be OK to use even if the plaster is still pink? Finally if the paint is OK, should I water it down - it doesn't say that on the tin, but I'm not clear for the first coat.

Many thanks
You will get away with your mist coat, but to use filler and sand when its really still wet is not a good idea, you'll just give yourself more grief and work, just out of interest have you paid this clown the full asking price or kept a retention to pay towards a decent spread, for the re-skim:confused:

You will get away with your mist coat, but to use filler and sand when its really still wet is not a good idea, you'll just give yourself more grief and work, just out of interest have you paid this clown the full asking price or kept a retention to pay towards a decent spread, for the re-skim:confused:

Ha, unfortunately I paid him half upfront... So do you think I will be OK with the mist coat now, even though much of it is still dark brown? He only finished the skimming last night

Ha, unfortunately I paid him half upfront... So do you think I will be OK with the mist coat now, even though much of it is still dark brown? He only finished the skimming last night
waite until its dry before you do any thing under normal circumstances you could crack on with your mist coat, but you don't want to have to take any blame IE going on to it too early, open the windows stick a fan in the room and get it dry first

Mr chief09, Surely when the muppet asked you for half up front it would have made you question his professional ability, I mean half up front for a one room skim, me thinks ha asked you for that in case you sussed him out and told him to f**k off and he would have probably obliged with half the doe, Lesson for next time if you are asked by any tradesman for half up front for a small job with the exception of expensive materials that he would supply then I would be blunt and ask why, no shame in that my friend

Hello,

Many thanks
To be quite frank, it doesn't take much extra time to have a job finished to a paintable finish as apose to leaving rough... hard to comment when your not seeing the job but you really shouldn't be filling areas after it's been plastered unless you might have potential cracks though movement ECT as a final resort... regardless of circumstances, your not gonna know how bad it is till you've finished painting it... get the job done right... no excuses then.. but that's just my opinion mate..

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Wait till
It’s completely dry , mist coat , then fill as required

@gps seeing as you are to checkatrade what vincey is to the bg certified plasteres scheme would you mind explaining what's going on here?

Last edited: