Frustrated - help - *pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.

worz

Hi all, first let me say I WOULD hang my trowel up if I was considering doing this for a living, however I am doing my own house before renting it out.. also I do enjoy it :RpS_cursing:

OK I am self taught and have only actually did about 6 walls and 2 ceilings now, I am starting to get annoyed with a few issues lately.

Issue 1 is plaster going off fast in certain spots, I've got my mix time to 3 mins or less, no heat in room etc, fresh plaster onto fresh plasterboards but I seem to get the odd random area thats almost hard !? very annoying when other parts next to it are wet.

The biggest issue I have found on the last 2 walls (both boarded) are BUMPS where the scrim is, you can't feel the scrim itself but can feel a BUMP along the line of it!?

Here is some pictures, I did the 2 side walls first which weren't boarded and I was almost somewhat happy with those.. no bumps etc: I put some screws into any cracks then scrim'd them

IMG_0856_zpsf4af5881.jpg

IMG_0860_zps89ff9083.jpg

IMG_0865_zps6d3bcc7a.jpg

IMG_0975_zps9adb6cc9.jpg

I know they aren't great but for me I'm OK with them, obviously I want and need to get a lot better.. but then on the other walls all these stupid issues?

Along the ledge in the pic below between the 2 windows that join there, after plastering has a bump along about half of it, why is this happening? also on the opposite wall to that I did yesterday (also boarded) same issue in many parts.

IMG_0884_zpse73a3eaf.jpg

I'm using 100mm super scrim tape then just plastering the wall, should i put some over the tape before plastering ? I see some people do that.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, sometimes I think I put it on too thin others times I think too thick..ugh

As said guys, learning wannabe plasterer for own use here so go easy, just want to learn and get better

Thanks in advance

The quick drying bits maybe where theres a draught (draft) (sorry had a few alread)

also some boards if they have been hanging around become a bit odd and could do with a lick of PVA... or just work quicker :)

Other than that they look ok :)

lol I have already done 4 pints in the pub had a nice walk along teh beach a quick stop at our renovation project opened up a few presents then about top bosh dinner and then head to a house party :D

Merry christmas @Fibrehand7

Last edited:
lol I have already done 4 pints in the pub had a nice walk along teh beach a quick stop at our renovation project opened up a few presents then about top bosh dinner and then head to a house party :D

Merry christmas @Fibrehand7

danny' you be careful with your stomach :RpS_lol:

Be 2 thin in places a lot of lads we have had new starters always seem to put it on too thin in places to start with this time of year takes for ever to go off on plaster board

It's on the joints of your plasterboard.

its just the scrim and if your using straight edge boards it's worse, it happened to me a few years ago on a wall that was about 15m long, very slight ridges (I hate that word) over the joints, it wasn't picked up by anyone it was just something I noticed.

i tend to use tapered edge boards when I can.

bloody hell. Well impressed for self taught, I mean really really good. I was told to go over the scrim first before putting the first coat on just to back up what another poster said.

I am pretty sure that's what I'm doing wrong, or laying it on thick then flattening too soon and taking it all back off. Will work on it, thanks guys.

Also, I just scrim and go I don't put any over the scrim prior to plastering, should I ?

Interesting you mention the tapered edge board as I started off buying them on accident, then I switched to straight edge as I thought that was best for plastering. Although now I'm thinking the opposite :RpS_lol:

Although, used the same boards on the ceiling and didn't have that problem

bloody hell. Well impressed for self taught, I mean really really good. I was told to go over the scrim first before putting the first coat on just to back up what another poster said.

Thanks for that, although you should see the ceiling it wasn't the best :RpS_scared:

Thanks for that, although you should see the ceiling it wasn't the best :RpS_scared:

Mine are not either and I've been a student for a bit. According to people on here its a time thing more than anything, takes a few years practice.

Worst thing about tapered edge board is if you stick skim bead on the tapered edge you cant get any thickness on... I try now to not do it but a couple of times I have had to bond out the corner then stick the bead on... FFS

Danny :D

i would never purchase tapered edge plasterboard if i was going to skim.
i would not cut off the bonded edge of the board on an external angle. you know that the bonded edge is straight so two bonded edged boards on an external is going to straighten the angle up.

Mine are not either and I've been a student for a bit. According to people on here its a time thing more than anything, takes a few years practice.

Yeah, the problem is timing when you're learning makes no sense as you have to wait between coats etc etc but due to being a novice and being so slow, there is no time to wait. I learn by doing as I think it's the best way, but there is so much to learn :RpS_laugh: full respect to the people who do this with ease

this is the first ceiling i did, came out ok but was a small room

IMG_1009_zpsa95b1144.jpg

and this is the one I'm referring to. i mist coated it yesterday to highlight all my mess ups, so ill sand and fill them today, however since mist coating it isn't look as bad as I first thought

IMG_1010_zps52e46a95.jpg

IMG_1011_zps8093329f.jpg

thanks for all the advice and replies

So, what is going to be the best way to avoid the joins bumping out again? just lay it on thicker? or put some plaster or joint filler along the scrim before plastering the wall? as I've already boarded up the landing and don't want it to happen again

Status
Not open for further replies.