going self employed advice....

What you all think of the sign writing a van?

we have in the past had sign writing on vehicles, people do get to know the local trades. we don't bother now .
if you are going down the sub contract route main contractors don't like other sign written vehicles.

Some don't have £10 k after 40 years , it's all about what you want to do with it, business plan etc ,
Basically it's for advertising, small van, and cash flow if I don't get no work whilst it's quite to begin with.
I've got contacts just need to take poking some day ...
What u think?
Or am I over cautious??

You think £10000 is enough to get going in my own ?
Just a gestimate....

I'd say that these questions are starting to point to your inexperience....

How much money you've got isn't half as relevant as your attitude.

If I were you, I'd make a commitment to try to live on UK dole money for a significant period of time (I had to) and price to get EVERY job. Go in at about £80-90 a day.

Worry about making big money when everyone is saying what a nice man you are and how affordable you are.

I know my trade inside out thanks mate.
Lime plastering
Float and set
Tanking et etc...
Just not a great deal of experience in going self employed.
But thanks again stevie

I'd say that these questions are starting to point to your inexperience....

How much money you've got isn't half as relevant as your attitude.

If I were you, I'd make a commitment to try to live on UK dole money for a significant period of time (I had to) and price to get EVERY job. Go in at about £80-90 a day.

Worry about making big money when everyone is saying what a nice man you are and how affordable you are.
Load of bollox, if you went in at £80 a day more fool you

Lime plastering
Float and set
Tanking et etc...
But thanks again stevie
Go in at the price everyone else's charges , why go lower, use the tools available on the internet, you don't need to take £80 a day, I never did, double it was the least I ever took from day 1

Lime plastering
Float and set
Tanking et etc...
But thanks again stevie

Being self employed is a doddle. The key is looking after your customers and shepherding your cash.

I fell down on this towards the end of the boom.. the work dried up but I'd been partying like everyone else.

I'm self employed again now, albeit in a different discipline, but the principal is the same. Always think of yourself as skint. Be mean with yourself and don't be afraid to pay for quality materials or talent. (but always bicker a bit if you can) No chucking it about after a big job pays out.

Be grim and the world's your oyster.

I started my current business with £1100 and nothing on the horizon and I'm still here now.

It's nothing against you bud so not having a go, £400 for a room fair some lads 1 day, some lads 2 but doing a room for £160 fucks everyone up including the chap doing it

No it undercuts everyone else and drives prices down

Yes I know it does. It's called a free economy. Either our pal will eventually realise that he's worth more or you will eventually realise that you're worth less.

That's how the world goes around.

I'm not worth less

Of course not.

But it's always balanced against what the other fella has to offer.

Lots of people with sharp elbows when it comes to taking cash off the customer.

It's exactly the same in every business unless you have something new to offer.