Help! Anyone heard of ‘solid dab’ or ‘double bab’?!

Members online

No members online now.

Laginge

Dear Plasteres, some advice please! We have been deliberating between wet and plasterboard for our hallway (1k cheaper for Dotndab). We don’t like the acoustics or ‘feel’ of d&d compared to wet plaster. A plasterer has suggested ‘solid dabbing’, essentially using more adhesive to fix the board so it feels and sounds solid as a middle ground. I can’t find information about this anywhere so I’m unsure if this exists? Can anyone help me out with this please? I would very much appreciate your advice as I have to decide this weekend and I’m confused with this. :)
Thanks a lot!

The guy who suggested “solid dab” can’t wet plaster. Float and set will always be more, if that’s what you want go for that. Get somebody recommended or a regular off here, you’ll get looked after with a proper job.

I believe the technical term is; spreading of the dob

It’s the hallway, stairs and top landing. We’re wincing a big at the cash got to be honest. We took it down to brick ourselves and pva’d It. So, is ‘solid dab’ a thing? thanks for all your replies.

Dear Plasteres, some advice please! We have been deliberating between wet and plasterboard for our hallway (1k cheaper for Dotndab). We don’t like the acoustics or ‘feel’ of d&d compared to wet plaster. A plasterer has suggested ‘solid dabbing’, essentially using more adhesive to fix the board so it feels and sounds solid as a middle ground. I can’t find information about this anywhere so I’m unsure if this exists? Can anyone help me out with this please? I would very much appreciate your advice as I have to decide this weekend and I’m confused with this. :)
Thanks a lot!
As has already been eluded to, you're currently dealing with a low skilled dick head that can't solid plaster to save his life. Get in touch with a proper plasterer who can give you what you want. All that said there are times that d&d is the best option.
Providing that your walls don't need to go on silly thick there's no reason why it should cost hardly any more to float and set over d&d as the materials work out cheaper.

Dot and dab is crap in my opinion.its a quick fix or a installation method intended to speed up construction. I reckon this system has high likelihood of failing in time. I have been in properties only 5 years old and tapped dot and dab walls just to hear it hollow where gear is no longer bonded, but can tell that it has gear behind them areas.
I reckon Insta stick has more chance of staying bonded, but you would have to be generous with it to increase chances ( very expensive).
Go with a real spread and have a proper home instead.

Dot and dab is crap in my opinion.its a quick fix or a installation method intended to speed up construction. I reckon this system has high likelihood of failing in time. I have been in properties only 5 years old and tapped dot and dab walls just to hear it hollow where gear is no longer bonded, but can tell that it has gear behind them areas.
I reckon Insta stick has more chance of staying bonded, but you would have to be generous with it to increase chances ( very expensive).

If it’s no longer bonded, then it’s because the dabber hasn’t prepared the walls properly. Dry dusty walls won’t take ‘dab’ properly.

Posted up today by @Lastlaff just get it plastered sod D&D

If it’s no longer bonded, then it’s because the dabber hasn’t prepared the walls properly. Dry dusty walls won’t take ‘dab’ properly.
Think it sounds more as if boards have pulled away from dab, unless it's because dab was drawn into wall to quickly or moisture got to boards before they were used and paper lost its durability. Only solution I can think of without gutting house is drill holes and pump Insta stick. Tragic, buy a new house and have it deteriorate around you.

Ware did u get that film of the dog with the dollars. I want it . Stick sound block on the wall plenty of dabs. Less mess. .

Ware did u get that film of the dog with the dollars. I want it . Stick sound block on the wall plenty of dabs. Less mess. .
So have you heard of this ‘solid dab’ (ie using a bag a board so there’s less gaps behind? That’s what I’m trying to figure out.... I’ve looked everywhere on the internet and can’t see anything like this at all.

....and are any plasterers on here Manchester based that actually would LIKE to solid plaster? I can’t seem to find them anymore

Even if you agreed to a dabbed job with extra dabs you would have to hope you got a decent bloke who is going to do as he says. You won’t be any the wiser unless you stood and watch which I wouldnt recommend!

When i was at college the teacher said there doing away with dot n dab because of that reason.....guess they didn't lol

Solid dabbing is actually a regulation to create air tight spaces to stop air travel which I believe is;
Create fixing points every 400-600.
Create trapped air spots to allow them to heat and cool quick.
Also to stop fire rising/crossing along walls and floor to floor?

As far as acoustics go it will reduce the sound slightly compared to (scatter dabbing) but solid render but it's a hallway depends how far you want too take it.

Have B.G started using better backing paper or is the brown side still recycled paper and not to be plastered. If so why is o.k to stick dabs to and become a structual element

Even if you agreed to a dabbed job with extra dabs you would have to hope you got a decent bloke who is going to do as he says. You won’t be any the wiser unless you stood and watch which I wouldnt recommend!
Let's be honest, most guys don't do d&d correctly anyway. When I say to guys that you shouldn't be getting more than two sheets stuck with a bag of adhesive they laugh at me. When people say that you only have to give the board a gentle tap I know straight away that they're not doing it according to spec. Done correctly d&d is surprisingly solid.

As long as it's a good job either way is fine! I personally prefer solid but not against either, like said before if dabbing plenty of dab and decent size ones! The Idea is so it's spreads at the back of the board to make a solid wall when slapped on!