Hi there. Equipment question.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy900

Hi there. Before I was ill for a while about 3 years ago I spent 8 weeks on a plastering course and obtained my City & Guilds Intermediate Construction Award.

Now that I am fully recovered I'm looking to start up a plastering business but I could use some advice in buying equipment. Is there a place where you can buy a plastering van with the tools already in stock? Could you recommend a store where I could buy 'worn in' plastering equipment as I am unsure how much equipment I would need for starting out? Is there a list anywhere?

I'm in the process of studying a plastering dvd to try and refresh my skills.

I would appreciate any help with this.

I also appreciate that people don't think much of the courses and others have been time served for about 5 years before getting their city & guilds. Although I've asked around if I could be a plasterers laborer where I've lived, I've not had any joy in getting anywhere in doing that. I have done some practicing (done a mates bathroom and kitchen) but I realize that I need far more experience before becoming a reliable plasterer. Can do skimming quite well but not so great at outside wall rendering. So if you excuse the newbie questions I didn't mean to look so silly on the first post.

If you are genuine, then just go buy a old Transit, dust sheets, buckets, mixer, hawk n trowel.Then if you make a go of it just buy what you need when you need it.Never herd of such a thing as a standard set up.

However, if you give me your dosh i`ll go out and spend your money and get you what you need and take a healthy cut, cos thats all someones going to do if you find anyone doing it

Jim do yourself a favour buy the electricians van already stocked with tools i can get you one if you gimme a couple of days oh and i won't bum you

http://
Blog-Red-Flag1_zps7f98952e.jpg

Nice one gibbo " i wont bum you".........:RpS_laugh:

I always recommend these for start up companies :RpS_thumbup:

You'll need one of these:

photo-703.jpg

And plenty of this:

photo-692.jpg

who the hell would want to start a plastering business in the present climate? go and get a head check up.

if ya realy serious mate,get in touch with as many local plasteres as you can and ask if you can do a few days unpaid work to get some experiance..what you learn in college means nothing if you can't understand and work different backgrounds:RpS_thumbup:

Thanks guys. Ha ha, love some of the replies. I did pay to do an 8 week course, but the people that taught it weren't cowboys and they taught me to skim rather well. I was a bit surprised that I passed my City & Guilds, but like I said I'm not experienced. I'll do that, get in touch with them properly. When I asked to be a laborer a few people said they weren't hiring so I'll ask just for experience instead.

jimmy, just take on some small jobs to start with mate, your mates or family jobs, you'll soon get your confidence built up, then bang some adds in local newspapers, make some flyers on yer pc and post em locally, put them in newsagents and chip shops were plenty of people visit, i found works well is google places. when you get the calls ask what the job entails, you shud know straight away if your comfortable with it. take it from there, after each job you'll gain more and more experience, this is domestic work im talking about. On site work is a different ball game. I only do domestic work, i enjoy it, never done site work, its never interested me,there is plenty of work in the domestic but only if your price is right, theres plenty of competition ! you need to advertise tho mate, nobody will know you otherwise ! I work alone most of the time, i have Property Maintenance business which covers the times when not plastering but prefer to be plastering, keep at it mate and it will come, but you must get your name about !

Hi there. Before I was ill for a while about 3 years ago I spent 8 weeks on a plastering course and obtained my City & Guilds Intermediate Construction Award.

Now that I am fully recovered I'm looking to start up a plastering business but I could use some advice in buying equipment. Is there a place where you can buy a plastering van with the tools already in stock? Could you recommend a store where I could buy 'worn in' plastering equipment as I am unsure how much equipment I would need for starting out? Is there a list anywhere?

I'm in the process of studying a plastering dvd to try and refresh my skills.

I would appreciate any help with this.

hang on. you did an 8 week course 3 yrs ago. so what you could do **** then, youll be able to do really **** now. the course was so informative and you remember it so well that you dont know what tools you need. your looking for somewhere that sells a plastering van, whatever that it, conveniently with all the tools already in it. and then if not, you want to but second hand tools?

and now, as your obviously a clueless doughnut, your studying a dvd, which after an hour or so, youll be all refreshed and ready to start charging people to do a job that you cant remember how to do, have no experience in and dont know what tools you need.

if there is such a thing as natural selection then id be careful if i were you

how comes you were ill for 3 yrs anyway?

my advice forget the dvd's...look on you tube for hillside...he'l sort you out good n proper....good luck:RpS_thumbup:

I skimmed my mates bathroom and kitchen only 3 months ago. I can skim rather well for someone with 8 months experience I think. Just need more experience outside wall rendering. There ain't much plasterers in the town where I stay. They mainly come in from Edinburgh. Sorry I'm not prepared to say what I was ill with. I learned a lot from the 8 week course and I did manage to get my City & Guilds which as you know is recognized. I'm not completely clueless and I'm sorry I came across that way but once I've got some experience with another plasterer I would like to set up a business quite quickly: thinking about getting a bank loan. Obviously I'll start off with small jobs first.

http://
Blog-Red-Flag1_zps7f98952e.jpg

jim jimminy jim jimminy jim jim jarroo.......i think your suspect cos you aint got a clue.................:RpS_biggrin:

fully stocked van:RpS_thumbsup: think ive just thought of a new venture!! ill start advertising outside the local course places

Status
Not open for further replies.