In the deep end ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albertsclacton

After yearS of being a subbie,and to be fair Had gutfull of site work (20 years of arseache)....Ive finaly started pulling in domestic work through local builders,and could keep a gang going for a good year atleast._.The situation ive got is that,i assume is that when pricing site work,its straight to a qs and if any good and competitive and a back hander,you tend to win tenders._.Its abit different with small builders as you tend to deal with the client also as well as the builders._and can be tricky when pricing,because both pricing range can be way off!!!,also with your price also in mind._.Can cause headaches,._.Now i think,probably wrong,that when you are payed m2 as a sub contractor the firm you work through take 50% on top,,dont shoot the messanger??? Do rates still apply to small builders,i mean my first one is say 1000 m2 of ocr._on site being paid 12 nicker a m2,what would you charge a small size builder?/? Without trying to insult all parties,would 29 sound a bit far fetched as m2 ._.._.._tricky,any advice would be appreciated

i would not give any small builder . or a domestic customer a m2 price. the areas are to small and not straight forward enough.
work out a good daywork rate, plus a profit.
clacton is not the top end of the market.

@malc has it right.

Speaking as a 'small builder' I have never paid by meterage, nor been asked to. The formula for pricing domestic work and small building projects is very simple.

(length of time to do the work X hourly or daily rate) + materials + percentage for profit = price

It doesn't mater if you're plasterer, sparky plumber or the builder.

Divide how much you want for a full day's work by how many meters you can comfortably get done in a day , plus make clear any unforeseen work or problems will be extra.

That's strange, any small builder we have worked for insists on a m2 rate. Unless it's some awkward thing

On a lot of jobs they work out roughly the same. However it makes things much easier if there's a consistent approach, removes any arguements about including/excluding reveals, stops the 'debate' about how many metres it is, no issues with amount of materials/waste because the amount of materials don't tally with the quoted meterage, and it allows you to include other issues such as access difficulties.

25 square metres in a ground floor extension on the side of a detatched house is a very different animal to 25 square metres in a two storey extension at the rear of a terrace, or 25 square metres in a loft conversion. If you charge a meterage price they'd all cost the same, if you charge the way I've described there are three very differen prices.

@malc has it right.

Speaking as a 'small builder' I have never paid by meterage, nor been asked to. The formula for pricing domestic work and small building projects is very simple.

(length of time to do the work X hourly or daily rate) + materials + percentage for profit = price

It doesn't mater if you're plasterer, sparky plumber or the builder.
So how small a builder are you??:estudioso:

Always baffles me how people don't know how to charge.... week one day 1 of being self employed

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
I agree, but its still better asking than doing domestic work on site rates!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Can't understand how you can have enough work for 1 gang for a yr firstly on domestics never mind not knowing what to charge???

I'd take a gang as being minimum of 3 men so that would be the equivalent of 3 yrs work booked in for a sole trader on domestics!!!

Its getting crazier by the day this place!!!

Can't understand how you can have enough work for 1 gang for a yr firstly on domestics never mind not knowing what to charge???

I'd take a gang as being minimum of 3 men so that would be the equivalent of 3 yrs work booked in for a sole trader on domestics!!!

Its getting crazier by the day this place!!!

Like been mentioned only so many times you will sell yourself short before you start to up your prices and get it right

How can any1 be booked in for a year on domestics with a small builder for a 3 gang lol!? Cnt do much in day if uve got a years domestics booked in for 3 men wen we work for small builders there want it doing yestarday

How can any1 be booked in for a year on domestics with a small builder for a 3 gang lol!? Cnt do much in day if uve got a years domestics booked in for 3 men wen we work for small builders there want it doing yestarday
They might subbing for the council...but then prices dictated by main contractor.

They might subbing for the council...but then prices dictated by main contractor.

Then its not domestic in the true sense...

Domestic work to me is supply and fit to Mrs Jones..

Possibly small builder extensions, kitchen/bathroom company's etc.

All of which would be on a set price for each individual job on its merrit for me?

Never workred on a m2 price ever for any domestic job ever!

M2 for me is commercial works for long contracts or if new builds per plot prices..

All of which would be on a set price for me
Yeah you could be right, however I can't see a domesticated animal booked in for a year ahead.

All of which would be on a set price for me
Wat I thought zombie small builder with extensions etc but how many extensions can a builder do to keep a 3 man going for a year! Can bash a full extension out in a few days

Wat I thought zombie small builder with extensions etc but how many extensions can a builder do to keep a 3 man going for a year! Can bash a full extension out in a few days

Exactly pal...I'm either getting to cynical or every other person seem to be full of shite on here latley!!!

All of which would be on a set price for each individual job on its merrit for me?

M2 for me is commercial works for long contracts or if new builds per plot prices..
I also do work for her.

I think some people confuse themselves..only way ud have a years work in diary for a 3 man gang is thru site work and even that's not realistic unless ur on a massive job..

We can all be busy on cheap rates and I think it's hard to find a builder who won't knock you down say he can get it done cheaper yet he the one driving around in a Range Rover not me, I think if you can be booked up a month in advance on domestics and price in that month it's the only way to tick over very rare on domestics could someone say 100% they booked for a year old Mrs Jones ain't gonna wait 6 months for a box room to be skimmed is she

Exactly pal...I'm either getting to cynical or every other person seem to be full of shite on here latley!!!
We can all be booked up but the truth is we are all jobless the day after tomorrow just get through tomorrow and get paid.
Never been booked for a year myself.

We can all be booked up but the truth is we are all jobless the day after tomorrow just get through tomorrow and get paid.
Never been booked for a year myself.
You wouldn't have time to be booked up because of all your profiles u got on here must be like another full time job for you:lol:

the firm he works for could have a big contract on housing estates to say rip out and fit kitchens.... or bathrooms... or maybe a deal with housing associations...

the firm he works for could have a big contract on housing estates to say rip out and fit kitchens.... or bathrooms... or maybe a deal with housing associations...

Then he's not working on domestics....he's subcontracting to a main contractor whose property's happen to be residential its still site work in every sense payments,invoice,health & safety etc.

Domestics work by definition is a self employed person working directly to the residential customer and source all there own work!

Reactions: Pug
Then he's not working on domestics....he's subcontracting to a main contractor whose property's happen to be residential its still site work in every sense payments,invoice,health & safety etc.

Domestics work by definition is a self employed person working directly to the residential customer and source all there own work!

yeah fair enough :D

I usually charge day rate with small builders but a bit cheaper than my rate would be if I'd got the job direct, then tell em how many days it'll take
Seems to work for me

I've never done site only domestics.
I was given a a list of jobs from a small loft company I work for before Xmas with approx dates they want me.
Those dates stretch to July so not quite a year plus that's obviously not every day.
I'm currently on a large 5 bed house to skim and rough as well as other small jobs booked which will take me up to March solid.
I then have 6 outside jobs to start at around 2 weeks each, so this all takes me up to around summer time.
This is for 4 of us.
So I'm only half a year.
If you've got large domestic jobs it's quite easy, if you just do rooms then that's a f**k load of work with a lot of patient clients!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've got millions and squillions of m2!!! Feck knows how long we've got but I'm enjoying it whilst it lasts as cud go tits up anytime

Status
Not open for further replies.