Job for fresh starters!

Members online

Plus they might f**k off and waste your time and money however much it was!

Yes they might.

And a useless apprentice tagalong will probably cost money for a few months, break even for a bit - with a few ups and downs... hopefully less downs as time goes on- and show a profit in the year before you wish him luck.

Bada bing. Them's the rules.

I've tried to type this many times and ended up wringing my hands....

The advertiser is a c**t. He wants everyone else's hard work for £40 a day.

What a wnaker.

Fine. No problem with giving a new lad a chance.

But an apprentice is an apprentice. It's an official thing with an official rate of pay.

This employer is looking for a newly qualified man on less than the rate.

There's laws about people like him doing things like that for a very good reason.
A college leaver can be nvq level 2. Which is a broad spectrum of skill and knowledge. I look at as they have attained the minimum standard to pass the qualification. An apprentice wage is age dependant
The guy I had was 22. His 1St year was apprentice rate on £3.50 an hour then his 2nd year was minimum was for his age which was double which is just short of £60 a day so you need to be charging £75 to cover yourself. No builder was gonna pay £75 a day for a semi skilled labourer when they can stump up £50 more for a proper spread. Good youngins are so hard to find and I've now realised the stress isn't worth it. I decent labourer is a better bet for me

Kids now days are absolutely useless!!!, I had it drummed into me when I was young to get a trade behind yourself because it’s with you for life! They just can’t get it!

A college leaver will have no on site experience only workshop.
They will have a level 2 diploma not an nvq
That said I normally start lads on 60 a day but they have a week to show their ability and if they s**t they gone

Has anyone at all on forum got a proper full time apprentice?
I’ve had 3. They all fook off as soon as they’re qualified! 1 left about 3 months ago. Tried a few lads in the meantime and thought, f**k it, can’t be arsed anymore. So much stress, hassle, risk and then they’re gone. Back to square one! :mad:
What happened to the days where an apprentice would stay and you could actually build a business with properly trained lads :mad:
It’s a sore point for me this.

I had one that stayed with me for 10 years right until the end when I packed it in. All depends how you treat them and how you pay them.

Are you done plastering completely now Stuart, just of interest

I’ve had 3. They all fook off as soon as they’re qualified! 1 left about 3 months ago. Tried a few lads in the meantime and thought, f**k it, can’t be arsed anymore. So much stress, hassle, risk and then they’re gone. Back to square one! :mad:
What happened to the days where an apprentice would stay and you could actually build a business with properly trained lads :mad:
It’s a sore point for me this.
One of the hardest lessons to teach them is the importance or turning in on time. It's a basic request but many fail. Even this test weeds them out early

No railway that should say. I could do it as I have loads of free time now but don't see the point as I hate it that much and would rather do other stuff with my time. I'm a cracking cook now, take the kids out all the time and like to head of on my bike wherever I please. Finished chasing money, making enough to live very comfortable, any more is just greed.

No railway that should say. I could do it as I have loads of free time now but don't see the point as I hate it that much and would rather do other stuff with my time. I'm a cracking cook now, take the kids out all the time and like to head of on my bike wherever I please. Finished chasing money, making enough to live very comfortable, any more is just greed.
Brilliant. Exactly what I’m after.

One of the hardest lessons to teach them is the importance or turning in on time. It's a basic request but many fail. Even this test weeds them out early

People being late is a real pet hate of mine. I once got the train to a meeting in Sheffield, stood outside the station for five minutes and got the very next train home. The man rang me a full 20 minutes after he was supposed to be there and was most put out that I was on my way home and no longer willing to do business with him.

I've sent people home for being late too.

I worked at a place in Manchester where being one minute late even once was a sacking offence. Taking stuff to a production line in Swindon. They work on 'just enough, just in time' to keep the production line going. They were willing to pay well for this sort of reliability but the contract specified huge penalties for late deliveries, so the boss gave you a whole hour to get out of the yard and something like 4 hrs to get to the job when it took 3 and a quarter . Dead easy work for the right man but if you were one minute late, you'd find the shunter getting your truck ready and your job in the paper the next day.

You just never know how important the other fella's time is and to take it boils my piss.