Judged by age

Status
Not open for further replies.
im close to running out of rum

Judged by age

Alright lads

I think I might be the youngest on here and want your view on things

To start I'm a plasterer of course! Started learning when I was 14 as I got booted outa school [emoji52][emoji52] at 16 I had my 1st child with my crazy missus [emoji38] I'm now 20 got 2 brilliant kids and run my own company... But when I go round and price jobs I get judged because of my age!

Without beating my own drum I'm s**t hot! Haha and I'm real busy

Anyone else get the s**t I do??

Thanks
PMSL.............Just what this place needs , another clown like 3D

Granted this place is full of dreamers but there is a handfull of good guys on here, so wind ya neck in and take on board the helpful information that is being divulged to you

Defo no circle of trust for you young grasshopper

Yeah not my normal way of doing things
Sounds like a right bodge job! As a chippy, there are two things that I find most irritating about the finish of plaster at the bottom of a wall: either there is a bulge left at or just above floor level (meaning I have to plane the back of the skirting), or there is a massive 3 or 4 inch gap, making it virtually impossible to get a good fixing to the wall. Thankfully the plasterer I work with now is the best I have ever found, and I have few problems.

I always take pride in my work, and as far as I'm concerned, even if something will never be seen by the customer, I know its not right, and therefore I do everything as if it was on display for all to see.

Also, fitting skirting boards to wet plaster is shite, they tend to warp and move about.

Commenting on your original post, I too started out self employed fairly young at 26, and had the same issues with people doubting me. I am now 41 and even though the confidence of youth got me through, looking back now, my skill level improves all the time and I now realise that my early work was nothing special. I expect to continue to learn new methods and gain higher levels perfection as time goes on.

The key is aim for perfect work, be clean and tidy, be polite, and have a general good, professional image, then you will be recommended and you will be busy. I have never advertised and have always had too much work!

Sounds like a right bodge job! As a chippy, there are two things that I find most irritating about the finish of plaster at the bottom of a wall: either there is a bulge left at or just above floor level (meaning I have to plane the back of the skirting),

i do not like to see the build up plaster on the skirting it is simple to scrape the excess plaster back to the plasterboard or undercoat. then the skirting board can fit flat.
the carpenters that we work with fit temp. door linings so we do not pack out to the liners bending the skirting line.

Commenting on your original post, I too started out self employed fairly young at 26, and had the same issues with people doubting me
I mistyped the age at which I went self employed, it was actually 22! Was self employed working for a building company who went a bit quiet for a few weeks so started off doing some work for a family friend, and built up form there.

Status
Not open for further replies.