Life after plastering

Members online

It takes time to learn the trade and get established enough to have enough work and customers to charge top rates.
It is also dependent on local variations but I agree you should not under sell yourself.
A junior doctor will never be on the same rate as a consultant.
Twoddle....

I was charging top rates from day 1....

did you go round quoting customers and say that you have only plastering a few years so I will be cheaper....

Building a customer base takes time I agree.

I do wonder sometimes about people who learn a trade but forget to learn about business.....

Agree It's much harder to put you rates up later....as you would have built a customer base that expects the rates charged

They wont be out quoting for customer's.... they will be classed as an improver... and will/should be working for a proper plasterer....

You either can plaster or you cant... if you cant then sod off and if you can it needs to be right because if not then you cant plaster
You get out wrong side of bed this morning Danny....lol

I see what your saying Jess but that is like saying if you are financially secure as a plasterer why not charge £160 a day for example? problem is it effects everyone else...but unfortunately that is the way the market is...on my surveying course we have a few students who are saying they will be charging £300 for a survey....when our tutor is charging £900 - £1500...he said to them they are crazy and will make it harder for everyone else to get decent fees....
You’d never drop your rate plastering but you’d be going into teaching because you don’t want to be laying on day in day out. Each to their own

They wont be out quoting for customer's.... they will be classed as an improver... and will/should be working for a proper plasterer....

You either can plaster or you cant... if you cant then sod off and if you can it needs to be right because if not then you cant plaster
Exactly my point and an improved will never be on the same money as the guy he/she is working for.

I went to local college few weeks ago 32 students on courses , tbh it was a great experience am back there week after next , no money involved simply there to help out but deep down if I enjoy as much as last time might look into maybe getting properly involved
Teaching is more paper work than teaching. I've done teaching and NVQ assessing and assessing was almost as boring as skimming

Nope just after 15 odd years being on here I am fed up with people pricing so incredibly wrong and it screws every other plasterer up
This is why the whole building trade needs to be better vetted there's gotta be a national average and people shouldn't be allowed to cheat themselves into the trade! I personally know a few guys on checkatrade/my builder profiles are complete lies but there taking the work away from professional folk because there getting there feet in customers doors with there lies!

This is why the whole building trade needs to be better vetted there's gotta be a national average and people shouldn't be allowed to cheat themselves into the trade! I personally know a few guys on checkatrade/my builder profiles are complete lies but there taking the work away from professional folk because there getting there feet in customers doors with there lies!
how can you have a national average you daft monkey

how can you have a national average you daft monkey
Dunno you tell me? I think all jobs should be fair and people should be paid on there skillset like I say building trade aint vetted especially in the domestic sector I could start a whole new business up today and have a advert/website on all of those my builder sites ect! And not one customer would know to f**k! Tree surgeon 20 years experience IL turn up with a chainsaw and a ladder who the f**k knows what's been done right till there down the road with the dollars!