Mental health awareness day

Members online

No members online now.
I went down during the boom. Long after, I realised that it was basically because I'd overdone the drink.

Many years later, a close friend went down. Much worse than me - psychiatrists banging on the windows and all that. Total life falling apart stuff. The medics couldn't take apart the alcoholism and the schizophrenia.... it was a total pain in the arse.

It went on for a considerable time. More than a year anyway.

Every one of the other 'clients of the health service' that I met in that time wasn't looking after themselves. The doctor begged them to but they didn't.

During that time, I moved to Burnley and did some work on line. It was a p**i area and I was very isolated. I caught myself though, (after I'd put on 40lb) and got a dog. With the dog came routine. With routine came better things. With that came the gym. With the gym came better eating and with that I felt great, even in s**t circumstances. And off came the 40lb.

It was hard work but I was happy in circumstances which had almost killed me ten years ago.
Really good to hear your story and how it's turned out for you. Moving to the middle of nowhere helped?? Bet your not far being off grid are you.
I no a few lads come out of the military with bad bouts what they've done and seen just couldn't handle it after that.
I'm watching one of them now his lifes going downhill he's on steroids hitting and aggressive behaviour not giving a s**t about his little boy started a new family with someone else.. Long story. Makes or breaks you though.
I no another lad had to shoot a kid who had a machine gun him or me he said.. It would have finished me that I think.

Stevieo

Really good to hear your story and how it's turned out for you. Moving to the middle of nowhere helped?? Bet your not far being off grid are you.
I no a few lads come out of the military with bad bouts what they've done and seen just couldn't handle it after that.
I'm watching one of them now his lifes going downhill he's on steroids hitting and aggressive behaviour not giving a s**t about his little boy started a new family with someone else.. Long story. Makes or breaks you though.
I no another lad had to shoot a kid who had a machine gun him or me he said.. It would have finished me that I think.
Burnley isn't the middle of nowhere, it's just full of pakis who I have nothing in common with.

Guys who tell stories like that...... I'm deeply suspicious of. Not to call anyone a liar, but it often is. Paradoxically, it's usually the storytelling that flags it up as not true.

Anyway, the long and the short of it is that people who look after themselves rarely go down. It might be hard but if you can force yourself to look after yourself, then you probably won't go down, even in adverse circumstances. And if you do, then the doctor can help.

Otherwise, you'll just be a bag of s**t that's totally beyond help because you won't help yourself.

You listening, @Andy g

Burnley isn't the middle of nowhere, it's just full of pakis who I have nothing in common with.

Guys who tell stories like that...... I'm deeply suspicious of. Not to call anyone a liar, but it often is. Paradoxically, it's usually the storytelling that flags it up as not true.

Anyway, the long and the short of it is that people who look after themselves rarely go down. It might be hard but if you can force yourself to look after yourself, then you probably won't go down, even in adverse circumstances. And if you do, then the doctor can help.

Otherwise, you'll just be a bag of s**t that's totally beyond help because you won't help yourself.

You listening, @Andy g
Sorry mate I had you confused with someone else I think as far as living territory I thought you posted saying you lived in Ireland middle of nowhere.

ex sas this guy he don't look the type to bullshit or mess with.

Totally agree keep fit and healthy good gives a good frame of mind. Been good speaking to you mate I'm going to hit the sack or customer will be angry if I don't turn up.
Take it easy.

Stevieo

Sorry mate I had you confused with someone else I think as far as living territory I thought you posted saying you lived in Ireland middle of nowhere.

ex sas this guy he don't look the type to bullshit or mess with.

Totally agree keep fit and healthy good gives a good frame of mind. Been good speaking to you mate I'm going to hit the sack or customer will be angry if I don't turn up.
Take it easy.
I do live in Ireland now but in a town.
I'm calling no-one a liar, but remember that the SAS is the biggest regiment in the world - apparently. Facebook has thinned it out a bit.

CeeVee

I look at drug addicts and alcoholics with much more sympathy than I used to.
I despises the theiving scum types but always think that with such levels of self medication there must be underlying issues.

A thing my councellor told me really helps me now. When that horrible darkness comes on I think "Ok, this feelings here for a reason, essentially to cloud over something, or tell me something or help me in some way...what is it trying to tell me?"

This puts a kind of mental positive spin on things and helps me a lot.

I look at drug addicts and alcoholics with much more sympathy than I used to.
I despises the theiving scum types but always think that with such levels of self medication there must be underlying issues.

A thing my councellor told me really helps me now. When that horrible darkness comes on I think "Ok, this feelings here for a reason, essentially to cloud over something, or tell me something or help me in some way...what is it trying to tell me?"

This puts a kind of mental positive spin on things and helps me a lot.
They also say " Everybody's only 3 months away from the streets." Some people deal with it better than others but staying healthy, being aware of what is hounding you (sometimes unclear),talking and accepting advice from friends and family all definitely helps. Pleasure exchanging thoughts with you all.