Mental health awareness day

Members online

I went down during the boom. Long after, I realised that it was basically because I'd overdone the drink.

Many years later, a close friend went down. Much worse than me - psychiatrists banging on the windows and all that. Total life falling apart stuff. The medics couldn't take apart the alcoholism and the schizophrenia.... it was a total pain in the arse.

It went on for a considerable time. More than a year anyway.

Every one of the other 'clients of the health service' that I met in that time wasn't looking after themselves. The doctor begged them to but they didn't.

During that time, I moved to Burnley and did some work on line. It was a p**i area and I was very isolated. I caught myself though, (after I'd put on 40lb) and got a dog. With the dog came routine. With routine came better things. With that came the gym. With the gym came better eating and with that I felt great, even in s**t circumstances. And off came the 40lb.

It was hard work but I was happy in circumstances which had almost killed me ten years ago.
Really good to hear your story and how it's turned out for you. Moving to the middle of nowhere helped?? Bet your not far being off grid are you.
I no a few lads come out of the military with bad bouts what they've done and seen just couldn't handle it after that.
I'm watching one of them now his lifes going downhill he's on steroids hitting and aggressive behaviour not giving a s**t about his little boy started a new family with someone else.. Long story. Makes or breaks you though.
I no another lad had to shoot a kid who had a machine gun him or me he said.. It would have finished me that I think.

Really good to hear your story and how it's turned out for you. Moving to the middle of nowhere helped?? Bet your not far being off grid are you.
I no a few lads come out of the military with bad bouts what they've done and seen just couldn't handle it after that.
I'm watching one of them now his lifes going downhill he's on steroids hitting and aggressive behaviour not giving a s**t about his little boy started a new family with someone else.. Long story. Makes or breaks you though.
I no another lad had to shoot a kid who had a machine gun him or me he said.. It would have finished me that I think.

Burnley isn't the middle of nowhere, it's just full of ***** who I have nothing in common with.

Guys who tell stories like that...... I'm deeply suspicious of. Not to call anyone a liar, but it often is. Paradoxically, it's usually the storytelling that flags it up as not true.

Anyway, the long and the short of it is that people who look after themselves rarely go down. It might be hard but if you can force yourself to look after yourself, then you probably won't go down, even in adverse circumstances. And if you do, then the doctor can help.

Otherwise, you'll just be a bag of s**t that's totally beyond help because you won't help yourself.

You listening, @Andy g

Burnley isn't the middle of nowhere, it's just full of ***** who I have nothing in common with.

Guys who tell stories like that...... I'm deeply suspicious of. Not to call anyone a liar, but it often is. Paradoxically, it's usually the storytelling that flags it up as not true.

Anyway, the long and the short of it is that people who look after themselves rarely go down. It might be hard but if you can force yourself to look after yourself, then you probably won't go down, even in adverse circumstances. And if you do, then the doctor can help.

Otherwise, you'll just be a bag of s**t that's totally beyond help because you won't help yourself.

You listening, @Andy g
Sorry mate I had you confused with someone else I think as far as living territory I thought you posted saying you lived in Ireland middle of nowhere.

ex sas this guy he don't look the type to bullshit or mess with.

Totally agree keep fit and healthy good gives a good frame of mind. Been good speaking to you mate I'm going to hit the sack or customer will be angry if I don't turn up.
Take it easy.

Sorry mate I had you confused with someone else I think as far as living territory I thought you posted saying you lived in Ireland middle of nowhere.

ex sas this guy he don't look the type to bullshit or mess with.

Totally agree keep fit and healthy good gives a good frame of mind. Been good speaking to you mate I'm going to hit the sack or customer will be angry if I don't turn up.
Take it easy.

I do live in Ireland now but in a town.
I'm calling no-one a liar, but remember that the SAS is the biggest regiment in the world - apparently. Facebook has thinned it out a bit.

I look at drug addicts and alcoholics with much more sympathy than I used to.
I despises the theiving scum types but always think that with such levels of self medication there must be underlying issues.

A thing my councellor told me really helps me now. When that horrible darkness comes on I think "Ok, this feelings here for a reason, essentially to cloud over something, or tell me something or help me in some way...what is it trying to tell me?"

This puts a kind of mental positive spin on things and helps me a lot.

I look at drug addicts and alcoholics with much more sympathy than I used to.
I despises the theiving scum types but always think that with such levels of self medication there must be underlying issues.

A thing my councellor told me really helps me now. When that horrible darkness comes on I think "Ok, this feelings here for a reason, essentially to cloud over something, or tell me something or help me in some way...what is it trying to tell me?"

This puts a kind of mental positive spin on things and helps me a lot.
They also say " Everybody's only 3 months away from the streets." Some people deal with it better than others but staying healthy, being aware of what is hounding you (sometimes unclear),talking and accepting advice from friends and family all definitely helps. Pleasure exchanging thoughts with you all.

Go on YouTube see god's love letter to you trust me that in your head will not want you to see and hear it if u celebrate Christmas u will love it Jesus is real have a look it will help u big time

13E29046-1EF5-4915-8862-B4DF9ACCD90B.gif

In the right hands I think religion can be a lovely thing for that individual but it’s not for me m’fraid!
Oh don't get me wrong Jess I don't have any problem with anyone taking comfort by believing in any religion, but personally I haven't seen or heard anything that makes me think that any religion is based on anything more than wishful thinking.

Oh don't get me wrong Jess I don't have any problem with anyone taking comfort by believing in any religion, but personally I haven't seen or heard anything that makes me think that any religion is based on anything more than wishful thinking.
Not wishfull thinking Andy faith did u have a look on YouTube

No mate I didn't. Is your god now communicating via YouTube?
Ha ha ha proper told u the thing in your head don't want u to see or hear anything about Jesus cos he's real people are told about him all over the place when you to a funeral or wedding or christening at church that's Gods house did u think the blue sky was made by a scientist no mate it weren't

Ha ha ha proper told u the thing in your head don't want u to see or hear anything about Jesus cos he's real people are told about him all over the place when you to a funeral or wedding or christening at church that's Gods house did u think the blue sky was made by a scientist no mate it weren't
Funny you should mention that. I was at a funeral just yesterday. There wasn't a single mention of Jesus or god. They did play some nice George Michael tracks though.
My friend and his wife died within two months of each other, my mate was just 56. We buried another good friend of mine three years ago aged 53. All really nice decent people who died too young.
If there is a god, he's a c**t.

I think mental health and addiction are two of the hardest things to talk about....Im bi polar and suffered a lot with addiction ...still don't really talk about either in normal life but probably should....a lot of shame comes along with not being able to hold your s**t together when your a big strong man but most of us have demons deep down admitted or not and sometimes they're a big old shadow and it's hard to find the light. I saw a post on Facebook with a crumpled, beaten up 20 pound note and a fresh crisp one and it asked which was worth more...very apt

Funny you should mention that. I was at a funeral just yesterday. There wasn't a single mention of Jesus or god. They did play some nice George Michael tracks though.
My friend and his wife died within two months of each other, my mate was just 56. We buried another good friend of mine three years ago aged 53. All really nice decent people who died too young.
If there is a god, he's a c**t.
I lost my dad a year ago, to dementia ,lost my brother 7 years ago liver packed up through drinking lost my niece age 6 through luekiemia lost my brother in law aged 20 so I know your hurting mate been there the body dies but the soul lives on God's real truth

I think mental health and addiction are two of the hardest things to talk about....Im bi polar and suffered a lot with addiction ...still don't really talk about either in normal life but probably should....a lot of shame comes along with not being able to hold your s**t together when your a big strong man but most of us have demons deep down admitted or not and sometimes they're a big old shadow and it's hard to find the light. I saw a post on Facebook with a crumpled, beaten up 20 pound note and a fresh crisp one and it asked which was worth more...very apt
Most peoples problems stem from childhood emotional problems growing up and take it into when there a adult

Well you’ve done bloody well all things considered. If I was your wife I’d be holding my head up high