natural hydraulic lime or hydrated lime

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peregrine317

Hi Guys,
I'm looking for your advice please, I want to render the internal brickwork of my chimney as I have bought a log burner. Am going to use a lime based render. I've read 3.5 nhl is what I should be using mixed with sharp sand. Can I use hydrated lime instead as all my local builders merchants don't stock nhl and would have to order it in? also can you tell me the ratios please.

pls note I'm only a diy plasterer.

no , you are wasting your time and money, the heat from a log burner will be to powerfull for lime plastering. employ a plasterer who knows what he is doing!

What's the distance between stove & walls? Is the flue going out vertical into chimney or through a wall? A picture would be handy

thanks!!!!!

That's the problem to many plasterers think they no what they're doing and are just full of shiite!!!
So, would you say cement render or hardiebacker board?

i would use vitcas heat resistant plaster ! the same as most plasterers that know what they are doing.

Hi Guys,
I'm looking for your advice please, I want to render the internal brickwork of my chimney as I have bought a log burner. Am going to use a lime based render. I've read 3.5 nhl is what I should be using mixed with sharp sand. Can I use hydrated lime instead as all my local builders merchants don't stock nhl and would have to order it in? also can you tell me the ratios please.

pls note I'm only a diy plasterer.
Just use hydraulic lime nhl 3.5 @ 3.1 and it will be fine

I have a 8.5kw log burner and to be fair it doesn't really get that hot behind there.
I used backer board and tiled the area

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 436
I've a 14kw inside the chimney, the walls around 16 inches away are just rubbed up s&c, been no problem, and that stove gets hot!
IMO problems only arise when flues go through a wall or where there is any other contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.