Old Guy Weber OCR

Northeye

Hi ladies/gents

Im an old skool spread (50 plus years old) so always sand/cement looking to use the new fangled products. Ive been off the tools for the last 15 years (surveying now) so I have lost touch regarding all the new fangled products.
I built an extension out back 4 years ago and used sand/cement with a fine down/Stucco finish (depends where your from) Im currently hacking off my gable end, 50 m2 and was considering using weber OCR as ive seen people getting a good fine down finish with it. I know it costs more but dont think i could manage mixing, carrying up 3 lifts and laying on sand/cement anymore, think it would kill me (getting old is a bitch) at least with this i can load each deck out ready. I was going to go over the red brickwork first with weberrend aid to give it a bit of key. Then 2 coats of OCR with mesh. My question is I have used the consumption calculator on the weber site and it coming up with 58 bags. I Know it all depends on thickness, but if I put 2 coats upto 18-20mm total how far off would I be? Should I add and extra 10% for waste. More to the point does the calculator over compensate, don't want to be 10 bags over at £13.00 plus a bag.
Also any tips on using it over and above sand/cement or recommendations for a product that would be better For the job

Thanks for any input

Last edited:
OCR stands for one coat render. not 2 coats. Apply rend aid with mesh. give it a scratch let it cure. the OCR. Weber give a good finish.
As you have been out of trade for so long it would be better to employ a renderer.

Hi malc, will just one coat manage to pull it out to get it flat and plumb? I have seen (was planning to do) people putting on a coat, inbed the mesh, scratch then put another ontop the same day, or following day to get enough thickness to be able to rule off flat. You maybe right as if applying rend aid first that will take some hollows out and act as a thin scratch coat.
As for getting someone else in, never, not as long as I can still grip my Marshaltown

Hi malc, will just one coat manage to pull it out to get it flat and plumb? I have seen (was planning to do) people putting on a coat, inbed the mesh, scratch then put another ontop the same day, or following day to get enough thickness to be able to rule off flat. You maybe right as if applying rend aid first that will take some hollows out and act as a thin scratch coat.
As for getting someone else in, never, not as long as I can still grip my Marshaltown
The brick wall should be plumb and flat. You have time on your hands when you apply the rend aid so place the mesh in the rend aid this will also flatten out the wall if needed.
On render I work with my son , we would have our hit on at 10 30 am this will be finished by 2. 30 pm.
50 m square on you own is not something that I would look forward to. You will need a powerful paddle mixer 1800 any thing less will not knock up OCR.

The brick wall should be plumb and flat. You have time on your hands when you apply the rend aid so place the mesh in the rend aid this will also flatten out the wall if needed.
On render I work with my son , we would have our hit on at 10 30 am this will be finished by 2. 30 pm.
50 m square on you own is not something that I would look forward to. You will need a powerful paddle mixer 1800 any thing less will not knock up OCR.
I will be splitting it up into 3 bays with drip beads, apex, mid section and lower section with a small plinth, so will make it more manageable. I would never attempt to bring it all in one on my own, if dashing maybe but not fine down. Would OCR be a good choice for this finish in your opinion, there appear to be so many different brands out there? Regarding quantity, would you say roughly a bag per m2 then 10% for wasteage?
Thanks for taking the time and passing on your advice. Im quite looking forward to getting stuck in tbh