Old school tools

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pftmonojetman

Private Member
image.jpeg
Thought I go and see my old mentor today, not seen him for 20 years. I was driving past and thought f**k it I'll call in on him, I was wondering if he was still alive tbh. Knocks on his door and blow me he answered still looks good for his age at 84. Lost loads of weight and blind in one eye. Great to see him after all these years, got chatting about the old days as you do, his memory is as sharp as a razor. He turned to me as I was leaving and said do you want any tools, he gave me some straight edges a couple of darbies, a set of joint rules and a set of Tyzack coving trowels among other things all about 50 years old. I'll be looking after them make no mistake. Made my f**k**g day, to see him not because of the tools but great to see the man who taught me, one of the best tradesmen I've ever come across

Nice one.

I bet after you'd gone he was wondering where all the years went between him being an apprentice and now. Time can be a cruel mistress.

Good old twitcher there. Unfortunately my old boss was money driven and full of s**t. I've seen him once since i left, at his wifes funeral. Spread some nasty rumours when I left. Think he was bitter that I was giving it a shot

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

View attachment 10760 Thought I go and see my old mentor today, not seen him for 20 years. I was driving past and thought f**k it I'll call in on him, I was wondering if he was still alive tbh. Knocks on his door and blow me he answered still looks good for his age at 84. Lost loads of weight and blind in one eye. Great to see him after all these years, got chatting about the old days as you do, his memory is as sharp as a razor. He turned to me as I was leaving and said do you want any tools, he gave me some straight edges a couple of darbies, a set of joint rules and a set of Tyzack coving trowels among other things all about 50 years old. I'll be looking after them make no mistake. Made my f**k**g day, to see him not because of the tools but great to see the man who taught me, one of the best tradesmen I've ever come across

Back then plastering was a real trade. Not like now.

Good old twitcher there. Unfortunately my old boss was money driven and full of s**t. I've seen him once since i left, at his wifes funeral. Spread some nasty rumours when I left. Think he was bitter that I was giving it a shot

I had that treatment off my old boss when I stopped working for him, 6 years I done for him (from 15 years old) took 2 weeks off all together in the whole time I worked for him. 7am until 5pm, non stop. One pay rise in the whole 6 years. He'd laugth and shout things when someone would ring me for a little skimming job, say I won't be able to do it etc.

I couldn't fault the stuff I leant off him and how to do things right but he was a asshole when he wanted to be.

and look at you know ste @beddy
IMG-20160321-WA0000.jpeg

View attachment 10760 Thought I go and see my old mentor today, not seen him for 20 years. I was driving past and thought f**k it I'll call in on him, I was wondering if he was still alive tbh. Knocks on his door and blow me he answered still looks good for his age at 84. Lost loads of weight and blind in one eye. Great to see him after all these years, got chatting about the old days as you do, his memory is as sharp as a razor. He turned to me as I was leaving and said do you want any tools, he gave me some straight edges a couple of darbies, a set of joint rules and a set of Tyzack coving trowels among other things all about 50 years old. I'll be looking after them make no mistake. Made my f**k**g day, to see him not because of the tools but great to see the man who taught me, one of the best tradesmen I've ever come across
My dad is 78 years and there's no way he would go on a forum...but was just thinking it would be wicked if your old gaffer came on here 85 years old..gosh he would put everyone straight on here.

That is pucker :) I love old tools :D I get sent a tonne of old tools from grandparents and what not :)

Dont make them like they use to for sure :D

Plastering still is a real trade. its just most so called plasterers are not real tradesmen.imo
Looking for site work a couple of months ago I saw an ad...' Labourer required for plastering duties, skimming, patching up...'
That's when it finally dawned on me this great, skilled old trade is done.

My dad is 78 years and there's no way he would go on a forum...but was just thinking it would be wicked if your old gaffer came on here 85 years old..gosh he would put everyone straight on here.
ser
I've got a set of books called "Lost voices of the (First world war/d-day etc) be nice if someone did a book lost voices of the construction industry some old school stories before the old boys die off, I'll bet it would be hilarious

Looking for site work a couple of months ago I saw an ad...' Labourer required for plastering duties, skimming, patching up...'
That's when it finally dawned on me this great, skilled old trade is done.
And we only have ourselves to blame.

ser

I've got a set of books called "Lost voices of the (First world war/d-day etc) be nice if someone did a book lost voices of the construction industry some old school stories before the old boys die off, I'll bet it would be hilarious
Cracking shout that @CeeVee

When I was a nipper labouring for my dad on sats and school holidays, the plasterer was King. He'd turn up on site/house and tell the chippy to make him a hop up, which they would, straight away.
Even when I started spreading myself when young,if there was ever a dispute who should be in a room 1st at any time, spread, chippy, sparks, plumber, the plasterer would always get preference. If the site agent disputed it the plasterer would up tools and leave, and at that time a good plasterer was like gold dust. Erm, similar to now but a good PLASTERER is more like rocking horse s**t

Just let it go will ya. Celtic are a bigger team :bailando:

i am only 68 birthday a couple of weeks ago. i know mac1, freddie, is in his 70s, and topstoop is also in his 70s if he is still about he was having a battle with the big C
How many years are you plastering Malc?.

Status
Not open for further replies.